Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

Popcorn Juice ( a little long)

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 01:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Popcorn Juice ( a little long)

Not sure if you guys remember, but Scotty had mentioned in a thread awhile ago about trying a Canola based diesel fuel additive and getting some good returns on fuel mileage increases.

I've been running the same Milligan Bio-Tech additive for about a month or so now and all I can say is WOW!!!

For a little background, my truck has run Stanadyne since the day it left the lot. It has never gone without additive in it's fuel tank. I've never had a problem with the way the truck ran or it's mileage. I've had the usual lift and injection pump replacements, but we know that they are just as much "design" problems as they are fuel or mechanical problems.

My local NAPA store had a jug of Milligan sitting on the shelf and I thought I'd give it a whirl and see what happens. First couple of tanks, nothing really happened other than the color of the smoke coming out of the pipe was way more black than usual. About the fourth tank, there was a noticeable difference in the way the truck ran.

It idles smoother than usual. The intermitent "stumble" at idle that these trucks usually have is gone. The truck pulls much harder and smoother on acceleration. And best of all, mileage has gone up, way up!!

I haven't sat down and figured out my miles per gallon per tank yet. I have all the numbers but I'm waiting to get a couple dozen or so tanks thru it so I can get a good across the board look at the increases. I will say that I am averaging about a 150 km (93 miles) gain in mileage on my regular fills, with my fills being about 110 litres (about 23 gallons) per fill.

I realize the above to figures work out to almost a 4 mpg increase and yes they seem a little unrealistic. That's the reason I'm waiting to get a bunch of fills behind me so I can get a more realistic number with regards to a more real world actual/average increase. But with the price of fuel nowadays, I'll take everything I can get!!!!

I'm not in any way affiliated with Milligan, I'm just letting you guys know my results with trying to save a few bucks in diesel costs. I'm hoping Scotty chimes in here and adds his input on this stuff. He has been running it longer than I have.

I'm not sure if it is available down in the US, but here is the link......
http://www.milliganbiotech.com/index.html

Hope it helps someone out there!!

Jeff
Old 08-11-2005, 07:28 AM

interesting...

Is it only a lubricity enhancer?? Wonder how it will work in the cold??
Old 08-11-2005, 09:54 AM

jeff how big is your tank? even if I take mine to the 1/8 mark I only need 90 L you must run yours really low. What the stuff worth maybe I give it a whirl also. I hate the stumble issue drives me nuts.

Also if it ony a lub enhancer woudl it hurt to run it with a cleaner/cetane enhancer?

J
Old 08-11-2005, 12:13 PM
Banned

I don't see anything mentioned about co$t.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:09 PM

This is right from the website......

Milligan Bio-Tech Diesel Fuel Conditioner is a proprietary blend of canola based products which combines the excellent cleaning properties of biodiesel with the outstanding lubricity properties of biodiesel and canola derivatives. The result is an environmentally responsible fuel additive with superior lubricity that offers improved engine performance, quieter running, increased fuel economy and extended engine life.

As for cost, a gallon jug from my local NAPA was $76 bucks and change. We are talking Canadian here, so 1 litre will treat 1000 litres of fuel so it does go a long way. I go a little over the recommended dosage just because I can. I figure it can't hurt.

While sitting at the train crossing early this morning I noticed for the first time that idleing with the exhaust brake was different. My truck never liked the DD2's when it came to sitting at a light or something and pulling the exhaust brake on. It would always pop and stutter and take about 10 seconds or so to "clean out" and idle properly. Now it comes on like the DD2's are not even there. Brake engages and it just idles away against the brake

Jason.........

As far as I know I have the small tank same as you. When I get the low fuel light, I can fill anywhere from 95 to 115 litres depending on how far I drove on the light. I've never run out of fuel and have done this since day one. My average fill is probably around 100 litres. I have dumped 125 into once when I pushed the limit between stations.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:19 PM

The way I see this is it is twice as expensive a standyne, and I grumble buying that stuff, great more money into the moey pit
Old 08-11-2005, 05:57 PM

Hey guys,
I e-mailed them this morning and this is what they sent back.
Randy So far we do not have a distributer in the U.S. We can however ship direct. The cost is - 250ml= $5.50 comes in a case of 24. 1 Liter = $ 16.00. Comes in a case of 12. 5 Liter jug = $75.00 comes in a case of 4 (Canadian $) Freight on a case of 1 L is approx $60.00 and for a case of 5 L approx. $80.00 We accept Master Card, Visa and AMEX

Milligan Bio-Tech Diesel Fuel inclusion Gallons

3.785 Liters = 1 U.S. Gal

250 ml treats 66 U.S. Gallons
1 Liter treat 264 U.S. Gallons
5 Liter treats 1320 U.S. Gallons

Thank you for the inquirey if you have any other questions or would like to place an order either email us or phone on our toll free line 1-866-388-6284
I would be interested in knowing how you heard about our company and it's products.

Rob R McGregor

Topper
Old 08-11-2005, 06:06 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmmm... NAPA you say?? I wonder if the chain carries it..

I would be willing to try it. I have been running Lubtec for a few years now with no complaints.

Interesting.... Thanks Homestead.. I will look out for it....

Man, between the SAII, DSS and 03TBK, another product from great SK.. I'm gonna have to paint my truck green and white!!!
Old 08-12-2005, 12:20 AM

Hey Jason

Not sure if all the NAPA's carry it as a stocking item. The guys that own the NAPA here in Cochrane also own a couple of stores in Soscratchmewrong. If for whatever reason you can't find it in your parts, I can bring some with me on the 27th.

Jeff
Old 08-12-2005, 02:20 PM

Originally posted by Lil Dog

Man, between the SAII, DSS and 03TBK, another product from great SK.. I'm gonna have to paint my truck green and white!!!
YIKES I hope it runs better than they play

There may be a slim chance I could make the 27th keep me in the loop when your leaving homestead

J
Old 08-12-2005, 03:06 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I have been running this and logging the mileage for 3 months. I had to stop for awhile because of an unrelated injector pump and injector issue. The dealer asked that I use no additives until we get this resolved with DC.

Towing heavy...22,000 pounds total weight...I netted an easy 1.8 MPG.
Quieter running, smoother running right off the first tank.

Highway empty at 110-120 KMH I can get just under 20 mpg with a 3500 4x4 quad cab.

Lil dog you do not want to paint yer truck...its gonna get beat up if you do that.

Now Greene is faking an injury to cover up his disgust of being pulled for the 2nd half. Glad Bottom line Barret did that to show him how the rest of the team feels when he is a slug on the field. The AXE should come down and give them a wake up call.

Scotty
Old 08-12-2005, 03:53 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All...

Just went down to the local NAPA today, they carried it and it ran for $16 for 1L of additive.

Seems cheap to me..

On the Football front, I was not a proud Stamps fan last year.. Thanks Dunigan, how he gets a job on TSN now is beyond me. He couldn't read the field from the sidelines, how is he at the monitor??

Anyhoo, I am going to keep a strict log (already do ) of my mileage changes on the Old 12V. Then we have some different models of engines to compare notes on. My Lubtec is just about out anyway...LOL

One Question I have is for cold weather.. Can we run this in the winter??
Old 08-12-2005, 04:23 PM

16 bucks a liter.... I retract my previous comment about price compared to Standyne they are pretty much the same price as I pay 32 bucks for 1.89 l for standyne.

Jason
Old 08-12-2005, 05:56 PM

I didn't think the price was to out of line. If I can get some mileage out of it, it will pay for itself.

Talked to a gentleman today that delivers travel trailers for a living. He runs an old 12 valve with 400,000 + on the odometer. He has been running this stuff for about 6 months now and he has gained 2 mpg on his highway mileage.

I'm curious also about running this in the winter. I know that I have to keep the Stanadyne bottle in the cab to warm up before I fuel otherwise it tends to get a little hard to pour. I don't think the Bio will be any different.

I'll let you know Jason what time I'm leaving when we get a little closer. I'll meet up with you in Olds and convoy up there. Maybe we will pick up Eat Beef (Andy) and PKennedy along the way as well as whoever else.

Jeff