Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

Why has gas went down and diesel went up?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2005, 05:14 PM
DTR's Self Appointed Beer Advisor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FordTough
I came across this site because I was looking to find out why diesel prices are so high. I didnt find any good answers, but alot of good ideas. I know I shouldnt be posting here because I dont drive a Dodge but I do feel your pain. Diesel jumped from 3.10 to 3.35 here overnight. Instead of paying at the pumps you should make your own.
http://www.realgoods.com/renew/shop/...700&ts=4000001
That would really stick to the *** bag oil companies. Do some research. No modifications needed except maybe a fuel tank heater and heated fuel filter. Both not very big purchases when you look at the big picture of how much you can save. This is something I have been strongly considering for a few months now and not heard one bad thing about it.
'03 F350 Lariat 4x4
7.3 turbo diesel
1ton dually
Supercrew
I'll pass... A lot of fuel can be bought for $3400. Welcome to the site though.

Britt

Old 10-21-2005, 05:23 PM

Thanks for the welcome. It may not be viable to some, but to people like me who go threw about $150 a week its well worth it. I figured if I can make it at even $1.25 a gallon it will have paid itself of in 6 months. And who knows how high it will be in 6 months? There might be a 3 foot wave somewhere in the Gulf of Mexico that could drive diesel up to $4/gallon.
Old 10-21-2005, 06:29 PM

fuel price here is 1.049 per liter and gas price is .949 per liter. I do not get it.
Old 10-21-2005, 06:40 PM

Went up agin today 3.71 for #2. 3.72 X 35 = $130.20 for one tank of fuel. Which means if it stays like this for a year I will have spent 3124.80 in fuel for a year. I wish it was tax deducatable.
Old 10-21-2005, 07:00 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
That would really stick to the *** bag oil companies.
Only problem is the amount of used deep fry oil generated in this country isn't even 1% of the amount of diesel used. It won't be long till waste oil is hard to come by as more people catch on.
Old 10-21-2005, 07:11 PM

how about a million truck drive in wash d.c.? all diesel?
Old 10-21-2005, 08:00 PM
DTR's Self Appointed Beer Advisor

There might be a 3 foot wave somewhere in the Gulf of Mexico that could drive diesel up to $4/gallon.
Your right about that!

Britt

Old 10-21-2005, 08:03 PM

a few things to add here... mostly things I've heard (have no proof of but make logical sense).

Diesel production has been cut. Plain and simple. They are using the production cuts in diesel to increase gasoline production to make the general public quit complaining about 'high' gas prices. They are also currently making and stock piling home heating oil which cuts into diesel production. The only problem with that logic is that anything that is shipped overland by truck will see a price increase to pay for the increased price of operation(fuel cost). Soccer mom may feel good about paying $2.24 for gas(in Wichita) but I'm sure she's gonna wonder why she's paying more for her Thanksgiving turkey than last year.

Production capacity is still down in the Gulf Coast region. Combine that with a general cut in diesel production and you unnaturally inflate the price of diesel.

In general, this is the time of year that fuel prices increase due to 'winter blend', home heating oil production and harvest. Prices always rise in Kansas when it's harvest season. Farmers have to get the crops out and it takes plenty of fuel to run combines in the fields and grain wagons on the four lane. Simple supply and demand.... farmers need fuel and will buy it, lets raise our prices and make some cash; it happens every year. In my travels around the state, I have seen plenty of fields that remain uncut and I suspect some will stay that way because of these fuel prices. Good for hunting, bad for farmers.

Just a farmboy turned engineer's thoughts...
Old 10-26-2005, 12:20 AM

I really dont even drive that much anymore. I used to take it to the store, now I drive the jeep. I am trying to wait it out as much as I can. This weekend I have to drive about 480+- miles and will shell out probably 140.00 dollars for one tank of fuel. It used to cost 40.00 about two years ago. what the h e double hockey sticks.
Old 11-01-2005, 12:10 PM

:I've just returned from San Felipe, Mexico. Diesel there works out to $1.87 per gallon. I wish I live close enough to the border to fill up consistently. Pemex is government owned and consistant throughout the country.
Old 02-04-2006, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by infidel
According to this it's more than half

About 46% of each barrel of crude oil is refined into automobile gasoline
In the US and Canada an average of 3 gallons of crude oil are consumed per person each day
The US uses 66 billion gallons of diesel and 120 billion gallons of gasoline per year
186 Billion gallons is equal to an area of 384 square miles 1 foot deep

Product Refined Gallons per Barrel
Gasoline 19.3
Distillate Fuel Oil (Inc. Home Heating and Diesel Fuel) 9.83
Kerosene Type Jet Fuel 4.24
Residual Fuel Oil 2.10
Petroleum Coke 2.10
Liquefied Refinery Gases 1.89
Still Gas 1.81
Asphalt and Road Oil 1.13
Petrochemical Feed Supplies 0.97
Lubricants 0.46
Kerosene 0.21
Waxes 0.04
Aviation Fuel 0.04
Other Products 0.34
From my understanding the answer is in Infidels facts. Barrels of crude are not refined into only Diesel or gasoline. What you see above is what you get per barrel. One barrel produces more gas than Diesel. So as the demand for Diesel rises, a surplus of gasoline is formed. One goes up and the other goes down.

Just a thought.
Old 02-04-2006, 05:27 PM

Diesel Price

Here diesel has been at the Kroger, $2.49. If you buy $100 worth at the store, you get up to 25 gal for a .10 discount. Making it 2.39 gal. Now it is 2.59, with discount, 2.49. You can only get 25 gal with the discount. javahjoeo from Kokomo
Old 02-05-2006, 02:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
January 11, 2006
Belize To Begin Exporting Oil To USA

Above: Crude Oil on Sale at Gas Station in Spanish Lookout, Belize.

Belmopan,Belize 11 January (Belizean.com) Belize will make its first export of crude oil to the USA later this week following the discovery of oil in commercial quantities late last year.

For the past nine days, tanker trucks have been transporting thousands of barrels of Belizean oil from wells in the Spanish Lookout area of Western Belize to the Big Creek port to fill a forty-five thousand barrel barge waiting in the harbour. From there it will be shipped to Texas for refining.
Belize Natural Energy officials told the media today that the first well, Michael Usher Number One, is producing approximately eight hundred barrels a day while Usher Two is flowing at a rate of one thousand barrels a day. Production testing is being done on these wells, and the oil extracted is what is being exported to the USA. Two more wells are now being drilled. And five other companies have applied for licenses to drill for oil in other parts of Belize.

According to Andre Cho, an official in he Belize Petroleum Office, the Belize Sweet Crude Light oil is similar in quality to the west Texas intermediate crude oil, which at this time is selling for about sixty-two U.S. dollars per.
Belize has no oil refinery, but the crude oil is of such a high quality that at least one gasoline station is selling Belize Sweet Light Crude at US$1.80 a gallon. Some motorists are blending the oil and diesel half and half to run their diesel powered vehicles. Some larger engines, like those in large trucks and heavy equipment, are using the oil without any mixing.
Old 02-06-2006, 01:50 AM

Angry ANGRY, and proud of it!!!

OK, I know that if most of you guys are like me, you're FED UP hearing about how ExxonMobil had the highest profits of any company in U.S. history last quarter. I, for one don't want to contribute to that slush fund. I received an email from a friend some time ago regarding oil sources of oil companies and it made me curious when I saw the astronomical profits that ExxonMobil was posting. So, I decided to do some research and low-and-behold, ExxonMobil is the largest importer of Middle Eastern oil in the world and it's on top of the OPEC buying list. I don't know about you guys, but since September 11th, 2001, I haven't felt very comfortable knowing that we're dependent on nations that harbor and produce terrorists to supply us with the oil we need to function as a nation. Now, seeing that a U.S. company like ExxonMobil has the choice of where to get it's source oil from, either OPEC sponsored nations, or non-OPEC nations including Canada, Mexico, and Great Britain to name a few, its disturbing to me that they don't mind making HUGE profits on the heels of a natural disaster and do it while using oil imported from nations that are not necessarily looking out for our best interests. I, as a concerned American feel that it is our duty to show our like or dislike of ANY company if it does business for the sole purpose of making a dollar and doesn't care whether it affects the safety or livelihood of the people of this country. Therefore, I am boycotting ExxonMobil and any and all interests that they support, effective immediately. Additionally, my research found that the following companies DO NOT import from OPEC sponsored nations:

Sunoco
Citgo
Shell Oil
Flying J Petro - yes, they do buy their own oil
Sinclair

There are a few others but these are the most recognizable and the ones that you can fill up at and do so without feeling guilty about lining the pockets of a wide-grinning ExxonMobil executive. I usually fill up at Citgo or Flying J when I get the opportunity. The unneeded price gouging has got to stop but more than that, the "make a buck at any cost" has got to stop and WE are the only ones that can make it happen. I hope this at the very least opens the eyes of those that think that ALL oil companies are the same, because they are not.
Sincerely,
One angry but PROUD American!!!
Old 02-06-2006, 04:49 AM

Do some more research, the gas you buy at shell or citco or flying j may or may not be theirs. It all comes through the same pipe.

Oil companies are not your enemy

check to see how much tax you are paying on a gallon of fuel

some states get as much as 30 cent per gallon

texas gets 20 cents

georgia gets 11 cents, and we have pretty good roads

thats just state tax, you'd be surprised to see how much fuel actually cost before all the taxes are put on it

I know you have to pay taxes, but comeon 30 cents for just state, they're the real crooks

Quick Reply: Why has gas went down and diesel went up?