Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

Running Waste Oil?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2005, 11:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by DustyRock
Gunracer:
How do you filter, especially the cutting oil before putting it in the tank ?
my buddie has a pump with a 1 or 2 micron system that we use to put the old cutting oil through. the motor oil i just drain it into a clean tub and dump it in.
Old 08-19-2005, 06:11 PM
LCH

So is it OK to run wast oil in the third gen trucks? Looks like most of you guys have the first or second gen. trucks. I'd really like to try this but wanted to ask this first....LCH
Old 08-19-2005, 08:19 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
oilguy on page 4 is in his 04.5, or at least it looks that way.
Old 08-20-2005, 09:36 AM
LCH

Originally posted by Scotty
oilguy on page 4 is in his 04.5, or at least it looks that way.
On page 2 he says he just traded his PS that he ran waste oil in for his 04.5 and I don't find where he says he is actually running it in ther yet just installing the tank to do so. I was hoping to hear from someone that has been doing this for at least a few months without any problems. Thanks for the reply though... LCH
Old 08-20-2005, 11:14 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Originally posted by LCH
On page 2 he says he just traded his PS that he ran waste oil in for his 04.5 and I don't find where he says he is actually running it in ther yet just installing the tank to do so. I was hoping to hear from someone that has been doing this for at least a few months without any problems. Thanks for the reply though... LCH
Like I said...at least it looked that way, I was thinking the same thing as you. It would be nice if someone would give some feedback.

you go first.
Old 08-20-2005, 11:41 AM

Right now I am working on a whole new project but I am up to about 20% mix right now with only about 1000 miles and no problems and no smoke. I have only been running light oils such as 10w30 because I had the best luck with that on my Ford.
I hope to have my fuel processor running by the end of next week and I won't have to worry about that any more. But that is a whole new thread...
OilGuy
Old 08-20-2005, 01:33 PM
LCH

Originally posted by Scotty
Like I said...at least it looked that way, I was thinking the same thing as you. It would be nice if someone would give some feedback.

you go first.
No really you first LOL makes me think of thoes little chipmunks no you first, no after you....LCH
Old 08-20-2005, 07:38 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by LCH
So is it OK to run wast oil in the third gen trucks? Looks like most of you guys have the first or second gen. trucks. I'd really like to try this but wanted to ask this first....LCH
Cummins offers the Centinel system on it's common rail engines so I would think burning waste motor oil on a 3rd gen would be ok. The Centinel pumps small amounts of highly filtered engine oil into your fuel tank while adding the same amount of new oil to the engine at the same time. They say with this system that oil changes are extended to 500,000 miles.
Read more about it here http://www.cummins.com/au/pages/en/p...s/centinel.cfm

Lets get things straight here, I'm talking used motor oil, not used deep fryer oil (WVO).
WVO contains all kinds of residues that can damage your engine and can't be filtered out such as salt, sugar, msg, etc. Although some people run WVO without processing you mainly see it used on older diesels. If you are going to use WVO on an engine you want to keep for a long time you are much better off converting the WVO to biodiesel.
Old 08-20-2005, 10:43 PM
LCH

Originally posted by infidel
Cummins offers the Centinel system on it's common rail engines so I would think burning waste motor oil on a 3rd gen would be ok. The Centinel pumps small amounts of highly filtered engine oil into your fuel tank while adding the same amount of new oil to the engine at the same time. They say with this system that oil changes are extended to 500,000 miles.
Read more about it here http://www.cummins.com/au/pages/en/p...s/centinel.cfm

Lets get things straight here, I'm talking used motor oil, not used deep fryer oil (WVO).
WVO contains all kinds of residues that can damage your engine and can't be filtered out such as salt, sugar, msg, etc. Although some people run WVO without processing you mainly see it used on older diesels. If you are going to use WVO on an engine you want to keep for a long time you are much better off converting the WVO to biodiesel.
Used motor oil is what I had in mind. I'm not sure why it fasinates me so much, I guess it's the tinkerer in me that wants to mess with these things. It's the same thing with guns, dirtbikes, most anything mechanical, I can't leave it alone and want to learn all I can about it. I keep reminding myself that this truck is different, waited most of my adult life for a truck like this and don't want to mess it up but if I could tinker safely I'm all for it LCH
Old 08-23-2005, 12:28 PM

Does anyone who runs it think that waste oil should not be ran in the winter?

thanks everyone - this is a great debate!!!
Old 08-23-2005, 04:13 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Originally posted by LCH
No really you first LOL makes me think of thoes little chipmunks no you first, no after you....LCH
I do recall those chipmunks.

You go first.

Old 08-24-2005, 09:00 AM

On the 05's, the dealer lists the exhaust part as a "resonator" rather then a cat.
As such, I assume it would be ok to remove it, and is this necessary to run waste oil? It does have the honeycomb in it like a cat, but will it clog up like one?
Old 09-16-2005, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Oilguy
Howdy! New to the forum...
Just traded my 01 F250 PSD for a 04.5 CTD 2500 4X4!
I love the truck but miss the room!

I ran used waste oil in my PSD for about 30K miles at a 45% mix. No Loss of power or mileage. I mixed diesel and motor oil in a 55 gal drum and used a 12v pump to circulate it through a TP Bypass filter for a couple of hours and then through a regular fuel filter into my 60 Gal auxiliary fuel tank. I just started mixing different %'s until a got to 50% and noticed some smoke during acceleration (more than normal) and then backed off a notch.. Bam! 1/2 priced Fuel!
I just installed the tank in the Dodge and I am going to rig it up so that the stock fuel gauge will work when I switch over to the aux tank... Sweet Setup from Northern Tool >> But cost a bunch!

I love the Forum... Very informative and not as many poeple complaining about ther truck!! To Tell you the truth... That is the main Reason I Choose the Ram!

OilGuy
Hi,can any diesel engine run wmo in with the diesel fuel. or isthat just for american made diesel's .
Thanks
Old 09-16-2005, 09:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Scotty
I do recall those chipmunks.

You go first.

Chip and Dale.
Old 09-16-2005, 09:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SHARPMACHINE
Does anyone who runs it think that waste oil should not be ran in the winter?

In the winter, depending on how rich you mix it, could cause a problem of thickening and might be hard to flow until it warmed up.

Quick Reply: Running Waste Oil?