Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

Running used motor oil

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 09:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Running used motor oil

Hey, my cousin and i and my dad have talked about running used motor oil. I know some of you do it. I was wondering what filter to run how small micron filter do i need? I'm thinking where going to pump it through a bigger filter and the down to a smaller micron one. will a 5-10 micron be small enough or smaller yet?? how do you guys do it. Thanks Zach
Old 04-08-2008, 05:56 PM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
If it is CLEAN used oil, from a KNOWN source, then I have just been running it through a coffee-filter, before pouring it in the tank.

I use a FleetGuard FS-1221 fuel-filter on the engine and one of those clear-plastic inline filters ahead of the lift-pump.

I change the inline filter quarterly and am on my second year for the FS-1221, running one-gallon used oil to twenty-gallons diesel.

I wouldn't hesitate to run it 50/50, if I had a source for it.

Now, if you are meaning the used oil from the filling-station, I would be VERY SKEPTICAL about it's cleanliness; I have seen people pour and pitch all kinds of stuff in those barrels.

One source of good CLEAN oil is to volunteer to change the oil in some road-tractors; you will get 11, or more, gallons of oil per truck.

Honestly, people cringe at the thoughts of dumping used oil in their fuel-tank; but, I have hauled fuel in tanker-trucks and bulk fuel is not as pristinely pure as many believe.

Many times, I have pumped a tanker-load of raw crude straight from the wells into a barge, then pump the tanker back full of diesel without the truck leaving it's tracks.

Think about it.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used to run it in my GMC truck. I would hand pump it through a 3 micron filter.
I ran it 50% mix because I was running all my waste oil, gear oil, atf, ect. I could pump between 100 and 200 gallons of waste oil before it got hard to pump. I would then change filters. It worked great, but when I spent $20000.00 on my Dodge that has nothing but injection pump trouble with good fuel I quit running it. A $5000.00 truck that never needs an injection pump is one thing, but a $20000.00 truck that has known problems.... I guess I'm a chicken. On a early dodge with mechanical injection I would run it in a second. I would also increase the mix in the summer to 75%. If it was only motor oil 100%.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:09 PM

OH. I forgot to tell ya, I ran the stock filter on the GMC and changed it every 10000 miles.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:32 PM

I want to try to run my WMO how do you set up the filter system to clean the oil. Like Bear Killer said he uses a coffee filter what do you set it up in Thanks
Old 04-09-2008, 08:48 PM

I had a 55 gallon drum pump and a 55 gallon drum that I would dump the waste oil into. I bought a filter housing for a remote spin on oil filter and screwed it on the pump spout. Then I screwed a hydraulic hose to the filter housing. When I was empty I would fill the truck half full then come home and finish the fill up. If you are only running waste motor oil I think you could run it 100% in the summer and 65 or 75% in the winter. Finding the filter is not easy. I have a shop up the street that works on equipment and dump trucks, they got me the adapter and filter. On line searches did not work well to find a 3 micron filter.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:32 PM

I ran used motor oil in my old 92 chevy 6.5td for years, ran up to 85% once. I'm pumping it from 55 gal drum through a screen filter. Now I have a permacool filter setup on the dodge that filters down to 2 micron. I've run 50/50 in it towing the boat without a problem and still get 17-18mpg. I've found dino trans fluid works best, also have run hydralyic fluid.

67HotRod
Old 04-14-2008, 07:32 PM

Thanks for the info seems like a 3 micron filter will work decent if we could find one. Thanks alot.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:37 PM

dying for more tranny fluid in diesels feedback... have you ran tranny fluid in a 12v cummins yet?

Originally Posted by 67HotRod
I ran used motor oil in my old 92 chevy 6.5td for years, ran up to 85% once. I'm pumping it from 55 gal drum through a screen filter. Now I have a permacool filter setup on the dodge that filters down to 2 micron. I've run 50/50 in it towing the boat without a problem and still get 17-18mpg. I've found dino trans fluid works best, also have run hydralyic fluid.

67HotRod
Old 04-17-2008, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by 2500
dying for more tranny fluid in diesels feedback... have you ran tranny fluid in a 12v cummins yet?
Future father-n-law (and a couple of other buddies) have been running it for several years. He usualy runs it streight but has to mix a bit in the winter around here to keep from jelling.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:32 PM

I can't seem to get any straight info on ATF as fuel. It doesn’t make much since to run it as a fuel/additive cause of all of the different friction modifiers in it.

One would think that the pump would fail quickly but I keep hearing good news from the other end.

I’m confused.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:20 PM

yep there's all sorts of confusing data on running ATF... friction modifiers would reduce friction, thereby increasing lubricity.

cetane would have to go up, due to more concentrated fuel.
ATF is 10 sae weight oil...

does anyone know what sae weight diesel fuel is?

Originally Posted by GasganoFJ60
I can't seem to get any straight info on ATF as fuel. It doesn’t make much since to run it as a fuel/additive cause of all of the different friction modifiers in it.

One would think that the pump would fail quickly but I keep hearing good news from the other end.

I’m confused.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:36 PM

I have a tranny shop but also do general repairs. when I was running it in my gmc it could have as much as 80% atf or as low as 10%. I never noticed a difference.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:39 PM

I run WMO - usually only in small batches as I don't have a supply of it. 25% is about as much as I have run.

I filter it in 5 gallon buckets using big 1 micron sock type filter bags. Pour it inthe bag and walk away - come back to filtered oil.

Then I pour it in the main tank and drive around
Old 05-05-2008, 07:43 AM

So we can run ATF too and not have problems?? We can get more ATF than Used motor oil most of the time.. also theres a thread on hydrolic oil what about that or lets just say \what oils can you NOT run.??

Quick Reply: Running used motor oil