Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

Lubricity Additive Test

Old 09-01-2007, 06:02 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Lubricity Additive Test

Moparman1973 found this, please read and lets start the discussions.

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=177728
Old 09-01-2007, 06:34 PM
Banned

looks interesting, but I am curious as to the quantities used, for the best performer, soy bio diesel, they added 60 + oz, but for two stroke oil they added only 16 oz........... I wonder what the score would have been on the 2 stroke oil if they added it at the one oz per gallon we are accustomed to? interesting but not conclusive for all but the lowest performers, leave them on the shelf. As for adding the best available, that would be the soy, but o drat, soy 100% bio diesel isn't available around here, shipping would increase its cost considerably as each tank would require 4 lbs of soy bd.
Old 09-02-2007, 03:19 PM
Banned

I think I might order some opti-lube and give it a try. Why not?
Old 09-02-2007, 07:15 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Interesting that Marvel Mystery Oil caused fuel to have less lubricity
42 microns worse than baseline fuel (straight diesel)
Old 09-02-2007, 07:31 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I too think its interesting that Marvel Mystery oil was so bad. Not that I have any reason to believe in it, but it's been around forever and has a big following. Seems like the bio is the best and maybe would be cheap at the quantities used. Since it's approved for use on the roads there will never be a hassle from the fuel police. Looks like they added about 2 quarts per tank. Easy to do.

John
Old 09-02-2007, 10:28 PM

It's hardly a test, but my most recent tank of fuel (with approx. 200:1 TCW-3 and approx. 480:1 Power Service Diesel Klean) got me at least 25 miles farther than ever before.

It seems quieter, as I never even had to shutdown at an intercom so they could hear me.

OH, and I posted a link to that test somewhere on this site a few days ago.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:21 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Not sure what to think about MMO. I do know that it's not a very good solvent. Proof is the type 3 plastic container that it comes in. Put Power Service in that same container and it will start to soften and melt after a period of time.

MikeyB
Old 09-03-2007, 10:30 AM

Read every post in that thread, and it gives you something to think about. I wish some other additives were tested, because a lot of those are not available around here. Anyone ever use Howe's Lubricator?
Old 09-03-2007, 04:38 PM

According to the msds I have seen Marvel Mystery Oil contains naptha which is an abrasive so I'm not surprised at all it actually worsens the lubricity. I would not put anything in my fuel with an alcohol or solvent in it. I've been dumping 5 oz of Howes Meaner Power Kleaner and 10 oz of Howes Winter Diesel treat in every tank since I bought my truck. Howes claims they do not contain any solvents or alcohols I trust they dont but have never seen an msds so can't be sure. I did not notice any power or mpg gain from Howes and it did not seem to quiet my engine any. One guy on here reported it made his truck blow blue smoke at idle. I've not had that problem. I'm only using it as a biocide and for it's water demulsyfication not for lubricity.

After seeing this additive test though, and reading lots of different things on fuel etc and having followed 2 stroke discussions for a long time, yesterday I decided to start adding a quart of Supertech Outboard 2 cycle TC-W3 per tank for extra lubricity. I'm just not so sure I want to take it for granted any more that fuel retailers are dumping lubricity additives into the diesel I buy like they are supposed to. Immediate impressions since dumping the 2 stroke in is that my truck starts noticeably easier and runs quieter. So 1 qt of 2 cycle, 5 oz meaner power kleaner, and 10 oz winter diesel treat and that's my concoction for every tank.
Old 09-03-2007, 05:20 PM

If VP44 pumps die from wear, and if there is the slightest chance of getting dry fuel....

You'd have to shoot me to keep me from adding TCW-3!!!

I have to fill up tomorrow. It will take around 30 gallons. It will get 20oz of TCW-3 and 8oz of Diesel Klean.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:08 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
P.S. meltdown

Originally Posted by MikeyB
Not sure what to think about MMO. I do know that it's not a very good solvent. Proof is the type 3 plastic container that it comes in. Put Power Service in that same container and it will start to soften and melt after a period of time.

MikeyB
Interesting observation about the container meltdown. I had a 12 oz. Redline diesel treatment bottle which I used for dispensing Power Service Diesel Kleen over a period of a month. In that span of time P.S. melted the bottle.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Danderson
Interesting observation about the container meltdown. I had a 12 oz. Redline diesel treatment bottle which I used for dispensing Power Service Diesel Kleen over a period of a month. In that span of time P.S. melted the bottle.
Do you remember what plastic type was used by Redline?

MikeyB
Old 09-04-2007, 11:48 AM
Banned

who knows the plastic type mikey? come on now!! i thought they are all the same

dangerous dave-
why are you worried about a vp44 when you have an 03?

brett
Old 09-04-2007, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by rustyshakelford
who knows the plastic type mikey? come on now!! i thought they are all the same

dangerous dave-
why are you worried about a vp44 when you have an 03?

brett
Aaaaah, it's usually marked on the bottom of the container. A number printed inside the recycling icon. Not all plastics are created equal......

MikeyB
Old 09-04-2007, 05:47 PM

I didn't know until another thread that I didn't have a VP44.

I'm learning as I go. I don't even know if mine is an '03 or an '03.5 yet.

I STILL think TCW-3 in moderation can only help, CP3 or whatever! (edit - moderastion in this case 24oz. TCW-3 and 8oz. Diesel Klean for 31.124 gallons)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lubricity Additive Test