Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

red dyed fuel

Old 12-02-2006, 11:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RustyJC
The question is funding of our public road system - the fuel tax is a key component of that. Why should I (and the others who run taxed fuel) have to pay their share of the burden? The concept is pretty simple - if one operates a vehicle off-road only, then run tax-free fuel; conversely, if one operates a vehicle on the public roads, then road taxes should be applicable.

Rusty
I wonder how much fuel taxes the hybrid/electric cars paying?
Old 12-02-2006, 11:58 AM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by RustyJC
The question is funding of our public road system - the fuel tax is a key component of that. Why should I (and the others who run taxed fuel) have to pay their share of the burden? The concept is pretty simple - if one operates a vehicle off-road only, then run tax-free fuel; conversely, if one operates a vehicle on the public roads, then road taxes should be applicable.

Rusty
Our diesel trucks are far more fuel efficient than most gas powered half-tons, yet are heavier, so one could argue that they do more damage to the road surface. Is it right that we should pay less road tax than a smaller vehicle that consumes more fuel?
(Not trying to be argumentative, just stirring things up for fun.)
Old 12-02-2006, 02:16 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaxom
I wonder how much fuel taxes the hybrid/electric cars paying?
They pay less because they use less fuel. There was talk of a new law in California to start charging road tax by the mile so they could reclaim tax revenue lost from hybrids. It involved scanners that would read the odo on new vehicles.
Old 12-02-2006, 06:12 PM
Ggg

Originally Posted by RickG
But homemade bio isn't dyed either . Could they detect it when dipping ?
I was running B80 when I was dipped and it looked exactly the same to me as regular #2. I even have my bio equipment and storage on the premises. The officer didn't question my fuel sample at all, I asked about the Bio myself to find out if it mattered. The way they did my sample was to insert a clear plastic tube into my tank, cover the end with his thumb and pull the tube back up and look at the fuel inside the tube.
Another business that rents a barn on the same farm as where I was tested got caught running red diesel in several of their trucks that day. There was still no disassembly of any vehicle to check for prior red fuel use. But they were ordered to siphon out the red fuel, and fined.
I have heard many stories about the horrors of fuel sampling as well as a lot of misinformation, but they have all been at best 3rd or 4th hand info. IMO unless someone has first or second hand info I would take it with a lot of salt.
I have never known anybody to actually have their truck disassembled to check for dyed fuel. I would think getting fined for evidence of prior use of off road diesel yet having road taxed fuel in the tank would be similar to being fined for speeding some time in the past while currently driving the posted speed limit.
Old 12-02-2006, 06:43 PM

my dad gets a prety good tax break on his elect car which weights the same as my wifes camry. he gets the break cause it's 'better for the environment'. can the biodiesel folks use the same argument?
Old 12-03-2006, 12:54 AM
Ggg

Originally Posted by garretch
my dad gets a prety good tax break on his elect car which weights the same as my wifes camry. he gets the break cause it's 'better for the environment'. can the biodiesel folks use the same argument?
Yes we can, bio is better than peterolium based diesel, polution wise that is.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:14 PM

let's get realistic on this topic!! how many hundred thousand semi's run the highway's every day?? the dot's have better things to do than pull over "joe blow" in his 92 dodge pick-up truck!! i've been all over the eastern united states running "red-pop" in my f-250 with a 105 gallon auxillary tank with an electric pump with a hose and nozzle sticking out,if that's not an invitation to get dipped i don't know what is?? i've traveled 50,000 or more miles "runnin red" and have never had a second look my way. so what's all the fuss? later
Old 12-04-2006, 08:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Last month I had my tanks stuck twice on US280 in Georgia. They were Georgia's finest and flagged trucks down to stick the tank. They used a clear tube, put it in the tank and covered the end, pulled it out.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd rather be safe than sorry!
Old 12-04-2006, 10:59 PM
Ggg

corn binder nothing personal here, but here is the reality of your post on this subject.
On a open forum you have done the following;
1.You admitted to and bragged about committing federal and state felony tax evasion.
2.You have shown that you know it is illegal, therefore showing willful and wanton intent to commit these crimes.
3. You told how much red fuel you carry, how you carry and distribute it, what vehicle you do this with, gave the area for which you do this, and for how many miles allowing for retroactive fines for mileage you admitted to running red fuel.
I don't mean this post as a threat or personal attack at all, its just the reality of what you posted. Those who really break laws like tax evasion don't go on the internet and brag about it. They keep their mouth shut about what they do and don't provide the prosecution a slam dunk case against themselves. As far as the DOT having better things to do etc. you are right because it's not the DOT looking for red diesel, it's the federal and state IRS. The IRS officers that dipped my trucks that day this summer, that was their job looking for illegal fuel in some "joe blow's" truck i.e. mine.
I don't wish for you or anybody to get caught doing whatever they wish, I am darn glad I played it safe, it saved me a lot of money.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:16 AM

I heard the Black Helicopters fly overhead this evening on the way to CornBinder's place....
Old 12-05-2006, 01:39 AM

They don't die the off/on road fuel up here...
Old 12-05-2006, 01:46 AM
DTR's "Cooler than ice cubes 14 miles North of North Pole" member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
AKTallPaul- I've seen Red-dyed fuel all over up here for years.
Old 12-05-2006, 02:02 AM

I've never seen it....I guess its not sold in the rural areas...my last job we used to buy ten thousand gallons a year with no die and my heat fuel I buy isn't. In town we have a heat fuel pump right next to taxed fuel no difference except cost.
Old 12-05-2006, 02:18 AM

About the Bio, I believe you are allowed to make and use 400 gallons per quarter, tax free.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: red dyed fuel