Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

bio banned in Texas

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 11:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RickG
Man , I bet ***** is not happy at all about that !
Name is spelled Willie. He hates when people use the y..
Old 12-17-2006, 02:43 PM
Chapter President

With the dirt police it sounds like the epa has all the money.....probably from payoffs from the auto manufacturers and the oil companies, anyhow, to pay someone to ride around looking for the menacing violator blowin up dust on a dirt road in the middle of Texas!! Maybe they should use their resourses(the money) to better serve the legal citizens of the country.....something like closing the border????.......ok....that's enough, I'm leaning to the right....
Old 12-17-2006, 06:54 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I know the EPA was going to crack down on farming practices that produce dust in Washington's Columbia Basin, but in this case it's completely understandable.
The soil in the basin is very fine, makes for fine dust that gets hung up in people's lungs. The Basin has several dust storms per year that reduce visibility to zero, satellites have tracked the dust clouds all the way across the US.
Not such a big deal for farmers, they don't like their soil blowing away either. Only a inferior farmer uses practices that erode his soil and probably shouldn't be farming anyway.
Old 12-17-2006, 07:35 PM

so is bio diesel banned or not. i want to buy a home brewing kit but not going to mess with it if its banned.
how would a 04 dodge run on it?
Old 12-17-2006, 07:58 PM

No its not banned...if it was the press would be all over it
Old 12-17-2006, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by moparoffroad8
so is bio diesel banned or not. i want to buy a home brewing kit but not going to mess with it if its banned.
how would a 04 dodge run on it?
No, it has not been banned.
Old 12-17-2006, 08:04 PM

Now if we could just legalize hemp we could have bio fuel in Alaska....and its not that we lack for growers here...
Old 12-17-2006, 08:18 PM

You would think it was banned in ny I have not seen a station in ny yet that sells bio, at least upstate. nyc may have bio but i have never been there
Old 12-17-2006, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by stickbow
You would think it was banned in ny I have not seen a station in ny yet that sells bio, at least upstate. nyc may have bio but i have never been there
your not missing anything
Old 12-18-2006, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by stickbow
That's because the areas that grow the crops to produce BD don't have to ship it far to use it all. Transporting BD out of the areas where it's produced just adds to it's cost and is a stupid idea.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:12 AM
Banned

I just wish they'd put a bio plant down here. I'd kill to run bio.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by infidel
Transporting BD out of the areas where it's produced just adds to it's cost and is a stupid idea.
Boy, I'm glad not everyone has such a limited outlook on things.
Old 12-18-2006, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by BigBlue
I just wish they'd put a bio plant down here. I'd kill to run bio.
They are about to. They are planning to build a plant in Burleson county in the Brazos bottom area. Utilize all the cotton seed and soy beans this area grows or could grow. They already have a contract with the Texas A&M fleet, the CS school district, Bryan School district and the Burleson County school districts. Supposedly they will sell it locally as well.
Old 12-18-2006, 01:26 PM
Banned

That's awesome news. I keep forgetting to fill up with bio whenever I go to dallas and I would kill to run it in the truck cause I love the way it runs.
Old 12-18-2006, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by ptgarcia
Boy, I'm glad not everyone has such a limited outlook on things.
Sorry buddy but I've been working professionally in the research area of BD since almost it's commercial inception. Think I have a good idea of what makes BD economically feasible. BD can't be piped though the same pipelines used for petro fuels due to contamination issues and thus must be trucked = $$$.

When we first started working with BD it was never intended to be a replacement for petro diesel, just an additive used under a 20% blend.
There is absolutely no reason to use higher concentrations of BD unless you are making it yourself. Even if every square inch of farmland in the US was used to produce BD it could only produce 3% of the diesel fuel used in the US.

Another factor of BD production many folks fail to realize is that the "waste" is worth way more than the fuel as livestock feed. Our Ag economist's analysis is that first consideration in developing a BD plant is a close by feedlot for the pulp. That is what will make or break the operation, the BD fuel must be considered a byproduct. So unless the urbanized areas of our nation don't mind being intermingled with feedlots and farms they'll probably never see widespread availability of biodiesel that is even close to being economically competitive with petro fuels.

Quick Reply: bio banned in Texas