ABDTR #5 Alberta Chapter #5 Discussion

Edmonton Guys-Help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 09:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edmonton Guys-Help!

I am sitting on the side of hwy. 21 just south of hwy 14 with my truck & trailer. Left rear wheel on the truck decided to part company with said truck @ 105 km/h-not a fun ride. Anybody around that could at least come out to drag me into the ditch before someone clips me? I have my brother coming with his '03 to haul me home, but it'll be close to noon before he gets here.

Cell is 403-820-1113.

Thanks!
Jason
Old 09-04-2010, 09:52 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
OOOO that soooo bites. Sorry I'm no where near there.
Old 09-04-2010, 10:03 AM

It could have been lots worse-nobody around when it let go which was a good thing as it put the truck sideways into the wrong lane. Plus the tire hung out there for a while. Still haven't found it-may be on the golf course on the west side of the highway. I don't get it-no vibrations or anything out of the ordinary-but all the studs are sheared off flush with the hub itself. Guess I'll go wheel hunting again-it should tell the tale.

People are blind-this trailer has 2 LED oval tallights on each side-plus I have LED strip taillights on a headache rack-even with all that going some just barely squeeze by.
Old 09-04-2010, 10:40 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2wd or 4wd? If its 4wd I've just drop it into 4low and drag itself off.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:09 AM

Unfortunately this was the truck that I was looking for the front driveshaft for. Poor old girl is down to 1 wheel drive now....

But things are looking up. Dr. Evil came & yanked me into the ditch. There is a nice big flat spot here to commence rescue ops. My brother is north of Stettler on his way to retrieve the units. Nobody got hurt-the truck didn't get any body damage-just a black mark on the flare. Things will get better.

Thanks again for the rescue Doc-I owe you one!

Jason
Old 09-04-2010, 12:21 PM

You dont owe me anything Jason - I was happy to help.

That was a pretty bad spot on the highway to have a blow out and this sure could have been a whole lot worse. Thankfully no one was hurt or killed here.

It takes great intestinal fortitude and even more driving skill to shear off all 8 wheel studs
Old 09-04-2010, 12:35 PM
Pickin on the wrong admin...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up for Shane.... Great that you where able to help Jason out...How does this happen with wheels flying off??Mr Holman had the same problem,lost the wheel, all 8 lugs where snapped..
Old 09-04-2010, 12:59 PM

Dr Evil to the rescue,,,, your my hero,,, LOL,, good job Shane!! Im sure glad you are a jump to the pump guy
Old 09-04-2010, 02:17 PM

I still have no idea why they sheared-absolutely no vibration etc.-just boom and done. I had a big load on the trailer yesterday-maybe the tongue weight overstressed them? Will ck the other wheel to see. Never did find the runaway-must be in the golf course-probably in a water hazard....We are S of Camrose now with the wounded warrior up on the deck-the treasure I was headed to get will have to wait for a day or two while I put the 5th rails in my other trk.
Old 09-04-2010, 06:07 PM

I am home again and have a real keyboard to type instead of my stupid Treo-that thing is going to become a paperweight one of these days....

Upon closer inspection, the studs are completely gone from the hub-just 8 bare holes. What gives? I wish I could have found the wheel to see if they genuinely did come out whole. The other side is getting replaced anyways for peace of mind. This had the potential to be a whole lot uglier than it turned out to be.

On the bright side, I'm up to Holmen-scale destruction apparently. That's gotta count for something! I'm going to have a beer or 6 tonight to close out the day-tomorrow I'll start working over the '02 to pull the trailer and make repair plans for the '01.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:35 PM

When you pull your back brakes, you might find the shouldered part of the stud, see if its been cracked for a while or just a sudden fracture. Either way, thats pretty crazy. Was it OEM or aftermarket wheels?
Old 09-04-2010, 08:08 PM

OEM aluminum 17s-with the oilfield beating and the 35s I went through the factory 16s like a fat kid goes through Skittles :-) . Studs are factory original with 450K of the 'patch. We'll see what the teardown & inspection of the other side shows. Still thinking about how bad things could have turned out-if a Civic is in the other lane when this happens, they're probably not around now-if it's a Kenworth..... well, iron can be fixed, right?
Old 09-04-2010, 09:10 PM

wow no doubt.

you know how a trucker feels when he sees a set of his duals passing him. weird phenomenon they accelerate when they come off the truck if its loaded heavy.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:26 PM
The Guru

Jhasen, how often do you check the lug nuts for torque. I've had a few break off in my torque wrench at 125 ft*lbs. I think that its a common failure, if you drive you truck on rough roads. I broke 8 studs off on my rear driver side towing my 5fiver. Those studs/nuts are expensive to replace. My rim was completely toasted. I felt a funny vibration with mine that just got worse, until it failed.

Glad you made it home safe and sound buddy.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:59 AM

To be honest Mike, I never check them in between tire services. They have always been installed with a torque wrench, at least by me, can't say about the dealership or tire monkeys. This one was off probably 2000 km ago when I changed tires-all the lugs torqued up then to 140 with no issues. I never felt anything before they let go-like I said earlier, I wish I had the wheel to explain things a little further. I'm stealing studs off a parts axle I have here today to get a wheel back on it and get it off the trailer, then ordering 16 new studs for the back before it goes back on the road.

Quick Reply: Edmonton Guys-Help!