Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

Info on truckers PROTEST

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 12:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ahhh, I wrote a long response, but why bother, erased it. You have no idea what is going on. And the pergallon taxes are but a small part of it.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:52 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I actually think I have a pretty good idea what's happening.

A couple issues of The Economist will get almost anyone up to speed in no time.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Haulin_in_Dixie
Ahhh, I wrote a long response, but why bother, erased it. You have no idea what is going on. And the pergallon taxes are but a small part of it.
I know where your coming from, I drove Truck Trailer for a few years.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:54 AM

You know whats really worrying in all of this.. is that taxes are levied in US dollars and as the dollar becomes worth less and less, the amount of real money the government takes in becomes lower. They will be looking to our wallets soon, mark my words.
Old 03-28-2008, 05:58 PM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I say shut em down. The rolling protest is childish at best.
Old 03-28-2008, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by CowboyDave
I say shut em down. The rolling protest is childish at best.
i agree...... and don't forget to turn off everything that runs on electricity tomorrow night at 8 pm for 'earth hour'.
Old 03-28-2008, 06:52 PM
Chapter President

If they wanted me to do that then dont have "green hour" during March Madness. That and the fridge keeps the beers cold, that baby doesnt get shut down unless it is a power outage.
Old 03-28-2008, 06:55 PM

Even more than usual (and I notice many other people are doing it too) I'm doing only 59-61mph. My odo reads 580ish and my MTE reads 230ish.

Slowing down does help.

I FEEL for the truckers. BUT when they go flying by me at 70+ I don't quite UNDERSTAND 'em.

And I see more flatbeds running empty than I think is healthy.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:43 PM

I am riding it in overdrive at the lowest economy rpm, which is about 1250 and gives me about 1 mpg better mileage. I never idle but use a generator. I get 8.3 to 8.5 average, loaded and empty. Plan to pull the power divider axle and run single axle for another 1 to 2 mpg. Trying for 10 mpg on a condo with 500 hp. Most truckers that I tell that to do not believe me at all. I run light about 60 to 65k loaded but with lousy aerodynamics.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:46 PM

I might add that you will never slow down company trucks, they don't pay for the fuel. Around here the average truck is doing 60 or less. A few doing 70, which is the speed limit, but rarely see the cowboy at 80 or so.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:01 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I thought all this was smoke and mirrors until today. Trucker that delivers to my feed store said his company was seriously considering shutting down along with everyone else. And yes, it is a company truck. Needless to say if they don't run, I won't have any horse feed. Store gets one to 3 trucks a week and sells just about all of it in a week. They have already changed there governors to 62 mph.

Long story short. If the truck drivers do pull it off and get most of the trucks to park let's see how you feel when you can't get groceries, fuel, and bare essentials. Then you will see the light.

By the way, I say "go for it". I will suffer through it for there cause. Who cares why, it's just the point of it all. Maybe it will bust that oil per barrel bubble the investers have built. Every now and then you just have to stick it to the man any way you can.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Spooler

Long story short. If the truck drivers do pull it off and get most of the trucks to park let's see how you feel when you can't get groceries, fuel, and bare essentials. Then you will see the light.
you make it sound as if we're anti-truck driver, and pro-high fuel prices. i would say that just about everyone on this forum has issues with the price of diesel, and thinks that most truck drivers are hard working, honorable individuals. so, as a result of this strike, are the oil companies going to 'see the light' and become concerned citizens and drop the price of fuel, or is the gov't going to 'see the light' and stop collecting fuel taxes? not trying to be sarcastic, but i am really wondering where the price relief is supposed to be coming from.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:25 PM

How about raising gas and lowering fuel about 45 cents. Diesel is a rip off at 90 cents more than gas.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Haulin_in_Dixie
How about raising gas and lowering fuel about 45 cents. Diesel is a rip off at 90 cents more than gas.
i certainly have no problem with that, but that falls into the 'oil companies becoming concerned citizens' category, because by increasing the price of gas, people will drive less, therefore decreasing the amount of money that the oil companies take in. most people know that for the most part, diesel is a fuel of necessity, so it will be bought in pretty much the same amount, no matter what the price is.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by chipmonk
i certainly have no problem with that, but that falls into the 'oil companies becoming concerned citizens' category, because by increasing the price of gas, people will drive less, therefore decreasing the amount of money that the oil companies take in. most people know that for the most part, diesel is a fuel of necessity, so it will be bought in pretty much the same amount, no matter what the price is.
No, laws should be enacted. Cars can buddy up and save fuel, trucks cannot. There should be fair pricing legislation where the oil company has to show why a product is price elevated. How about those poor slobs in the northeast paying four dollars less road taxes for a low grade refine? They are paying 3.65 to 3.70 to heat the house. Read ripoff, why? Because they can get away with it.

Here is some info on the truck problem:

http://www.landlinemag.com/todays_ne.../032808-01.htm

Quick Reply: Info on truckers PROTEST