Cummins Conversions Discuss conversions here. For instance, if you want to put a REAL engine in a FORD, this is where you would talk about it!

What is the law when it comes to swapping cab?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 09:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is the law when it comes to swapping cab?

Hello there,

I just bought a 1999 Dodge V10 4X4 and since the body and paint is in such good condition (paint on my 1997 is shot!), my wife wants to keep the cab but .... What is the law regarding cab swap? If I somehow damaged my 1997 cab and decided I want the 98.5+ cab, is that swap legal?

The plan was to buy any cheap 4X4 with extended cab and long bed ... I was going to keep my 1997 cab, bed, cummins 12v and swap this into a 4X4 frame. Since the frame has no vin number, I'm just swapping frame and it will still be registered as a 1997 Dodge due to the vin on the cab!

I know I can't put the 1997 12v into a a 1999 truck because the engine is older. Also, I don't want to put a 24V into a 1999 truck because in California, 98 and newer diesel require smog!!! I hate dealing with the smog thing with my modified gasoline cars!
Old 09-29-2013, 12:54 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
I don't know the specific Cali law, but your VIN is riveted to the dash pad, I would say if you kept everything 1997, wiring, dash, etc, I don't know how they could tell, much less complain about swapping sheetmetal.

You would still have the older 97 interior, but some of us prefer it to the 98 up stuff.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:25 PM

I don't think a cab swap is legal. I have a friend that is licensed to rebuild vehicles here in AL and he and I have had this discussion before. The frame does have a VIN somewhere, I don't know where though. CA may be very hard on you for swapping a cab. I might be tempted here, because laws and enforcement are much more lax.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:26 PM

I did some poking around the internet and it looks like there is a process to swapping cabs. For Californians, it involves the CHP, paperwork for ownership of the parts (I got the title, you can't get better then that!), an inspection, then a new blue tag. I didn't have time yet but I'm planning to make a stop at the local CHP to get all the facts straight before I proceed.

Here is the thread where I base my comment that the frame as no vin #. I have not torn down a truck before so I don't see for sure. I will know this winter.

No Vin #

"The frame is labeled with the serial number in WHITE grease pen as it comes down the assembly line. After the vehicle has been on the road awhile the grease pen markings will fade. As far as I know the FRAME has NO stampings that relate to the VIN.

In all the years and all the frame off restorations and swaps I have done, I have NEVER found a stamped VIN or other marks on a frame to identify it as belonging to any specific vehicle. VINs are tagged in the dash, some also in firewall and then stickered in various places around the vehicle but they do not always last. "
Old 03-04-2014, 11:48 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cab swap's are simple as long as you keep your Vin number there is nothing they can say . Frames Do have the Same vin stamped into them as body but like I said as long as you swap vin number nobody will know the difference . you don't have to run to the DMV every time you twist a wrench or remove n replace a rivet .I do it all the time on truck's and never have any troubles .