Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

Finally-Making Sense of Fuel Prices

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 11:56 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by cdwmotorsports
With thinking like this "they" will keep the oil prices high, because "they" convinced you it would never come back down

BTW they is defined as all the fat pockets getting rich off this ****.
Another conspiracy theorist!

If "they" set the prices, why didn't "they" do something in the late 1990s when, during the last worldwide recession, crude oil prices dropped to $10/bbl and oil and gas-related companies were closing facilities and laying people off left and right? The market establishes the price of commodities, and prices will drop again - if not because of new supplies and technologies coming to market (increased supply), then during the NEXT recession (decreased demand).

Rusty
Old 08-27-2005, 01:25 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This was the local news editorial on TV this evening... think I agree with him..
Cap The Gas Prices In Kansas
Jon S. Janes, News Director 8/26/05

Congratulations to Hawaii, the first state to put a cap on the wholesale price of gas. Starting September 1st, you cannot pay more than $2.74 per gallon…including tax…for gas on the islands.

Every day countless stories about people adversely affected by outrageous gas prices.

Kansas got an increase in school funding, but the increase is now devalued because some of the money goes to put gas in school buses.

It’s a national frustration and no exaggeration to say…nobody, and I mean nobody…can present a rational reason why we are paying huge prices at the pump. My scenario is…it’s a marketing scam I call terror followed by relief. Here’s how it works…we are first terrorized as prices soar up past $3.00 a gallon. Then something happens, we don’t know what, to cause the price to fall back to $2.50 a gallon. We all breathe a sigh of relief. We’re so relieved to only pay $2.50 we forget it’s still much more than we should be paying. We’ve been tricked by master marketers into accepting a slight of hand price increase that shouldn’t have happened in the first place.

The answer, until we find a better way, let’s follow the state of Hawaii’s lead…let’s lobby our Kansas Legislature to pass a law that puts a cap on gas prices in Kansas.
Old 08-27-2005, 08:41 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Be interesting to see if Hawaii starts having shortages.

MikeyB
Old 08-27-2005, 11:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well at least I'm not the only conspiracy theorist....
Old 08-28-2005, 12:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No one seems to have noticed that oil went on the stock marked in 1998. That is the big problem, speculation. Also EPA shut down some refineries and not have been built to replace them. We have less production capability then we had 20 years ago.

It is not currently a shortage of crude, just refined oil. So far as the dropping dollar, I posted one of the major reasons for this in another post and it was poop-pooed. The main leader of it is Soros. Incidentally he is totally against the President and will do anything to slander him. He is also well involved in the oil markets. Soros is pushing the Euro against the dollar and pound. He is known as the man who defeated the English Bank. He also was the main cause of the 2003 devaluation of the dollar.

Spend some time, look it up....

As long as the stock market is involved the pricing is on speculation of the future, not on the bases of cost of production. This current hurricane will cause another rise in prices.... just in case they speculate that there may be a loss of a gulf oil well. Our prices will keep going up and the stock owners will keep making more money, they have a monopoly.

Good God, anyone that encourages the return of 55 nation wide is a pure idoit. More accidents, higher transportation costs and so on. In the cities ok, but not out on the road. You should try to keep awake going across Arizona at 55. It also raises the amount of traffic on our overburdened roads by 20 percent or so. How so? On a 70 hour trip, vehicles are on the road 15 hours more. I could even go to 65 and drive that mostly, but there is not much savings on a large vehicle below 60 to 65. That is regardless of what the Safety people say. Instead of topping a hill at 60, it breaks you down to 40 or so. It takes 20% more time to move a load the same distance at 55. That's a lot.

There is a big difference between losing five minutes going to work and losing 20 percent of your work time on the road where that is your living. Also you will pay the difference, no question about it. From a truck point of view, my costs are your costs. That will never change.
Old 08-28-2005, 07:11 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I hate to say this but coming tomorrow there's going to be a big spike in crude prices on the NyMex. Hurricane Katrina in the gulf has force shutdowns of offshore rigs along the coast of Louisiana. Catagory 4 and possibly a 5 later today the hurricane could damage these rigs and will be awhile before coming back online.

MikeyB
Old 08-28-2005, 10:15 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I haven't heard of anyone promoting a return to 55 mph speed limits.
It may have worked in the '70s with the guzzlers we had then but with modern engines slowing down doesn't give the savings like it did back then.