Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

Jet Fuel, JP5/JP8

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 07:35 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Jet Fuel, JP5/JP8

Just wondering, not like I live near a certain Air Staion that the Marine Corps owns, but does anyone know anything about JP5? And, will it run a CUMMINS?? It is the fuel that the F/A-18's run. I know that it is a lower grade fuel, but could not really find anything out on the www last time I looked. Is there any where that does fuel testing the way that they do for oil samples?
Old 12-02-2006, 07:54 PM
FDC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't know about JP5, but my 1st gen used to drink JP8 every once in awhile. Usually after we got out of the field. I have absolutely no idea how it got in the tank.
Old 12-02-2006, 08:13 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

I know that they run some of the regular diesels off of it, but my warranty is about out, and I don't want to chance it... I mean... uhh, how did that get there?
FDC, don't you appreciate it when someone borrows your truck, and they fill it up for you?
Old 12-02-2006, 10:13 PM
FDC

Originally Posted by madhat
I know that they run some of the regular diesels off of it, but my warranty is about out, and I don't want to chance it... I mean... uhh, how did that get there?
FDC, don't you appreciate it when someone borrows your truck, and they fill it up for you?
LOL. Yep, it's nice when the truck fills itself up. On a serious note...I haven't run that stuff in a 2nd or 3rd gen truck yet.
Old 12-02-2006, 10:24 PM
DTR's "Cooler than ice cubes 14 miles North of North Pole" member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I used to work for a small FAA Part 135 operation and we had JP5/8 arround all the time. If memory serves me correctly JP5 or 8 is a more refined fuel than regular Diesel fuel. (Just like the difference between unleaded and premium.) Should work no problems. We used it in our Herman-nelsons and other oil burning heater units.
Old 12-02-2006, 11:13 PM

i know who's filling up our rides, Little green men
Old 12-03-2006, 10:24 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Check your owner's manual.
Where the 2nd genner's with their mechanical pumps which were oil cooled could get away with running the lower lubricity fuels like JP-XXX in a pinch, the newer 'fuel cooled' pumps don't react very well to the "Dry" jet fuels.
Besides, isn't using non-taxed jet fuel on the road along the same lines as using "red" fuuel on the highway?

Self edit to correct info.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:34 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
The 1st gen pump (VE) is cooled and lubricated by fuel. Ed is thinking of the 2nd gen 12 valve P7100 pump, which is lubricated with engine oil.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:36 AM

Yup, He's right........ <back to my corner> .......
Old 12-03-2006, 12:49 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Originally Posted by Shovelhead
Check your owner's manual.
Where the 2nd genner's with their mechanical pumps which were oil cooled could get away with running the lower lubricity fuels like JP-XXX in a pinch, the newer 'fuel cooled' pumps don't react very well to the "Dry" jet fuels.
Besides, isn't using non-taxed jet fuel on the road along the same lines as using "red" fuuel on the highway?

Self edit to correct info.

So, back to my ? about sending it in to get it checked somewhere?
Who said anything about using it? BTW, it's not RED!! What are they going to do, use a crystal ball?
Old 12-03-2006, 01:03 PM

I havent had any experience with this... but Cummins does have ECM flash for running JET A in the VP44 engines.
Old 12-03-2006, 04:29 PM

You could probably run it if you added non-detergent motor oil or 2-stoke oil to add enough lubricity to keep the pump happy.

I guess it's becoming all about avoiding the price at the pump.
Just curious, as taxpayers, don't WE pay for that fuel?

Here's a little more info:
http://stinet.dtic.mil/oai/oai?&verb...fier=ADA150796

Try a Google search for "JP-5" or "JP-5 in a diesel engine"

For a lab I found this one:
http://www.herguth.com/fluid/diesel_engine_oil.htm
Old 12-03-2006, 05:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I figured I would go to my AC65-9A Airframe& Powerplant mechanic general handbook and look to see what i can find. Chapter 4 talks about the different jet fuels. I believe JP-5, JP-8 and miltary designations for fuels but its been so long since went over any of that stuff in school. According to this Advisory Circular JP-5 and JET-A are the same. Very similar to Kerosene with a lower frezzing point and higher flash point. I used to run Jet-A sump fuel in My rabbit and use it in my heater at home. I soon with be starting a new job with a large supply of sump fuel and will be burning it in the truck. As long is you still use diesel some of the time lubrication shouldn't be a problem. Adding an Lube additive of your choice would also be a good idea. On side note to this on sump fuel. If they sump fuel drum (55gal) at my last job needed to get hauled away by safety clean the bill was 800.00 or so. That was before my diesel and usally in the summer when no one was running garage heaters and such. Once I got the rabbit the drum started to rust on the inside .
See if this link works. I'm sure there is other info on the fuels from the FAA if it means anything.
http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAdvisoryCircular.nsf/0/a563729e3daac121862569f1005f80f1/$FILE/Chapter%204.pdf
Old 12-03-2006, 09:02 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Thanks for the info, gentlemen. I've always wondered. They have Diesel on dase for the govt vehicles, we use a little key to get it, but no way I'd run that stuff... it is not regulated or inspected, so the tanks are probably 1/3 full of garbage.
Just curious as to what it equaled out to...
Old 12-03-2006, 09:18 PM

Yes, you can run it, but is will not lubericat the VE and VP as they need to be. you will need to put something in it to provide some lube or it will eat your pump. the only diff between JP-5 JP-6 and JP-8 is their flash point. what temp they will burst into flames.

Quick Reply: Jet Fuel, JP5/JP8