Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

How to beat gas prices......?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 11:13 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by IA_James
I'd have tried to photoshop the racing stripes off it before I put a link to that up.

Where the heck did you get those stripes?

Old 04-13-2006, 11:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I laugh everytime this subject of boycotting comes up. Come on guys do it I need a vacation.

While your at it why not boycott the stock market & see if that improves anything.

Haulinthathighpricedfuel&lovinit
Old 04-13-2006, 12:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm saving by driving slower, driving less and riding the bike more. But around here diesel is 20-30 cents less than regular unleaded.
Wish I could get the wife to do the same.

MikeyB
Old 04-13-2006, 03:28 PM

I only wish that diesel was cheaper than gas in my area. If anything, it is usually 10 to 20 cents higher than gasoline. What is the deal with this?
Wheelo
Old 04-13-2006, 03:29 PM

GAS WAR - an idea that WILL work
Excerpts from the Famous Letter

1--Since we all rely on our cars, we can't just stop
buying gas.
---TRUE

1. This is true, well maybe not, you could walk, sell your truck and get a Yugo, ride a moped named "Old Flame". etc.

2--Here's the idea: For the rest of this year, DON'T
purchase ANY gasoline from the two biggest companies
(which now are one), EXXON and MOBIL. If they are not
selling any gas, they will be inclined to reduce their
prices. If they reduce their prices, the other
companies will have to follow suit. But to have an
impact, we need to reach literally millions of Exxon
and Mobil gas buyers. It's really simple to do!
----FALSE

2. If XOM drop the prices and no-one buys the gas till it gets down to $1.30 then the other stations will not see a decline in sales. So they would have no need to lower their prices. In fact they will have an increase in business due to the fact that you are buying from them rather than ExxonMobil. ExxonMobil can't reduce their prices to $1.30 a gallon because the price of oil is established by the World Demand. To sell at $1.30 a gallon they would have to lose money. But there is no need for that, because their refineries will be selling all the fuel they make to the other stations who are now selling more. Remember we have very little surplus refining capacity. What you would accomplish is putting all the privately owned stations out of business. They can't afford to sell at a loss.

3--(If you don't understand how we can reach 300 million
and all you have to do is send this to 10 people....
Well, let's face it, you just aren't a mathematician.
But I am so trust me on this one.) :-)
---False

3. You might be able to reach that number of people with a chain letter. But you aren't much of a mathematician or you would surely have at least a slight grasp of supply side economics.

4-- I suggest that we not buy from EXXON/MOBIL UNTIL
THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE $1.30 RANGE AND KEEP
THEM DOWN. THIS CAN REALLY WORK.---
FALSE

4. You can't get the price down that low without reducing demand. The only way oil prices will lower is reducing demand. Even that probably won't work because folks like Al(Internet)Gore and Hillary would like to impose an additional $2 a gallon gas tax to encourage conservation. Much like Europe has. The only way to get oil prices down is overproduction or lower demand. Not likely to happen any time soon. We are totally dependant on foreign oil. Yes we produce some here, but not enough to be able to effect world crude prices. Our best chance is too drastically increase US production. This won't happen without a fierce battle with the Tree Huggers.

Come on folks, does anyone really believe this crap?

By the way if you are wondering how I got so smart. It's because I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Old 04-13-2006, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Dieseldude4x4
Hmmmm. I knew someone would get spun up. Just top show you, I drive this part time cause it gets me 44 MPG.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...cat=500&page=2

My truck and my Wrangler only get about 20.

I am about as worked up as I am going to get. Not very.

Nice ecomomy on that car. Very impressive. I just filled up the Jetta for the first time (only had a half a tank in it when I bought it) and have yet to get an accurate number on how my average economy is going to be but hopefully over that just a bit.
Old 04-13-2006, 05:29 PM
Administrator

Them boys in the shop make fun of my little car with the stripes on it to and I just drive by and watch them pumping $60 and $70 worth of gas into their burbs and jacked up Fords and all that other economical transportation and laugh. Plus, that thing has about 1500 watts of stereo in it too. Coolness.........

There is a long story behind those stripes. My son rolled that car when it had only 7400 miles on it and I had some extra stuff done to it while it was in the body shop.

Jettas are cool. A friend at work had the diesel and he claims 55 mpg easily.
Old 04-13-2006, 09:36 PM

Hi!

What does a barrel of oil cost at the moment? Last time I checked it was right around 70 $. That´s about 1.75 $ for a gallon before refinement and tax. I don´t know your tax numbers in the USA, but they are a lot lower compared to Europe. Here we pay 1.30 € for one liter gas (about 6 $ a gallon). Diesel is about 20 Euro-cents lower per liter.

If the barrel price stays at 70 $ or even rises more, huh, I guess prices at your gassing station won´t go down.

The only way to avoid big prices for gas and diesel, at least here in Europe, is to go a different route. CNG/LPG is booming right now for gas engined cars as there are no high taxes on these fuels. For a diesel, veggie oil is the future for cheap and environmantal friendly driving. But you have to modify your fuel system a little bit, then enjoy driving at half the price. Sure, this doesn´t count for the US at the moment as your fuel is quite low in price compared to Europe. But once you get those freaking huge prices for gas/diesel, keep in mind that there are solutions out there.

Edit: hmm, I counted at least four or five posts from me so far, how does it come it only displays two?
Old 04-14-2006, 12:18 AM
Administrator

Not, soon as they catch on to that, it will go through the roof too.

Could be cause posts in OTHER don't count.
Old 04-14-2006, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by Northern Light
Edit: hmm, I counted at least four or five posts from me so far, how does it come it only displays two?
It does not count any posts in the general forum (maybe just other, not sure).

The alternatives are not that worth the hassle or cost at this point. I wouldn't mind making BIO, but it is not worth my time to try to find a place to give me the waste oil and then produce it. AND hope I got it right, or worrying when it sits for extended times.

Randy
Old 04-14-2006, 01:13 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dieseldude4x4

There is a long story behind those stripes. My son rolled that car when it had only 7400 miles on it and I had some extra stuff done to it while it was in the body shop.
Wait wait wait...

You had extra stuff done to it?

As in, you consciously had the stripes added?

DOES NOT COMPUTE.... DOES NOT COMPUTE.... DOES NOT COMPUTE.... DOES NOT COMPUTE....
DOES NOT COMPUTE.... DOES NOT COMPUTE.... DOES NOT COMPUTE.... DOES NOT COMPUTE....

Old 04-14-2006, 02:13 AM

Economics are really quite simple and haven't changed much. Law 1 is product prices are tied to the supply and demand on the product. Governments always take their share off in taxes which does little to change the simple supply/demand. If we don't buy fuel from one company or another at this point in time it won't change the basic equation. China, India and Asia in general are causing the demand and oil prices reflect that. Openly traded commodity goes to the highest bidder (demand). Overseas markets of Asia and Europe will pay a higher price for fuel. I'm no business expert but my son is a second year university student and I sometimes read his studies. It seems to make sense.
Old 04-14-2006, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by newriverSpecon
It does not count any posts in the general forum (maybe just other, not sure).
Hi Randy,

thx, that makes sense
Old 04-14-2006, 11:15 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Begle1
Wait wait wait...
You had extra stuff done to it?
As in, you consciously had the stripes added?
Keep laughing, like I told them boys in the shop:

44 MPG 44 MPG 44 MPG 44 MPG 44 MPG 44 MPG 44 MPG 44 MPG 44 MPG 44 MPG 44 MPG 44 MPG 44 MPG 44 MPG 44 MPG 44 MPG 44 MPG 44 MPG 44 MPG 44 MPG 44 MPG 44 MPG 44 MPG 44 MPG 44 MPG 44 MPG 44 MPG 44 MPG 44 MPG 44 MPG 44 MPG 44 MPG 44 MPG
Old 04-14-2006, 11:30 AM
Banned

It's easy, just use WVO. I just filled my 50 gal tank yesterday, and at 3.09 (today) in California, that means I saved $154.50

Quick Reply: How to beat gas prices......?