Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/fuels-biodiesel-diesel-prices-110/)
-   -   Need ideas for an inexpensive in-line WMO filter (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/fuels-biodiesel-diesel-prices-110/need-ideas-inexpensive-line-wmo-filter-209662/)

ouchman 06-29-2008 09:19 PM

Need ideas for an inexpensive in-line WMO filter

I want to make a cheap filter that I can mount inline on my barrel pump. I used to have a (Perma-Cool) remote dual-filter setup and I used to pump WMO from my barrel, through the dual filters and into the can that I would then dump into my tank. I have since lost that setup.

I am on a tight budget with this one. I have seen remote oil filter mounts and I could easily run one of these inline. What I was wondering is if I could use a house-water-filter cartridge somehow. I already have one of these and Walmart sells 2 types of 5 micron filters for them. Or maybe a piece of pvc with an inlet and outlet stuffed with some sort of filtration media?

I am not looking for something drastic. I have been dumping WMO straight out of my other cars into my tank for a few years and no trouble. Just something to get the chunks of poo out. One of my friends may have dumped a few ounces of water contaminated oil into my drum.... [verymad]

Any ideas?

hamilton71801 06-29-2008 10:00 PM

5 gallon bucket and a couple of paint strainers. Cheap enough?

ouchman 06-29-2008 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by hamilton71801 (Post 2132144)
5 gallon bucket and a couple of paint strainers. Cheap enough?

I use paint strainers when I am transferring from the 5gal can to the truck. I want something that might be able to remove smaller particles and maybe even a little water contamination.

I am thinking of just trying my water filter housing and a string-type filter.

dwo3rd 06-29-2008 11:36 PM

Your water filter should work great, you can get filters 10, 5 , or down to 1 miron. Being that you aren't using that much a filter should last for awhile.

high bid 06-30-2008 07:50 AM

Double up two coffee filters. Throw a cap w/a hole on the end of 3-4" pvc w/the filters on there. Dump it in and let it gravity feed/filter to your bucket. You could then let the bucket sit for a day to let the remaining particles and/or water settle to the bottom.

CMooreBLKSMK 07-01-2008 04:29 PM

I tried the coffee filter once and it drained really slow, but maybe I will try it again using a little different method, like mentioned.

billg 07-01-2008 07:36 PM

Here is something I used to filter WVO. Take an old pair of jeans cut the legs out. Stitch up the bottom of the leg. It does a good job of removing chunks and filters the oil surprisingly well. This will allow the more expensive filters to last longer. You can get used jeans cheap at yard sells. I got 3 pair for $3.00 at a thrift store. That's 6 filters.

Gunz4all 07-01-2008 09:27 PM

Frantz Filters and PooPoo Paper

Inexpensive is a relative term. Like Fram used to say in it`s commercials," You can pay me now, or you can pay me later". A Frantz filter runs a couple of hundred up front, but the toilet paper rolls you use as a filter medium is cheap and will filter WMO to a couple of microns. Check eBay!!!! Toilet paper is ALOT cheaper than water filter cartiridges and is MULTI PURPOSE. For best results, use some sort of a heater coil or element to heat the WMO to 140-150 degrees to allow the oil to course through the filter to your container. Now, keep in mind that you don`t want to heat the oil DIRECTLY. Use a small hot water heater as a heat source. You can find these on Craigslist in the FREE section.

ouchman 07-01-2008 09:50 PM

Yeah - I have been running a Frantz filter on my D250 for a number of years. It's great, but on a 3 gallon oil system I'd really like to have two in a row, as they recommend. That's the only way it will keep it crystal clean.

As far as the WMO filtering, I bought an inline filter that has 1" inlet and outlet (which is the same size as the spout of my hand-pump). I am hoping to plumb it in right before the spout. Since I have a bit of contaminated oil in my barrel I am going to run it all through the filter a few times.

tesla440 07-02-2008 05:41 AM

I use a house water filter with a Racor water filter & two water pumps (on before the house water filter & one after going to the water filter. But I also cut my WMO with #2 to make it easier on everything.

Desert Dually 07-02-2008 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by ouchman (Post 2134233)
Yeah - I have been running a Frantz filter on my D250 for a number of years. It's great, but on a 3 gallon oil system I'd really like to have two in a row, as they recommend. That's the only way it will keep it crystal clean.

I've thought about that myself, running 2 bypass filters in a row, only i was thinking of a combo of 2 different types of filtration, say like a amsoil BK series, then running to a frantz. This would work as either a WMO filtration system for your garage workbench, or permanently installed on the truck. I wonder how well it would keep the soot in check. I hate the fact that these engines dirty up their oil so fast.

Haulin_in_Dixie 07-02-2008 02:55 PM

So far I have had no problems pumping the oil straight into the tank. I have a good sperator on the Freightliner and just the stock system on the '97. The amount that I use would not be practical to try to filter it heavy. I use a gas boy transfer pump and pump it directly from a 55 gallon plastic drum to the tank of the vehicle. Currently i am adding 10 gallon of diese and two or three gallons of WMO to the '97 and two hundred gallons of diesel with about 8 gallons of WMO to the red top Cummins. Both run quieter and smoother with better mileage with the WMO. With 60,000 gross and a full screw, I am getting 8 1/2 to 9 mpg from the condo freightliner. Soon hope to pull one axle for a single axle configeration and am pushing for 10 mpg from the freightliner. It is also 13 foot high so I am real satisfied with the mileage. I never run over 57 or so on the highway. Also never idle. On stright diesel I get a little over 8 sometimes 8 1/2.