Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

Filtering Engine Oil --to burn in tank.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 09:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Filtering Engine Oil --to burn in tank.

Hello all,

I've read up on this in the past and as I recall a few of you here were doing this:

I'd like to burn my used motor oil in my tank at appx 1 qt per 26 gallons of diesel. I would however like to make sure I am getting this oil filtered appropriately to prevent damage to fuel system components, etc. Can anyone direct me to a source for an appropriately sized filter? As I recall I need to use a 1000 micron ?

Thanks for any insight.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:56 AM

In my area , we have a place called Northern , sells lots of hyd. stuff , I was going to build a 2 tank pump & pluming system , a 1000 is way to big , I would think closer to 2-5 micron , not sure what sizes the hyd. filters come in , but then I worry about mixing the chemicals from fuel with oil & causing issues , not being a chemist , not sure what reactions are going to happen ???
But I am posting to see more info .
Old 04-19-2007, 05:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used to recycle my used engine oil in my home oil furnace. After having problems with the plenum plugging up I gave up on that idea.

Burning the used oil in the truck is something I will be doing. The filtering of the oil is important to keep the junk from plugging the engine fuel filter. Since the engine fuel filter is rated at 10 microns, I plan on filtering the used oil at that level. By using a surplus low volume pump and a hydraulic filter, it should be easy to suck the used oil out of the pan and force it through the filter.

Here is a link to a cheap filter I will be using.

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.as...name=hydraulic

With a little plumbing to the pump it should be easy to make. I plan to add no more than 1 quart to a full tank.
Old 04-20-2007, 01:17 AM

Man, that is something I would not do with my truck. I do run B100 BD but no way I would run SVO in it.
Old 04-20-2007, 04:26 PM

They are talking about used motor oil, not SVO (straight vegetable oil). At the levels they are talking, if filterred very well, it probably wouldn't be an issue. I think it is illegal if proper documentation and taxes aren't recorded when using as a motor fuel on the highway, though. Is it really any different than adding Power Service or two-stroke oil? At their level of addition, probably not.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The manufacturers are talking about allowing more than the current 5% Bio, but they are saying 100% bio causes severe damage in a relatively short time. It is definitely not recommended.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:44 PM

My mistake, I was thinking SVO.

WestTN, did THEY say how BD ruins motors in short order? I must be waaaay overdue, because my truck has seen less than 50 gallons of diesel in the last three years. You did notice that Dodge says OK to B20 didn't you.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:51 PM

I think as long as it's filtered and dry you should be okay in small amounts. I seem to recall cummins approving up to 5% WMO.
Old 04-21-2007, 01:22 AM

This months Diesel Power mag has several articles on the the Bio. B5 - no problem, B20 - maybe, B100 - You're beating the odds.
Old 04-29-2007, 07:15 PM

Me personnaly i run 1 to 2 qts of brand new tranny fluid in my fuel. Depending on where i get my fuel at. I have noticed a in crease of mpg when i do use it. But also you have to look at the way fuel is now, it is a dry fuel, which causes your seals and injectors to go out long before their time. I worked on a drill rig for a number of years and we have found that it helped our diesel that we ran on it so i took the same idea and it has improved mpg on my truck.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:40 AM

filtered to 2 microns thru a water seperator then blend 70% wmo t0 30% dino add a little power service & go. every 3 mo's i pull the glowplugs to brush off the coke been using wmo for 15,000 miles saved enough to pay for most of a rebuild already.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:01 AM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A quart?

Shoot, I used to run 1 to 2 gallons without thinking twice. Never gave me a reason not to.

I would NOT run automatic transmission fluid, not me.
The following users liked this post:
M1Lover (04-11-2023)
Old 05-16-2007, 12:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It scares me to put the black WMO that came out of my truck in the fuel tank. I understand it is probably Ok, and the oil is filtered in the engine, but still kind of hesitant. Have three gallons sitting in the garage though, plus some Mobil 1 WMO from my car. Anyone burned Mobil 1 waste oil in a diesel?
-P
Old 05-16-2007, 01:38 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by mo.redneck
Me personnaly i run 1 to 2 qts of brand new tranny fluid in my fuel. Depending on where i get my fuel at. I have noticed a in crease of mpg when i do use it. But also you have to look at the way fuel is now, it is a dry fuel, which causes your seals and injectors to go out long before their time. I worked on a drill rig for a number of years and we have found that it helped our diesel that we ran on it so i took the same idea and it has improved mpg on my truck.
Hope you never get dipped.................
Old 05-16-2007, 01:41 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by PaulDaisy
It scares me to put the black WMO that came out of my truck in the fuel tank. I understand it is probably Ok, and the oil is filtered in the engine, but still kind of hesitant. Have three gallons sitting in the garage though, plus some Mobil 1 WMO from my car. Anyone burned Mobil 1 waste oil in a diesel?
-P
With the money I've got tied up in this engine, I run diesel fuel and diesel fuel only maybe with a quart of PS from time to time. All old motor oil goes in the waste drum. There's one in back of the shed now about 3/4 full. If you want to burn it, you're welcome to come and get it.

Quick Reply: Filtering Engine Oil --to burn in tank.