Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

red dyed fuel

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 09:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here in Kansas, a few years back, a contractor was ripping out an existing highway and rebuilding it. He was using off road in his pu trucks that were off road, but he was still working on the highway that was being ripped up. HP dipped them and he got a fine. I think it was $5000. The contractor was "extremely upset".

The HP keep parked in a turn off apron which was part of the contract to be replaced to watch (and harass) the ole boy. The contractor rumbled a D9 about a half a mile out of his work path to rip the apron up one morning when two HP's were setting there "visiting"!

The GC told them to move or he was moving them. There was some discussion, but they moved! In a few minutes there was no place for them to return to park!!

If you're really concerned about running off road fuel and filter stains, etc. Simply go purchase some off road and put it into your truck tank (not an auxillary tank to pump into latter), then go in and tell the attendant you need to pay the tax for the off road since you didn't get the correct pump. You can get a receipt. Then keep the receipt in your truck as evidence of proof of purchase of off road and tax is paid! There is no way anybody can tell you how much time has passed since the red went thru the filter, unless it's in there when they look!
Old 11-29-2006, 10:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, but isn't there a date on the receipt?

Or do you have to go through this evolution every month or so to keep the "proof" relatively fresh?
Old 11-29-2006, 10:59 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Great,
Why not tell our members how to break the law by avoiding paying Road Taxes.

The way I understand the rules:
If your non-Govt vehicle has state issued tags and registration for On Highway usage, it's against the law to use Off-Road fuel.....period
Old 11-29-2006, 11:32 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Shovelhead
Great,
Why not tell our members how to break the law by avoiding paying Road Taxes.

The way I understand the rules:
If your non-Govt vehicle has state issued tags and registration for On Highway usage, it's against the law to use Off-Road fuel.....period
That is how I read the regs as well.
Old 11-29-2006, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by XLR8R
Wow - I wouldn't know what to do with THAT much beer!
we would be trashed with that much beer but i would like it haha
Old 11-29-2006, 06:33 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Diesel Avenger
Another DOT trick is to cut the fuel filter in half...after they take it off. If it has a red or pink stain, your busted. I'd change the fuel filter after it is gone to be safe.
I find this hard to believe.
What happens if they find no red in the the filter?
Does DOT carry around replacement filters and change them for you?
Seems to me if they start taking your truck apart that they are setting themselves up for lawsuits that will cost much more than any money gained from fines or taxes.
Old 11-29-2006, 06:46 PM
Muted User

If I remember correctly, my dad's friend when I was growing up had a 5000 gallon tank that was in the air (gravity feed ). Well, when my dad would go to the guys house (it was off of a highway, in a rural area, rare to this region now due to devolopment ) he would always fill up right before we left. I am pretty sure it was offroad diesel at the time, though I could onlny guess as to it was, considering it was for powering a generator.

To this day, my dad's friend still runs his trucks on it (on and off road), though I have never heard of him, or my dad, or anyone else's diesel rig over the years getting dipped. Maybe it doesnt happen around here. Just my words to further this.....
Old 11-29-2006, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by XLR8R
How much less is that than the on-road diesel?
Here's fuel taxes by state in addition to the $0.244 Federal tax at the bottom: http://www.taxadmin.org/FTA/rate/motor_fl.html
Old 11-29-2006, 08:17 PM

wow, all this commotion I caused, getting away with something is not what Im concerned about, more concerned about running this truck to 500,000 miles, and would hate for a mishap with fuel to compromise that, as I understood red fuels to be fuel oil, more often than low sulphur diesel, my concern was simply the excessive amount of sulphur in the truck, injector pumps, emissions etc
Old 11-29-2006, 09:26 PM

paradoxg,
My comments a few post back were directed at your original question of having red fuel in your tank. Run it, don't waste it. If you're concerned about the color get a receipt for some more.

It's interesting some folks get upset about the possibility of someone not paying some road tax---'cause they're violating a LAW. I presume they never violate any laws, like speeding?
Old 11-29-2006, 09:56 PM

OK, just so you are not worried about your new pickup; at work we have a 10,000 gal diesel tank. they fill it with green "real" #2, then add little bottles of dye to it. Same fuel w/cool-aid DON'T waste the tank you have; I will drive to NY or wherever you are for that 33 gals yu have left!!!

The guy I bought my 98 from only ran red, and my filter did not turn pink.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by D2 Cat
paradoxg,
It's interesting some folks get upset about the possibility of someone not paying some road tax---'cause they're violating a LAW. I presume they never violate any laws, like speeding?
I'm curious,
Does someone exceeding the posted speed limit cause other drivers to have to pay more taxes?
Would you also support citizens that "skip" paying taxes on April 15 because it's cheaper not to?

Drivers running "red" cause the rest of us to pay more to maintain the roads they drive on.

Personal Responsibility.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:57 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Shovelhead
Personal Responsibility.
That is soooooo...19th century.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:59 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Geico266
I've noticed as well...

I'm not gonna defend speeding as morally right, but I believe Ed said it well. You wanna drive on the roads, you should pay your share to maintain them.
Old 11-30-2006, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by Geico266
Yeah, I know....I'm "Geezin" again.

Sometimes I forget that I live in The United States of AMErica

Quick Reply: red dyed fuel