Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

I Liked The Bio

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 03:39 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd say the texas oil companies have a large role in why it's banned there. There gonna totally BAN it? Unleaded gas has proven to be far worse than diesel... come on now, they just can't stand not making everyone rely on unleaded gas.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:40 PM
Banned

And how could Bush let that happen in his home state when he made it a huge point that they were investing in alternative fuels?
Old 03-14-2007, 03:53 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Box5
I'd say the texas oil companies have a large role in why it's banned there. There gonna totally BAN it? Unleaded gas has proven to be far worse than diesel... come on now, they just can't stand not making everyone rely on unleaded gas.
In that first link they go on to say that the 10% Ethanol has proved worse (and much more consumed) than the bio.

Bush has nothing do say about what Texas does (anymore that is). They are on there own. It's just a shame more than anything. People of Texas need to rise up against non-sense like this.

Then again, in my state you have to be first raped or crippled by an attacker to get a CCW permit, so suppose I shouldn't be talking about taking action with legislators.....
Old 03-15-2007, 08:53 AM

Heh, takes an act of god to get a CCW permit here. And if you ever DID have to defend yourself, it would be your fault for ever wanting to do something like that.
I heard the Texas ban was to do with NOx which is a little higher on bio. I bet the local oil industry had a hand in pushing that issue too. They have more money now than they know what to do with.
Id like to see some studies on the negative effects of diesel particulate versus that from biodiesel. That might help make bio more attractive.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Texas is about the only place or source that says that bio is worse , then the the extreme environmentalists .
I do not have them all and then it seems that when I want to use a link , I have to almost reread to find what I'm looking for , but try this .

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/models/biodsl.htm
Biodiesel Emissions Analysis Program - OTAQ - EPA
Old 03-17-2007, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by kawi600
I heard the Texas ban was to do with NOx which is a little higher on bio. I bet the local oil industry had a hand in pushing that issue too. They have more money now than they know what to do with.
Id like to see some studies on the negative effects of diesel particulate versus that from biodiesel. That might help make bio more attractive.
The NOx test that raised a red flag from my understanding was from only one particular diesel engine, the others either showed lower emmissions of NOx or what is considered the norm amount admitted, and the NOx emissions was only very slightly higher than the norm on that one particular engine. As for the local oil industry you can bet they are watching the way bio was taking off because that's getting into their back pocket and they are going to be looking for any excuse to get that problem solved.

Tony
Old 03-17-2007, 07:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've had that texas study thrown in my face (on other forums not as laid back as this one) when I've brought up biodiesel as an alternative fuel, by people who wanted to "prove" that bio was a bad idea, or that those promoting it were somehow hypocrites.

As far as anti-bio laws go, I've heard that in CA you need a million dollar bond to transport even homebrew quantities of waste vegetable oil. This was put through by the rendering companies who saw that the bio folks who were hauling off WVO for free were cutting into their business of getting paid to remove it.

Old 04-01-2007, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by infidel
Running over 50% BD on a common rail engine is well proven to be asking for trouble depending on the quality of the fuel. The higher temps and pressure in the common rail system tend to polymerize the fuel.

Where did you hear this ????I am in the process of building a processor and I intend to go B100 for sure. I also drive a 2005 CTD. I'm not saying you are wrong at all, I just never heard this yet and would like to read up on it further. Any links or references?