Cummins Conversions Discuss conversions here. For instance, if you want to put a REAL engine in a FORD, this is where you would talk about it!

project heavy hauler

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 04:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nothing new to report yet. I hope to be working on the crew this weekend. I'm planning on cutting out the stock 73 crossmember and putting in a crossmember from a 86 ramcharger. That should be identical to the crossmember used on the 4wd 89-93 cummins trucks. And I plan on pulling the locked up 360 block and scrapping it out this weekend to make a little money back. Something is better than nothing. These are not new pics, but when I installed my ramcharger gas tank back in 04 and raised the gooseneck hitch 3 inches to compensate for the 3 inch body lift.

Old 05-28-2009, 06:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Lookin' good......You got lots of determination......I aint got that much patience. Keep it going and keep the pics coming!
Old 05-31-2009, 09:43 PM

I finally got off my butt and got some work done today. I didn't get the motor and tranny pulled like I wanted, but I did swap out the 70s crossmembes for an 80s style that will hold that cummins up fine.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:53 PM

Old 06-01-2009, 09:36 AM

why are there blocks on the front axle? are those temp or did it come like that.. casue I would get rid of those an dget correct u bolts before you drive that thing
Old 06-01-2009, 02:50 PM

I had to move the truck from my inlaws house where it was stored about 70 miles to my house to I could get back to work on it. All the u bolts I had were too long to use so I just rigged up those with the lift blocks to make it work so I could trailer it and move the truck. I've got a 1985 SRW dodge dana 60 front axle torn down in the garage that will be going back in when the truck is done and yes it will have the correct u bolts on it and no lift blocks up front.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:27 PM

The engines out finally. I pulled the transmission and motor as a complete unit. It took awhile to get the transmission crossmember unbolted. The 36 years of dirt and grease didn't help any.

Old 06-03-2009, 06:29 PM

This should make a fitting home for the 6BT cummins and getrag transmission. Does anybody need a shorty 727 for a small block?

Old 06-27-2009, 05:01 PM

I got to work on the crew today and yesterday. This just started out as a simple fix of a few holes and turned into rebuilding the cowl area. As you can see the windshield wiper pivot was rusted out. On the other side of the cowl area there was a blank one. I simply cut it out, drilled the appropriate holes, lined it up, and welded it in.

Old 06-27-2009, 05:05 PM

It took awhile to weld up because I kept finding more and more rust.

Old 06-27-2009, 05:08 PM

I put some paint and primer on to keep rust from forming. While I had some gaping holes there I wire brushed the area behing it and put some primer and paint in there. Maybe that will help some. With the cowel cover on you can't even tell unless you go looking for it.

Old 06-28-2009, 06:40 PM

I tried to tackle the rest of the roof area today. It's taking longer than I thought it would. I was able to cut the last of the roof rust out, but I ran out of time to put the new patch panel in. I did strip all the rust off the "new" panel and put some primer and paint on it. I'll hit it up again on wednesday and thursday and maybe I can get it real close then.

Old 06-28-2009, 06:43 PM

As you can see I got the patch panel prepped and ready to go in. I'm making a sleeve that goes inside the A pillar so I can adjust the panel to get the fit just right. That's the part that is taking the longest.

Old 07-01-2009, 03:06 PM

And it's on finally! I made both inner sleeves for the A pillars and got the roof section on and lined up. It's just tacked on for right now. I ran out of time so tomorrow morning I'll have to finish it up. I'm so glad I don't see a rusty hole up there right now.

Old 07-02-2009, 01:52 PM

I got a little bit of time today to work on the roof area some more. The front and last piece of the roof that I have to replace, is welded in finally. I started making these subcollars to go under the roof area where it will weld onto to get it something solid to weld onto. I only did the passenger side today, so maybe next time I'm off work I'll do the driver side.

And I got rid of the interior dome light while I was up there. I'm trying to get something a little better looking and a little more up to date than that thing.

Quick Reply: project heavy hauler