Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

BIODIESEL PROJECT: will this work?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 10:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BIODIESEL PROJECT: will this work?

wanted to get some advice from some of you more knowlegable folks out there. im mixing veggie oil with kerosene,small amount of unleaded gas,diesel kleenz cetane booster,and a secret additive from dieselsecret.com. running it from my drum to a fuel pump, to a 20 micron water filter,to a 5 micron water filter and then to a de-watering filter. i have it all set up and ready to go.will it give me any mechanical problems? any other suggestions before i try it out? i appreciate any help, thanks guys
Old 09-09-2008, 04:00 PM

so nobody can help me out huh?
Old 09-09-2008, 04:06 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
It will work if destroying your Injection pump and injectors is your goal.......

Never use Gasoline in a diesel engine, it is a major mistake as it removes the lubricity of the fuel. No additives will fix the problem.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:14 PM

Ditto on what Larry posted.

If you are interested in alternative fuels do your homework. There are NO SHORTCUTS to quality fuel, and all modern diesels demand quality fuel unless you are determined to blow something up.

In a nutshell, vegetable oils must be reduced from around 20 centistokes viscosity to below 4 Centistokes (give or take a 'stoke) to be about the same viscosity as #2 diesel. The only way to do that without damage is either to convert the oil to ASTM quality biodiesel, or heat the vegetable oil to over 165 degrees F FROM INLET OF THE INJECTOR PUMP TO THE INJECTORS. Your injector nozzles where designed for a specific fluid viscosity at a specific pressure. If they don't get it, you'll be "hosing" oil into your cylinders instead of "misting" which will lead to coking and other expensive problems.

-David
Old 09-10-2008, 07:16 AM

thanks for the advice guys
Old 09-10-2008, 08:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I might consider blending for use in a kerosene heater in the shop, but I wouldnt run it in my truck.
The viscosity difference even with the blend might be a problem. Even if thats spot on, the next problem is what temp does the fuel ignite at? After that Id worry about lubricity.
If youre really dead-set on doing it, Id have the blend tested for lubricity, flash point and viscosity.
if the fuel doesnt spray properly it will coke up and cause washdown problems. pre-ignition places high loads on the rods and crank. lack of lubricity will cause wear on pump parts.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:15 AM

thanks kawi. whats the best way to go about testing the blend?
Old 09-10-2008, 09:49 AM

the do it yourself standard for biodiesel is the 27/3 test. take 3mL of bio and put it in 27mL of methanol. if the fuel is fully reacted, there will be no oil droplets that fall out.

it sounds more like you're thinning out veg oil than you are making biodiesel.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:34 AM

Dangit.. my head's gonna explode... what does a stroke sound like from the inside?

Diesel Secret = dead pump, coked injectors.

Calling that trash "biodiesel" is the reason real biodiesel is still met with scepticism by many people. They hear how "biodiesel" cost a friend's brother's girlfriend's dad a $3500.00 fuel pump, when it was DSE or deezlsekret mixed in a 55-gal drum that really offed the pump.

I don't want to sound like I'm dumping on you, it's just that this has floated to the surface many times on this forum. I'm hereby offering my left pinky finger as a trophy to the admin that bans this topic. It's a good finger, very large for a pinky, the size of an ordinary man's index finger. If you're needing an extra digit, ban diesel secret/dse and I will forward the thing right away. I'm not getting much use from it as I type with index fingers and thumbs, and I have small nostrils. Let me know.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:39 AM

well let me ask you this stinkin diesel.would the blend still work if i didn't add the dse additive?
Old 09-10-2008, 03:52 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
I don't think it matters one way or another, nothing could make that mixture safe enough to run in my truck.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
might work in an old benz diesel but I wouldn't put in an '06 truck..NEVER!!
does the manual say you can mix small amount of gasoline into the diesel?

DSE= JUNK!!

also you subject is about biodiesel your talking about blending not making biodiesel. if you want to know about making BD ask. I've making it for years

check out
http://biodiesel.infopop.cc

start reading the forum on biodiesel, blending and other great info

-dkenny
Old 09-10-2008, 04:00 PM

ok well now i am pretty convinced that the blend is not very safe for a truck as new as mine amd i appreciate all you guys chiming in to help me out
Old 09-10-2008, 04:09 PM
Pickin on the wrong admin...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ngkefalides
ok well now i am pretty convinced that the blend is not very safe for a truck as new as mine amd i appreciate all you guys chiming in to help me out

Yes... your best bet is to build a bio-diesel processor and washer....
Old 09-10-2008, 05:10 PM

That trash isn't safe even for a truck as old as mine, especially seeing as I want to keep it running.

I also see that Top read my post and doesn't seem to need an extra finger. Do you just not need a giant trophy pinky, or do you own stock in diesel secret?

Quick Reply: BIODIESEL PROJECT: will this work?