Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

Fines for off road diesel use?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 08:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Fines for off road diesel use?

I dont know if this has been brought up already, but i curious to see what the fines are for using farm diesel on the road as an everyday driver. I am sure it varies with each state but what are they?

*****Just to go on record, i am not looking at doing it!!!!*****
Old 04-10-2008, 09:36 AM

ALOT! lol.

im not sure on a exact number but it is pricey. i wouldn't do it (not saying that you are)
Old 04-10-2008, 10:01 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
You are correct, it varies by state. Here in Montana it's a flat $100 fine for the first offence and rarely enforced.
I've read that in Nevada you only have to pay the road tax for the 35 gallons you were caught running red in.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:02 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
From what I hear, it is different state to state, either 1k per gallon, or a 10k fine. If they want to push it, they (IRS) can audit you and see how long you have been using it, and get you for that too. And, you could go to jail for tax evasion. That's pretty 'worst case,' but possible...

On that note, I have never been dipped, nor have I seen anyone around here being dipped. Where I grew up at, there were the 'fuel police' dipping tanks outside rodeo's and other redneck events.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here in IA a farmer got $10,000 ticket by the state cop who dipped his tank and the state revenue guys went to the farm and he had to pay road tax on all 5500 gallons of diesel fuel found on the farm including the farm trucks and tractors.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:05 PM

Just a thought...
Would a farmer hauling (off road fuel) in a transfer tank in the bed for his equipment get fined for that??? Around where we are I have not heard of people being dipped, but was wondering if anyone had experience with it.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:09 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The latest I've heard is asking driver's to drain some from the filter ( water in fuel drain valve) and checking there! The DOT isn't ignorant........they know that there are more than a few guys running off of the tank in the bed! Not worth it in my opinion.
Old 04-10-2008, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by vzdude
The latest I've heard is asking driver's to drain some from the filter ( water in fuel drain valve) and checking there! The DOT isn't ignorant........they know that there are more than a few guys running off of the tank in the bed! Not worth it in my opinion.
I think he was asking if a farmer HAULING red fuel for his equipment in an aux tank, not using it, can be cause for a fine.
Old 04-10-2008, 01:51 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by DBLR
Here in IA a farmer got $10,000 ticket by the state cop who dipped his tank and the state revenue guys went to the farm and he had to pay road tax on all 5500 gallons of diesel fuel found on the farm including the farm trucks and tractors.
BS....................
Old 04-10-2008, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by ian515
I think he was asking if a farmer HAULING red fuel for his equipment in an aux tank, not using it, can be cause for a fine.
Right thats what i was talking about.
Not using
Just Hauling
Old 04-10-2008, 04:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We have several farmers around here with a tank in the bed to fill the tractors in the field. There is no problem having a tank in the bed the problem is when you put red fuel in your tank for on road use or its hooked in to your fuel system. Oh if you have a tank in the bed of your truck you run a higher risk of being pulled over and checked but as long as your not burning red diesel you will be on your way in no time.

johnh,

Why do you say BS? The only reason I even heard about it is a Farmer I know asked me if there was a way to clean out the traces of red diesel from his sons Duramax.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:03 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by newconcorddodge
Just a thought...
Would a farmer hauling (off road fuel) in a transfer tank in the bed for his equipment get fined for that??? Around where we are I have not heard of people being dipped, but was wondering if anyone had experience with it.
If that transfer tank is plumbed into the truck's fuel system, he may have issues. If it is just a totally separate tank, there is no issue.

They'll either dip the truck's tank or pull a sample from the water separator at the filter to check for red diesel. But the presence of the tank in the back does typically make you a little more likely to get checked.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:44 PM
Chapter President

Minnesota is 30K and 20K for the station that sold it. yes 30K!!!
Old 04-10-2008, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by 2007Dually6.7
I dont know if this has been brought up already, but i curious to see what the fines are for using farm diesel on the road as an everyday driver. I am sure it varies with each state but what are they?

*****Just to go on record, i am not looking at doing it!!!!*****
Also, I don't believe the off road diesel is ULSD yet. At least there is no signs saying it is on the pump I get mine from. Running the non-ULSD in the 6.7's will cause problems in the emissions system.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by wurkenman
Minnesota is 30K and 20K for the station that sold it. yes 30K!!!
what?!! 30k, for a first offense, any offense? what are the reasons behind such a high price?!!!

Quick Reply: Fines for off road diesel use?