Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

off road fuel

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 06:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
off road fuel

have heard many rumors mostly at work about running high sulfur fuel some say trucks run smoother other say its filthy fuel and would never run a drop i have a new vp and dont want to damage it, i can get all the free off road i want besides taking the chance of getting caught running tax exempt fuel , has anyone heard of problems running it in a truck with the vp
Old 08-01-2005, 07:05 PM
Banned

this is one of those touchy subjects, DTR can in no way look as if it condones these federal offenses... if running any fuel with questionable lubricity always run an additive.
Old 08-01-2005, 07:20 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
You will have no engine trouble whatsoever running it in a '01
Old 08-01-2005, 07:22 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
The only difference between off road fuel and on road fuel is the color and the price. Do you really think they make a "dirty & cheap" fuel to run in $200,000 combines, tractors, and earth movers, and big rigs??
Old 08-01-2005, 08:07 PM

the only diff is color and that is all
Old 08-01-2005, 08:57 PM

Originally posted by Geico266
The only difference between off road fuel and on road fuel is the color and the price. Do you really think they make a "dirty & cheap" fuel to run in $200,000 combines, tractors, and earth movers, and big rigs??

A guy on a racing BBS I am on try to tell me that is the case. He said that Cheby will void your warranty if you run off-road fuel.

I just laughed at him.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:05 PM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
It is much cheaper for the refinery to make one fuel (low sulfur) than 2 different fuels (high and low sulphur). It is the same fuel until it gets to the tanker truck. When it goes in the tanker that is when the red dye is put in. There is a fellow here by the name Tanker Yanker that can tell us more about that process.

All diesel produced these days is low sulphur and in 2007 it all has to be Ultra-low sulphur for emission requirements.
Old 08-01-2005, 10:14 PM

the fuel we get on our farm really is high sulfer it is A LOT chaeper last time we got fuel it was only like 1.80 a gallon deleivered. But the farm i work on they get dyed #2 diesel and it is cheaper then the pump but more then what we pay. there really is a difference in the fuel but it dosnt change the way my truck runs but mine is and older one
Old 08-01-2005, 10:48 PM

Somebody told me once that the vp's have an sight glass in them and red diesil fogs the glass and ruins the pump. Yet anouther urban legend.
Old 08-02-2005, 07:15 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by ihpower
the fuel we get on our farm really is high sulfer it is A LOT chaeper last time we got fuel it was only like 1.80 a gallon deleivered. But the farm i work on they get dyed #2 diesel and it is cheaper then the pump but more then what we pay. there really is a difference in the fuel but it dosnt change the way my truck runs but mine is and older one
The only reason it is cheaper is because there is no road tax on the fuel. It is dyed so if you are caught with it in your fuel tank of your truck you pay a HEAVY fine. The fuel is the same.
Old 08-02-2005, 08:10 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It will not hurt your truck but if you get caught, it will hurt your wallet and possibly your life style. If you're worried about lubricity, add a little fuel conditioner like Power Service or similar. Don't take a chance on the dyed fuel to save a few bucks.
Old 08-02-2005, 08:47 AM

Originally posted by ihpower
Might smoke a lil more.. and when u change your filter if you take it apart youll see it partially red

The only reason it is cheaper is because there is no road tax on the fuel. It is dyed so if you are caught with it in your fuel tank of your truck you pay a HEAVY fine. The fuel is the same.

That is very true, In texas you are fined, possibly jailed and guess what.. INSTANT AUDIT as well if you are caught

I will not run red diesel...

Tx
Old 08-02-2005, 09:15 AM

Originally posted by TxDiesel007
Might smoke a lil more.. and when u change your filter if you take it apart youll see it partially red

That is very true, In texas you are fined, possibly jailed and guess what.. INSTANT AUDIT as well if you are caught

Tx
True...and here in VA the VDOT po po set up check points that EVERY diesel vehicle must pass thru, they will test your tank on the spot, if its red, your dead.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:38 PM
Banned

Originally posted by TxDiesel007

Tx
The chances of getting caught are not especially high. But with the fuel prices up, the chances age going up with them.

And the consequences are tough.

I am with TX. Not worth the risk, even though it won't hurt your truck one bit.

Plus I never have to worrk about getting caught with illegal fuel. One less thing on my mind.
Old 08-12-2005, 05:27 PM

Originally posted by jrs_dodge_diesel
It is much cheaper for the refinery to make one fuel (low sulfur) than 2 different fuels (high and low sulphur).
I'm not sure if it's changed but I believe most refinerys still make at least 2 grades of diesel #1 and #2, plus kerosene. Most stations around here only carry #1. I burn undied in my tractors at home because I just fill my portable tank at the station with biodiesel when I fill my truck.

If anyone want's to rip off your fellow citizens you can do it with gas too. Buy an old gas tractor and get a tank at home. Then you can reclaim the tax paid at the end of the year. Nothing personal but I hope anyone using red diesel gets caught and pays a big old fine. I have to pay my share of road taxes and I think everyone else should pay their fair share to. It's like insurance fraud, lot's of people do it and think " who am I hurting, just a big old insurance company" but guess what everyone else ends up paying for it when their insurance goes up. I don't think it's any different than welfare fraud.
Just my .03.

Quick Reply: off road fuel