Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

1st gen running WVO

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 07:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st gen running WVO

Hey guys,

I did a search and saw something from over a year ago, so I am bumping to see if anyone can give some inside to a guy looking to convert a 1 gen to run on WVO... Thanks very much for your help...Jake
Old 05-26-2007, 01:59 PM

Dual tanks. Add hot fox to vo tank. add aux fuel pump to aux. heated fuel filter. THen buy a 6 port pollak or 2 or 3 3 port valves. Since you have a prime- loc, reroute the outgoing fuel to the selector valve and vegie fuel to same valve. This bypasses stock fuel filter for veggie. Think about looping the return to same valve while on veggie. Add heat exchange or vegtherm after valve. Easy and worth it.
Bflood
Old 05-26-2007, 02:48 PM

I'm of the opinion that until some outfit does the some kind of longterm use & engine tear downs , like have been done with the bio-diesel [ transesterfication process { remove the gliserin , PH balance , remove water , salts ect.} ] .
That the none processed used oil is a short term , damaging [ gliserin cokes , the other stuff not taken out you can imagine what they do ] .
There's been a lot of , I have used waste vegi oil , unprocessed , for a 6 mth. to a yr. no problem , thats not long term , I buy buy diesels to go a min. of 300,000 , if not 1,000,000 .
I've got 260,000 on my truck & my oil analysis says that at 11,000 miles I can go longer [ TBN 9.+ ] Rotilla 15/40 .
I had some good links on my old/dead computer that I haven't got on the new one yet , that had the engines sent back to Cummins after running on bio , Cummins said that all the parts were in spec. , better than the same engine , with the same miles run dyno diesel .
My point is to act on facts from testing , not sounds good .
Like fixing our trucks , test & put only the needed parts in .
I'm not wanting to **** anybody off , its just we are using mechanical devices , that operate on spec.s / not theorizing on philosophy-a lot of fugg factor .
Old 05-26-2007, 05:20 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Do not be tempted to switch over to the WVO before it is good and hot. Cold WVO will wipe out a VE pump very quickly. If you are only going a short hop, leave it on diesel.
Old 05-27-2007, 03:58 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm with John. After the reading I've done it seems there's quite a big movement away from WVO after long term use has exposed the damage it causes. Dissolved sugar, salt, MSG, etc present in most all WVO is totally impossible to filter out and can have adverse reactions with the heat and high pressure in the engine. Caramalization comes to mind.
I might be tempted to try it on a VW but not an expensive, built to go 500k Cummins.
With WVO the "plant" to make it usable is in the back of your truck, with bio it's in your garage. Anyone who has made BD from WVO and seen the foul dirty crud that's left over would think twice before putting it in the their engine. I equate it to mixing mud with your #2.
Old 05-27-2007, 07:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did the conversion for veggie, but I havent run it yet. Been running bio in the aux tanks instead. Yeah the glycerin is nasty stuff. Im still not convinced that its bad to run if done properly. Like: 2k on each oil change, de-watered oil filtered down to 5microns and hot oil to the injectors. Also, Id want to use WVO only for highway use since you need good cylinder temps to burn the stuff completely
Seems like the main concerns are polymerization in the heads from crud not being burnt properly and washdown into the crankcase oil.
I think the guys with the awful looking engine failures are missing something important in the process.
Old 05-27-2007, 07:58 PM

I'm really glad to see this post. I've never owned a diesel, but am shopping for a used one now with the intention of running it on bio or WVO once I get it. I will probably not actually buy until December or Jan.

I would be very interested in any information on where to get more info on the process etc. If I'm gonna plunk down 20k+ for a used truck I don't want to kill it just because I'm too cheap to buy real fuel. Environmental concerns are not a big deal to me, just cheap fuel.

How hard is it to get bio diesel? (I live in So Cal) How hard is it to process WVO into usable fuel, and can you go back and forth?

Thanks much for any info guys.

FredlyFX
http://fredlyfx.com
96 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9 gasser. (I'm so ashamed)
Old 05-28-2007, 08:42 AM

Try this .
Like I said earlier , there have been many studies out there , mostly University , or with in one , 2 or 3 yrs. ago I picked up a CD at a alt. / green fair , were Hennipin county / with the UofM , ran trucks for a couple yrs , doing all sorts of tests , during winter also , a lot of great info & leads toother sources ,
Point being that theres more reading than any one person could do , Rudolf Diesel - inventor of [ guess what ] ended up as vegi oil as the fuel [ wanting to find a fuel farmers could make themselfs , so he came up with the diesel eng, ] .

http://www.girlmark.com/
Old 05-29-2007, 02:01 AM

Thanks very much John. That link led me to many others with a wealth of great information.

FredlyFX