Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

Burning Used Oil vs. Fuel Filter Life

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 09:22 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Aside from the foreign material in used oil, and premature filter clogging, It has been proven by major engine mfg's that running used oil in your fuel will contribute to shorter injection pump plunger and barrel life as well as injector life due to the acidity in the used oil. In time, the acidity in used oil can and will erode machined metal to metal surfaces in your fuel system.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We have been burning it on the farm for a couple of generations. It goes into the bulk tank (500 gal.) then when pumped goes through a 10 mic. fuel/water seperator and then a 7 mic. fuel filter. We have not ever had any problems but I rarely run it in the new truck.( seems like a bad idea on a caytalitic converter equipped anything)
Joe
Old 04-19-2008, 04:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ace
This is an old thread, but it popped up as I was researching a recent project. I believe Haulin' is mostly right, and anyone who uses "seems to me" frequently throughout their posts isn't speaking from experience OR actual knowledge. Anyway, couple of things:

1) The oil filter on your engine is rated around 17-20um (microns). Diesel soot (the stuff that makes the oil black, for the most part) runs arouns 1um. So the oil you drain from the pan does not have anything big enough in it to cause much harm to a fuel filter, to start with.

2) Any metal found in "normal" used oil is not filings, shavings, or even anything that can be seen with a microsocope. As was said, you have other bigger issues, that being the case. The wear metals from bearnigs, rings etc, are literally dissolved into solution in the oil and can only be seen through oil analysis. They're basically liquified.

But, if your're a paranoid, **** perfectionist you can very cost effectively and finely filter it before dumping it in the fuel tank. Follow this thread for details and future updates:

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ad.php?t=33249
I'd have to agree with that (what I was thinking) So many have argued that it's bad for the fuel system cause it's acidic, ect, this and that. However you have to remember this oil is in your motor, lubricating the crank, cam, rods, ect. If your worried about the oil ruining your injection pump, you should be more worried about the engine itself. While I'm not sure if the cam/crank has tighter tolerances than the fuel system, the oil still has the "contaimants" in it, so if it's bad for the fuel system, it's bad for the engine, again all this wear metal is in there on the rods ect. I've seen fuel pumps wear out, but almost never an oil pump. Again I recycle mine for the fact that it gets refiltered, ect (I don't have an issue pouring it into my 100 dollar lawn mower) I use it till it's up.

As far as what's recomended, a quart per 25 gallons I would think is fine, although i would add what I normally do for fuel treatment (8oz every tank) this is almost nothing but still something.
Old 04-19-2008, 05:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have always gone by Cummins recommendations of 5%. In the earlier engines, detroits I used 10% and never had a problem. Get to much in and the engine will start to knock and bang at idle. Since Gorbal warming Cummins no longer publishes the WO percentages but I am using the same engine as when they did. Also unless they have changed them, my filters are 10 micron. On the Fass system I use 5 micron.

On todays fuel my Freightliner will start running rough and sounding crappy, adding either fuel conditioner or a couple gallons of WO and it will smooth out.

Something interesting I recently ran into and don't have the time now but I can supply the site, wholsalers of fuel have been adding waste oil to the 500 ppm fuel that you buy at the pump. They can no longer do that legally on the ulsd.
Old 04-19-2008, 06:17 PM

My oil gets changed at a dealership, so I don't have a chance (and don't think I would if I did) to run used oil.

I DO run TCW-3 2-stroke oil at roughly 1oz per gallon for the reason of making my pumps last LONGER.

Engine Oil isn't designed to burn, but TCW-3 sure is!
Old 04-21-2008, 12:28 PM

I run around 10 gallons per fillup, I tried 15 gallons, and ended up puttin in 50 dollars worth of diesel into the tank at 4.02 US a gallon, and it started to run really really rough with alot of blue smoke and no power. Replaced the fuel filter and it runs great now. On straight #2 I would change out the fuel filter every 10K and now I average about 8K on fuel filters now, and with fuel at 4 dollars a gallon now, If I put 10 gallons in a week and fill up 4 times a month, that's savin me $160 US a month, and I've been runnin WMO for about almost 30K now with only that one hiccup. So I'm gonna keep on doin it.