Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/fuels-biodiesel-diesel-prices-110/)
-   -   #2 fuel oil (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/fuels-biodiesel-diesel-prices-110/2-fuel-oil-135209/)

fruitcakesa 02-02-2007 08:23 PM

#2 fuel oil

Hi Folks,
What with the early winter mild weather and burning wood in my dual fuel furnace, I have a full tank of #2 fuel oil and i am thinking about running some in my 95 CTD. Will there be any problems using this in my truck? Thanks in advance
Andrew

TIMMY22 02-02-2007 08:25 PM

no problem with running it as long as uncle sam doesn't find out. [nonono]

caper 02-03-2007 08:54 AM

I burn er all the time , giver.

badme 02-03-2007 09:55 PM

Last I knew it was a $1000.00 fine in vermont. That is the bad news, the good news is I never seen anyone check pick-ups. You have to decide if it is worth taking the chance.

coparam4x4 02-04-2007 08:38 AM

What color is fuel oil? Being from the west I have no idea what fuel oil looks like or what it costs. Our ULSD out here is either clear or greenish color, if it was me I wouldn't hesitate using it, that is if it's okey for our motor's. The uncle sam thing wouldn't even cross my mind since I have NEVER seen them checking the fuel in a passenger truck. DOT out here only stops the big boy's.

badme 02-04-2007 08:53 PM

Fuel oil is red. I have a vacation home in Arizona and I was out riding my pedal bike on day and saw a fuel check stop on hwy 95. They were checking everything with a diesel, cars, pickups, heavy trucks, all of them. They had all the lanes closed checking every vehicle that went by, all of the diesels got pulled over.

3500lly 02-05-2007 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by fruitcakesa (Post 1334698)
Hi Folks,
What with the early winter mild weather and burning wood in my dual fuel furnace, I have a full tank of #2 fuel oil and i am thinking about running some in my 95 CTD. Will there be any problems using this in my truck? Thanks in advance
Andrew

I didn't know anyone in the country was having a mild winter, it's been pretty darn cold around here.

DBLR 02-05-2007 01:48 PM

Up my way I thought that we have had a mild winter until this last week or so. Now Dec of 06 was mild compared to Dec of 05, but the last week of Jan up to now has been I think 10-20 degrees colder then normal. Do you recall that the East coast was way warmer then normal all winter up until the last few weeks when they finaly got some snow and colder weather? So I think he was correct when he said it was a mild winter so far [laugh]

caper 02-06-2007 10:29 PM

Lets do some math 129 liters x 45 cents savings per liter = $58.00 savings per fill up. At that rate it will take ya 17 fill ups to pay a $1000 fine. So if ya get away from the man for 17 tank fulls anything after that is a bonus. I 'm on aprox . my 320 th tank full thats $18,500.00 saved. I think thats enough to cover my fine if they ever dip me LOL. Also puts a smile on your face driving down the road giving the government a little pay back sinse we're taxed to death up here.

AkTallPaul 02-07-2007 02:07 AM

Kinda nice here the state gives me $1000 of free #1 heating oil every winter and only dyed fuel here is Av. gas...

lgp9999 02-07-2007 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by badme (Post 1338001)
Fuel oil is red. I have a vacation home in Arizona and I was out riding my pedal bike on day and saw a fuel check stop on hwy 95. They were checking everything with a diesel, cars, pickups, heavy trucks, all of them. They had all the lanes closed checking every vehicle that went by, all of the diesels got pulled over.

Sounds like an illegal search to me.[verymad]

I wonder what would happen if you had a locking gas cap and refused to open it.

Shovelhead 02-07-2007 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by lgp9999 (Post 1342992)
Sounds like an illegal search to me.[verymad]

I wonder what would happen if you had a locking gas cap and refused to open it.

They'll swab your tailpipe and the chemical residue in the soot will STILL get you in trouble.

It never ceases to amaze me how people that feel they can ignore the rules get REAL concerned about the folks that are paid to ENFORCE those rules staying within the rules.

infidel 02-07-2007 12:08 PM

You can cheat on your income taxes too and you most likely won't get caught. Doesn't make it right though.

Many states have found that checking noncommercial vehicles for red fuel costs more than they raise in fines and lost taxes and have severally cut back on enforcement. Montana went from over thirty officers a few years ago to the current three for the entire state now.

woodrat 02-14-2007 09:10 PM

Still sounds like a completely unconsitutional search. No probable cause.

You can easily make the case that people shouldn't evade paying taxes, and that's fair enough, but I think one can easily make the case that mass, cause-less searches of people's fuel tanks is creepy and un-American.

What if you had paid the road tax on that red fuel, then what? My guess is the way bureaucracy and law enforcement tend to work, you would STILL end up in court.

woodrat 02-14-2007 10:54 PM

oh, and if one wants to complain that some aren't paying fair share for road tax, maybe those of us who buy pump gas for chainsaws and boats and ATVs and so forth should start filing the paperwork to get BACK the taxes we've wrongly paid on pump gas that never made it out onto the road. In a boat-busy summer, I put hundreds of dollars of pump gas, tax and all, into my boat and I don't do much whining about how unfair it is that i am paying road tax for my boat fuel.

i find the whole riff about how evil tax dodgers are to be pretty tiresome, as you can tell. There never seems to be a shortage of money to be constantly tearing up and reconstructing road surfaces and running huge widening projects everywhere.

Rant over, carry on!