GADTR #40 Forum for the Georgia chapter #40

Duramax vs. Supercharged Cobra video

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 12:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Duramax vs. Supercharged Cobra video

Just thought I'd share a little video with you guys. LB7 Dmax in my sig on 35's, but agreed to detune a little for this race Cobra is a 95 5.0 with Vortech V-2 supercharger @ 8psi w/ matched cam, heads, and a LOT more on Nitto Drag Radials. Cobra turned a 12.2 @ the track, and Dmax hasn't been run with the new fuel setup.

LB7 specs are 02 Duramax, 150 hp EDM'd injectors and matched twin CP3's from Wicked Diesel, FASS Fuel System, Garrett GT 40 Turbo (74mm), SoCal Diesel Stage II CNC'd Ported and Polished Heads, Street Cam with Upgrades to Valves,Springs,Push Tubes ect., ARP Head and Crank Studs, Crank and Cam Keyed, 20 over Malhe Pistons, Piston Skirts Coated and Bowls delipped, Modified Oil Pump, ATS Intercooler, Suncoast Stage 5 with billet shafts, Suncoast Transfer Case Bracket, BD Manifold, Snow Stage III Water/Meth, Bullydog Propane, Twin Electric Fans, PPE 425 tune, Maxx Torsion Keys, 35" Nitto Mud Grapplers

Here's the vid:

Link removed for street racing.

Last edited by t-boe; 10-18-2009 at 08:21 AM. Reason: Profanity in the youtube comments
Old 10-17-2009, 10:00 PM
Banned

duramax maybe fast but how many of those runs can it take before you know what and how much money did it take to get there. Go buy urself some real trucks. cummins which can do that over and over for much less money and no worries.
Old 10-18-2009, 08:12 AM
Chapter President

Very Nice Mike. I thought your old truck was set up for sled pulling only, looks like it is doing a great job on the "DRAG" scene......as well. Good luck in finding a new Dodge for yourself.
Len
Old 10-18-2009, 08:14 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by theonlyz
duramax maybe fast but how many of those runs can it take before you know what and how much money did it take to get there. Go buy urself some real trucks. cummins which can do that over and over for much less money and no worries.
That's real freakin nice. How about be constructive or don't say anything at all?

Nice truck, brother. Looks like you've got a lot of work in that thing, keep up.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:34 AM

HOLY CRAP That looked pretty fast! ncie truck
Old 10-18-2009, 11:35 AM
Chapter President

This is to theonlyz. Not a cool comment you made to only his 7th post on DTR. He has 2 D-max trucks and both are nicely built as I know him and have seen both trucks. He is currently looking for a 3rd gen with a 5.9 to purchase. Not a good way to welcome someone over here at DTR!
Old 10-18-2009, 09:39 PM
Banned

Well it was not meant to be mean like you all are making out to be but if you want to make my comments what they arnt and turn it on me whatever. Last I checked I still have freedom of speach and according to the rules of the sight I have done nothing wrong other than give an opinion. Which was constructive criticsm not to mention I just stated the truth about a duramax. Why do you think hes looking for a cummins? Wow ya all need to chill out and have some humor.

Since you want to make me out to be the mean bad guy....Last I checked road racing is highly illegal. Not to metion what if someone poped around that corner at the end to only find a mustang in their lane. Take it to the track thats what its for.
Old 10-18-2009, 11:18 PM

I always enjoy a little constructive criticism. Haha. There are die-hard fans of every brand out there, and there are guys who will argue with you all day that the 6.0 'Stroke is 5 times the motor that a Cummins is. You just can't tell some people anything. I personally believe that the Cummins is the strongest motor out there, but after owning three 2nd gens, I developed a disdain for the Dodge truck. Not the Cummins, mind you, but the rest of the truck. I am currently in the market for a newer Cummins, because I think that the build quality of the truck has improved by leaps and bounds.

I also believe that the Duramax is a GREAT motor, and is the easiest to get to the 600 rwhp level (trans, lift pump, tune), which is all I desire out of a daily driver. They are also extremely reliable motors, and have earned quite a name for themselves for the short time they have been in existence. You have to remember that it took a while for the 5.9 to develop the rock-solid reputation that it has today. The truck in the video has over 300,000 miles on the odometer. It was daily-driven at a 500+ rwhp level for 180,000 miles with no issues whatsoever, including 54 passes down the 1/4 mile and over 30 hooks to the sled. It was built at 280,000 for performance reasons, not because it needed it. As far as I'm concerned, that's pretty **** reliable.

And if you still have any doubts about the Duramax's power or build quality, I'll be more than happy to meet you at the 1/4 mile track of your choice, and you can pick the truck you'd like to race. Trust me, the LBZ has a WAY shorter mods list than your Cummins then we'll drink a beer after the race.

Also, as far as any implied illegality goes, allow me to put that to rest immediately. That road is a privately owned Zone 6 Farm Road in Three Rivers, TX and is owned/used/maintained exclusively by Chase Storch of Artemis Outdoors, the driver of the Mustang. The video was shot by an off-duty agent of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:05 AM

what kind of MPG's dp ypu see with that truck? i've seen a few at the truck stops, start talking and it seems like if they are pulling anything heavy their MPG's go to crap.... their empty MPG's seems pretty reasonable though.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very impressive run...
Old 10-19-2009, 09:49 AM

Nice vid, and a very fast truck especially for over 300 on the clock. Keep it up and can't wait to see what you do with the cummins once you get her.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:12 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Well it was not meant to be mean like you all are making out to be but if you want to make my comments what they arnt and turn it on me whatever. Last I checked I still have freedom of speach and according to the rules of the sight I have done nothing wrong other than give an opinion. Which was constructive criticsm not to mention I just stated the truth about a duramax. Why do you think hes looking for a cummins? Wow ya all need to chill out and have some humor.

Since you want to make me out to be the mean bad guy....Last I checked road racing is highly illegal. Not to metion what if someone poped around that corner at the end to only find a mustang in their lane. Take it to the track thats what its for.
You're right. Americans have freedom of speech. However, on a privately owned website, we have the right to censor or edit information. Due to your suggestion, I went and found some humor. Enjoy it.

Due to your complaint, I will remove the video.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:20 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

I am sorry that I had to remove the link, gents, but we do have a clause about street racing here in our rules. I realize that it was on a country road and that there was not traffic, but I have to enforce the rules for everyone.

Mike, I apoligize for one of your first threads turning into a train wreck. I'll owe you a few at the DTR bar.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by cmac
what kind of MPG's dp ypu see with that truck? i've seen a few at the truck stops, start talking and it seems like if they are pulling anything heavy their MPG's go to crap.... their empty MPG's seems pretty reasonable though.

Gets 22-23 combination unloaded, and gets around 16-17 towing my JD 4020 or T330. For comparison, my last Cummins got around 20 unloaded and 16-17 when towing that same weight, so the Dmax gets a little better unloaded, but about the same when towing, with my driving habits.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:04 PM

thats pretty dang good!!! ok thats actually great if you ask me! sounds like you got a couple really nice rigs

Quick Reply: Duramax vs. Supercharged Cobra video