Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

The war in Iraq and fuel

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 04:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I read somewhere this weekend that when we started this war w/ Iraq oil was $30 per barrell. I havent verified to see if entirely true but I am sure probably fairly accurate given the source of the information. Cant rexactly recall the source but it wasnt something like Teen Beat or the National Enquirer or some BS publication.
Old 03-17-2008, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stinkindiesel
I was reading that diesel is cheaper than gas in Europe because they distill fuel using hydrocracking of the crude, where we use catalytic cracking. Our way makes something like 35% gas, 10% diesel and the balance in jet fuel, light fuel oil, home heating oil, heavy fuel oil and some other stuff I can't remember. The Europanese use hydrocracking, and it produces @ 25% gas and 25% diesel and blah blah other oil we don't burn in our trucks blah blah, which is a better ratio for us oilburners.
The guy who wrote the article said if we had green lights across the board, it'd take a minimum of 5 years to retrofit our refineries to do it the European way.
They'll never do it because there's no market for it here. Diesel consumption is a drop in the bucket compared to gasoline use in this country. We're a gasoline economy and Europe isn't. And all the new diesel cars and small pickups the big three have planned for production in the next couple of years catching on isn't a given. There's a lot of money to be made on the right investments these days media "recession hype" notwithstanding. If you can't beat em join em.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That wouldnt surprise me.. we have this weird thing going for gasoline instead of diesel here in the US. Theres supposedly even processes in place to convert ULSD to gasoline. talk about screwey priorities. I mean, what powers the trucks and trains that ship your goods?
The time is ripe for some alternative fuels.. algae biodiesel!