General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

12V / 24V Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2004, 11:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
12V / 24V Dilemma

Interested in what you guys think....

I recently found the elusive 98 12V ext cab SHORTBOX. 4X4 and 5 speed. SLT Laramie....not completely loaded, but pretty close. Less than 100k, dealer serviced and 1 owner, no towing.(he just towed a small ski boat). Yeah it has a fleetguard oil filter on it. Fairly complete service records as well.

I know that is a very rare truck and all. But, my 2001 is purty nice...all decked out - SLT+, leather, H.O., 6 speed (which I wouldnt mind getting rid of), hard tonneau cover, high idle, Jacobs E-Brake, Espar heater (pretty sure I can take that off), articulating fifth wheel hitch, plus some more stuff. No preformance mods yet. 40K and on the original lift pump and the truck has had very good maintenance (original owner owned a Cummins repair shop). I do want to do some bombing (injectors and maybe a Comp or a drag comp). But have lots of warranty left and am hesitant due to the fuel delivery/lift pump/injector pump problems but realize I have to do additional mods (larger fuel line etc.). The other thing is that I will miss the QUAD CAB.....

On the other hand....the 98 12V would be cheaper and easier to bomb.....paint has more dings, and generally isnt near as fancy as my 2001. Of course there would be extra work going through the truck changing fluids and general maintenance things. But, I could throw in a fuel plate, 3k or 4k spring kit, hi volume intake, exhaust and I'd be pretty much done. Id like to end up with aroun 350-425 H.P. somewhere around there. This truck hasnt ever had the timing adjusted, or valves adjusted....the owner wants over $22k Canadian $....I know its a lot of money, but these trucks are expensive up here....

So I dunno....what do you think?

TIA.....and sorry for the length....
Old 01-25-2004, 12:09 AM
Banned

well in the years to come the 24 v will probly be worth more ...as far as warentee... Corky Bell (Max Boost) says it is a terable thing to wait for your warenttee to begone... If it blows up (bombed) either way your not coverd, so Why wait to start with a more worn out eng.?(and deprive yopurself of all that fun....
I hope I made that sort of clear ....anyway think about it ....
Old 01-25-2004, 08:52 AM

I would not hesitate,but I am very onesided to the 12v as you will find most are 12v opinionated. I am leaning towards the overall dependability of the 12v in less electronics,fueling problems and the upgrading issues. Now that does not mean it doesn't have some quirks of its own, Goodluck on your decision,,, Rick
Old 01-25-2004, 10:21 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I'd keep your current truck, you've got a lot of goodies on it.
Old 01-25-2004, 10:48 AM

what is that in the equivelent of us dollars? also...if i were to make the switch...i would say it would have to be for the QUAD cab version...no substitute in my mind
Old 01-25-2004, 05:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go for it! I would, if I could.
Old 01-25-2004, 09:37 PM

Dr,

Read your message twice, sounds like you REALLY want to do this and are "hoping" everyone will agree with you. Ya gotta do what ya gotta do!

As if it means anything......IMO......

Make yourself happy and never look back....
Old 01-26-2004, 03:23 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I generally prefer 24V. No pump timing to check, no GSKs and all that fun. 24Vs are just less maintenance. Plug it in and go!

If you want to go big with the bombing, then you're going to need the fire-hose fueling of the p-pump.

But at less than 500hp, the 24V is the way to go.

Justin
Old 01-27-2004, 11:14 AM

Thanks for your opinions guys - I value your advice....

Anyone else have anything to add???
Old 01-27-2004, 11:30 AM

Go with 24v.

Now where is that 12v shortbed 5speed for sale at?
Old 01-27-2004, 01:17 PM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
I'd keep the 01. Especially for the stuff you have already in there.
You know the history of yours, doesn't seem like it on the 12V.
And if you want to bomb, the advantage of detuning the truck with the push of a button on the 24V comes in handy on slippery roads.
Does your 01 have the rear disc brakes?

AlpineRAM
Old 01-27-2004, 01:23 PM

Originally posted by AlpineRAM
I'd keep the 01. Especially for the stuff you have already in there.
You know the history of yours, doesn't seem like it on the 12V.
And if you want to bomb, the advantage of detuning the truck with the push of a button on the 24V comes in handy on slippery roads.
Does your 01 have the rear disc brakes?

AlpineRAM
Very good point about the slippery roads....I had planned on installing a valet switch on the 12V after I get/got it bombed. This would allow me to "detune" when on the slippery roads.

No, Markus the 01 was an early 01, its complete with a #53 block and NO rear disks....
Old 01-27-2004, 01:52 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am a little biased but...Go 12 V !! LOL....

I personally think there are 2 types of guys to drive these diesels. Those that like to use a wrench to fine tune the fuel/power aspects and those who trust "the box". I am from the old tinkeritis backround, so mechanical is just peachy.

500 Hp wouldn't be bad either..LOL But I think baby steps are in order.

J-eh
Old 01-27-2004, 06:11 PM

So what is it going to be??? Have you made a decision yet?? Think long think wrong Let us know,some of us have inquiring minds Goodluck,, Rick
Old 01-27-2004, 08:15 PM

stick with the 24v...I am partial to new stuff though I wouldn't trade down in trucks just to get the motor, granted I don't wrench on my trucks and cars I take them in to get fixed. But it makes no since to go backwards, and that is what you are doing if you buy it..... just my thoughts

Quick Reply: 12V / 24V Dilemma