Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

Anyone Running a 3rd Gen on SVO/WVO

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 05:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone Running a 3rd Gen on SVO/WVO

Has anyone converted their 3rd gen Ram to run on SVO/WVO? Did you do it yourself, or what kit did you buy? How many miles on SVO/WVO? Any problems?

Thanks!
Old 12-05-2006, 04:35 PM

I am going to do this in the near future. I'm in the process of getting a website up to chronical the conversion and engine response to the WVO. It will also be a place where 3rd gen'ers who ave already done the conversion can post their positive or negative experiences. As far as I can find, there isn't anyone who has done any significant study or write up of how a 3rd gen reacts of WVO.
Old 12-05-2006, 06:13 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
As far as I can find, there isn't anyone who has done any significant study or write up of how a 3rd gen reacts of WVO.
Plenty of studies have been done with CRI engines and biodiesel though.
Anything over 50% BD causes the fuel to polymerize (become stringy) causing numerous problems.
I would think WVO would cause much the same problems.
Old 12-05-2006, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by infidel
Anything over 50% BD causes the fuel to polymerize (become stringy) causing numerous problems.
Why? If the fuel is up to temp (170F & higher) & the engine is at operating temp, would WVO cause teh same polymerization? Not trying to be argumentative, but just understand what is happening (as I am seriously considering doing this to my truck. Some SVO/WVO conversion vendors suggest that the problems occur when switchover is made before teh fuel & engine is up to proper temp.

If the polymerization occurs, what does it damage: injectors, CP3, what?
Old 12-05-2006, 07:55 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Most likely due to the extreme pressure the fuel is under. Up to 25k psi in the common rail.

MikeyB
Old 12-06-2006, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by MikeyB
Most likely due to the extreme pressure the fuel is under. Up to 25k psi in the common rail.

MikeyB
Mikey is correct.
Like I said, I have no knowledge of WVO on a CRI, just BD.
With BD the amount of polymerization is directly effected by the oil feed stock the fuel is made from. The bad oils seem to be the same ones that aren't good for human health, i.e. animal fats and soy.

If I'm not mistaken the majority of deep fry WVO is from lard, probably the worst for polymerization.

Main problem with high pressure BD polymerization is that return fuel rapidly clogs filters.

As I stated, there is no problem running B50 and possibly higher depending on how much chance you want to take.
Our '04 CRI at work only made it 800 miles on refinery grade B75 before the fuel filter clogged.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:30 AM

Our '04 CRI at work only made it 800 miles on refinery grade B75 before the fuel filter clogged.

One must first remember that the bio wil supper clean your tank-fuel lines ect.. and where does that go? right to your filter.. youll most likely have to change it at least twice before it stops clogging up. a lil something they dont tell you about running bio.. Wvo will do the same thing.. as dino diesel will over time leave a "film" of sorts in and on your fuel tank-lines.

once thats cleaned up you should be fine.
Old 12-08-2006, 07:38 AM

Could you point me to these studies. I'd like to read them. I have read were bio had kill many of the powerstroke 6.0 but I have seen anyone talk about it killing their cummins. I would LOVE to talk to someone who had this problem. I've heard fuel filters clogging but that's about it.

It seems the big argument for wvo is the viscosity. There was a study done on the viscosity of VO at temp. At 170 VO has just about the same viscosity as #2 and by the time it hits the injectors it's probably around 200.

The largest problem I see is the lubricancy of the WVO would cause it "seep" down the cylinder, past the piston, and contaminate the motor oil. Synthetic oil and a dual high quality oil filter could combat that problem.

The second largest is the injectors, it may turn out the holes are just too small for prolonged use with VO. The expense of replacing with injectors having a larger diameter nozzle would be offset by the fuels savings.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:20 AM

I've been running my converted 04.5 Dodge on WVO since 9000 miles. I now have 36,500 and it still is running great.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:16 PM

One must first remember that the bio wil supper clean your tank-fuel lines ect.. and where does that go? right to your filter
Truck was brand new, no deposits to clean. This was major disappointment because our work is in BD research, we get BD for free. Still running B50 is a good deal.

Could you point me to these studies.
Do a google search for "biodiesel polymerization" for enough to keep you reading for days.
There is still a lot of debate about what causes polymerization. I have no doubt that the problem will be solved chemically very soon.
Old 12-10-2006, 12:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hm, I thought polymerization was what happens when your oil doesnt burn hot enough so it coats the cylinder and injectors with a plastic-like gunk.
I recall something about the analogy of throwing oil on a cool pan and warming it up where it turns into coke versus throwing it on a hot pan where it bubbles and burns off.
If you do run bio or vegoil and youre worried about this stuff, Id get a basline oil analysis before doing this, as well as some pics of the injector tips. Then run for awhile and compare.
Running this stuff routinely on a cold motor would be very bad.. especially if it got past the rings into the engine oil since its not a petro product.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by kawi600
Hm, I thought polymerization was what happens when your oil doesnt burn hot enough so it coats the cylinder and injectors with a plastic-like gunk.
I recall something about the analogy of throwing oil on a cool pan and warming it up where it turns into coke versus throwing it on a hot pan where it bubbles and burns off.
If you do run bio or vegoil and youre worried about this stuff, Id get a basline oil analysis before doing this, as well as some pics of the injector tips. Then run for awhile and compare.
Running this stuff routinely on a cold motor would be very bad.. especially if it got past the rings into the engine oil since its not a petro product.
Agreed - if you run on a cold motor, you will have problems. The question is, IF YOU DOI IT RIGHT will there be any longterm engine damage. Doing it right entails switching only when the oil is up to temp (take care of viscosity problems) & engine is up to temp (to prevent cokeing, etc.).