General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Brake controlers

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2002, 08:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake controlers

I have a open car trailer and was wondering what your preference is for a brake controller?
Old 10-31-2002, 09:16 AM

Re:Brake controlers

I am a big fan of the Prodigy controller. Its a little on the high, no its on the high side...around $125 but is woth it. The controller requires virtually no adjustment once set. I recently towed from Virginia to Utah and back. The only adjustment I made was to turn on the optional boost when in City traffic (folks in St Louis seem to have questionable driving skills). Great product. Another benefit is they have an optioanl wiring harness that plugs into the factory harness. Around $8 and you have no splices. Check 'em out. There are several good controllers on the market now...the Prodigy is one of them. I got mine through southwest wheel but there are a lot of sources including some ebay dealers.<br><br>Tim
Old 10-31-2002, 09:30 AM

I also am a big fan of the Prodigy, but wait until the Jordan guys get in here! <br><br>Tony
Old 10-31-2002, 10:25 AM

I used a inexpensive Draw-tite controller for years. I always thought fancy controller just more money thats all. I finally read enough posts talking about how great the Prodigy was I bought one. A huge difference over my old one.<br> Everytime I stopped and started with my old controller the fifth wheel would klunk foward and backward. It rarely if ever does that with the Prodigy. Stopping improved all around. I have also read about how good the Jordon is, but I have never used one.<br><br>FWIW Randy
Old 11-01-2002, 11:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I also have the Prodigy, no complaints, easy hookup/setup.<br>It works so well that I forget I'm towing a trailer.<br>
Old 11-01-2002, 02:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We used to have a controller with a whole bunch of variabillity. Trying to think of the make........... Teconsha???? Something like that.???<br><br>It was kind of a pain in the butt....<br><br>Now we just have good old SIMPLE Draw Tite.. works just fine for me!<br><br>I usually turn the braking power way down unless loaded really heavy anyway.