Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

penalty for running red diesel on CA highway

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 09:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The red dye has a chemical in it that they can analize to see if it is off road fuel. So covering up the color will not fix it. The fines are very steep.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if i were you, i would try to burn it just make sure your lisense plate light is working and try not to get pulled over. dont go on any long trips or hang out where theres a bunch of diesel driving buddies hang out. i know it may be morrally wrong, but its cheaper(unless you get caught) to just burn it and refill with clear. changing the fuel filter and draining the tank cost plenty of time and money. oh by the way, a dodge fill neck has a ping pong ball inside that prevents any hose from being inserted in the fill neck. so i dont know how they would "dip" you. maybe from the water drain on the bottom of the fuel filter. if you want to get around that risk. get a B30 baldwin oil filter for like 3 bucks and use that as a fuel filter for just one tank. no drain on the bottom. just make sure to take the small o-ring off the filter housing.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:28 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
They use a small tube to suck a sample that has no problem getting by the rollover (ping-pong) ball.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by infidel
They use a small tube to suck a sample that has no problem getting by the rollover (ping-pong) ball.
So what if you had a dually and a aux tank on the passanger side with no visable filler nozzle that fed the engine... that or could you not filter the fuel enough to get the dye out?
Old 10-15-2007, 05:01 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Isn't that kinda like figuring out how to rob a bank and not get the exploding dye pack all over you?
Old 10-15-2007, 06:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Shovelhead
Isn't that kinda like figuring out how to rob a bank and not get the exploding dye pack all over you?
I really would not want to get caught at it. Probably go to prison. That woud be planned evasion of federal road taxes.