Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

Can you run straight (filtered) WMO?

Old 06-07-2008, 09:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am now running Valvoline Premium Blue and have a half galon of Rotella left over from previous oil changes...

1/2 galon never used new in the jug.... could I just pour it into my tank as is? could I expect any problems? I just put a new wix fuel filter in today, so that should be good...
Old 06-07-2008, 11:17 PM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You could probably pour it in, could clog your filter quickly too. It'd be better to filter it first then let your truck filter be the final filter.

I read online at Frybrid.com, well here it is, read for yourself...

http://www.frybrid.com/faq.htm#legality

In short Uncle Sam still wants his cut for "road tax". They treat it as off highway fuel according to the site. If you use it for an on highway application your supposed to contact your states department of revenue so you can calculate what you owe........hmmmmm, I'm bettin that we're gonna be floodin the phone lines Monday

Used motor oil.....hmmmm, free oil changes sign?? You supply parts and oil, I change at no cost??? Maybe I'm on to something that will save me some money....???
Old 06-07-2008, 11:43 PM

i forgot the the cop said if i dip your tank will i find diesel fuel and he said no
Old 06-11-2008, 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by ttcfan4476
i forgot the the cop said if i dip your tank will i find diesel fuel and he said no
Huh? what ?
Old 06-11-2008, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by Desert Dually
Huh? what ?
page two second to last thread
Old 06-12-2008, 12:47 AM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
[QUOTE=dodgeguy71;2109360]You could probably pour it in, could clog your filter quickly too. It'd be better to filter it first then let your truck filter be the final filter.

How can brand new oil, that has never been out of the bottle, clog a filter????
Old 06-12-2008, 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by jriggs_18
i bought to filter bases from truckpro that use a 1" 14 UNF thread. and use a fleetguard fs1000, and a ff5320 both filters are about 10 bucks from cummins, ive filtered about 100 gal and havent had to change them yet

I cant seem to find the filter base's on their site. Did you have to call in to order? Also how much did they run you?
Old 06-13-2008, 01:05 PM

[QUOTE=Raspy;2113851]
Originally Posted by dodgeguy71
You could probably pour it in, could clog your filter quickly too. It'd be better to filter it first then let your truck filter be the final filter.

How can brand new oil, that has never been out of the bottle, clog a filter????
I was wondering that too... just figured he mis-read... I am assuming I can just pour it in...

Actually on my next fill up, I am going to put some diesel in the bottle and shake it up to help pre thin it out before pouring it into the tank... then finish filling up the tank...

Figured I paid for it, may as well use it... and well it should be good for lubrication....
Old 06-13-2008, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by bcool
I cant seem to find the filter base's on their site. Did you have to call in to order? Also how much did they run you?

FB1311 Baldwin brand, bought at Truckpro for 25 ea. just know they have 7/8UNF threads on them so make sure your hose fittings are right
Old 06-16-2008, 12:23 AM

just dumped in 15 gallon after filtering was at half tank now over full not even going to add any #2 just saved 70.00 dollars and lovin it
Old 06-19-2008, 03:31 PM

Biofuel

Anyone tried using bio, whether its used oil, fresh oil WVO on a new 6.7L cummins?

07 2500 4X4 MEGACAB 6.7
Old 06-20-2008, 05:11 AM

How about a phone numbers, links to where we can get the filters. I have a setup for my transfer tank mounted on an electric pump which has a spin on filter. Will these work with the 2 micron filters ? I assume the lower the micron the better it filters ? I am setup with 10 micron filter now, but not had time to go get my first batch of wmo.....
Old 06-20-2008, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by snowjoker
How about a phone numbers, links to where we can get the filters. I have a setup for my transfer tank mounted on an electric pump which has a spin on filter. Will these work with the 2 micron filters ? I assume the lower the micron the better it filters ? I am setup with 10 micron filter now, but not had time to go get my first batch of wmo.....
There is a guy on Fleebay who sells 1 micron filter socks, i think even ½ micron if you want. I been filtering my WMO with 1 micron, gravity feed setup i made with an old bucket and a couple of pieces of PVC pipe and a funnel. It aint pretty, but does a great job of filtering the WMO down to a level i feel comfortable enough with to pour into the fuel system of a truck. Truck runs great, no extra smoke that i've noticed. Seems maybe a little quieter at idle, maybe because of increased fuel lubricity? I dunno, I'm not an engineer. I've stuck with the Cummins approved ratio of 5% which is 7 quarts in my truck. Not a giant amount of savings at that ratio, but I may experiment with more later. I am just leery of pushing the envelope too far with a CR truck. If I had a 12V, I'd be running 80% WMO and rollin coal like a *****
Old 06-21-2008, 11:18 PM

How are you guy mixing the oil with diesel are you just dumping in the 25-50% and just toping off with fuel. Or are you mixing the diesel with the oil before you put in the truck? Does this matter
I just went threw my first tank just added 5 gallons of used oil truck ran completely the same. I ran this on my 85 ford 6.9 diesel. I won't try it anytime soon on my 06.
Old 06-22-2008, 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by RAMRODD
How are you guy mixing the oil with diesel are you just dumping in the 25-50% and just toping off with fuel. Or are you mixing the diesel with the oil before you put in the truck? Does this matter
I just went threw my first tank just added 5 gallons of used oil truck ran completely the same. I ran this on my 85 ford 6.9 diesel. I won't try it anytime soon on my 06.
that old Ford has IDI, right? I'm pretty sure you can run that engine on 85% WMO. I've heard good things about that engine and its ability to run on bizarre fuel sources and blends.

Somebody correct me if I am wrong here, but as for mixing the WMO into the fuel tank, its really not necessary. The oil moves from an area of greater concentration to an area of lesser concentration because the Diesel fuel acts a solvent. Plus, the in tank pump will help to circulate it as well, and the return line too. Anyway, I just pour the measured 7 quarts into a nearly full fuel tank. As the oil flows down the full tank, it intersperses (sp?) almost immediately. Try it in a glass jar if you are curious. Put a quart of diesel fuel into a pickle jar, and then add a DROP or two of WMO and watch what happens.

BTW, your '06 will happily run on 7 qts WMO added to the fuel tank

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can you run straight (filtered) WMO?