Cummins Conversions Discuss conversions here. For instance, if you want to put a REAL engine in a FORD, this is where you would talk about it!

I'm new to the game...

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 06:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by J10Mike
That is a great looking crew cab and will be a great project. On the steering, I used the steering riser block as already suggested. Kept the drag link level and no steering issues what so ever.

On my lift, went with Rough Country, 4 inch. And, it's ROUGH.

I'll be watching this thread.

Attached pic is of my front D60 after rebuild and locker install showing the steering riser block, I believe 2.5 inches.
Thanks. I think you guys just saved me some money. Totally see the riser block and keep link level. If I go 4 inch lift, I need 4 inch block?
Old 04-24-2017, 06:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Azzie
Thanks. I think you guys just saved me some money. Totally see the riser block and keep link level. If I go 4 inch lift, I need 4 inch block?
Not necessarily. I just went into the garage to measure the riser block. It's 2.5 inches and I have a 4 inch lift. If going more than 4 inches, a taller riser block may be in order. For the rear lift, if you can swing it, do a rear spring lift as well. Don't double up on the blocks.
Old 04-24-2017, 07:09 PM
BHD

Received 386 Likes on 256 Posts
Originally Posted by J10Mike
For the rear lift, if you can swing it, do a rear spring lift as well. Don't double up on the blocks.
I agree. Lift kits get a bad reputation because good ones are expensive. Spend the money and get a good system, not a kit.
Old 04-24-2017, 07:58 PM

Received 2,392 Likes on 1,576 Posts
Yes double stacked blocks in the rear is bad.
Get the right rear lift springs when ordering the kit.
Yes just a steering block should be fine for a 4 inch lift.
A 2.5 inch or the 4 inch block should help a lot and be all you need.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by oliver foster
Yes double stacked blocks in the rear is bad.
Get the right rear lift springs when ordering the kit.
Yes just a steering block should be fine for a 4 inch lift.
A 2.5 inch or the 4 inch block should help a lot and be all you need.
Yeah I've found front and rear springs. Not doing blocks. Both front and rear are in need, the fronts are flat as an arrow. Going with new shocks, 4 lift springs front and rear. I guess steering block really probably is determined after lift install?
Old 04-24-2017, 09:36 PM
BHD

Originally Posted by Azzie
Yeah I've found front and rear springs. Not doing blocks. Both front and rear are in need, the fronts are flat as an arrow. Going with new shocks, 4 lift springs front and rear. I guess steering block really probably is determined after lift install?
I don't have a block on my '90 with a 2.5 inch lift, but I do run a dropped pitman arm on my CTD RamCharger with a 4" lift. A couple of miles behind the wheel will let you know what you will need to do. I have a steering stabilizer on all my solid axle stuff, since the Pennsyltucky Dept of Transportation likes to be keep most of the highways full of potholes and 12 inch bridge joints.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by BHD
I don't have a block on my '90 with a 2.5 inch lift, but I do run a dropped pitman arm on my CTD RamCharger with a 4" lift. A couple of miles behind the wheel will let you know what you will need to do. I have a steering stabilizer on all my solid axle stuff, since the Pennsyltucky Dept of Transportation likes to be keep most of the highways full of potholes and 12 inch bridge joints.
Thanks for all the input. I'm pulling the trigger today and will post some pics as I get the project rolling. I'm sure I'll have some questions, so stand by for all hands on deck, I'm sure I'll jack something up first time around! 🙃
Old 04-27-2017, 09:14 PM

Now the wait begins. Skyjacker kit should be here tomorrow and energy suspension cab bushings on the way and I gotta work next weekend. Skyjacker got me jacked up. Want to get started. I'll post some pics along the way and probably a question or two. Speaking of questions. Cab bushings don't come with bolts. Any suggestions beings the stock will seized in for sure...
Old 04-27-2017, 10:28 PM
BHD

The cab bolts in my CrewCab came out with an impact wrench. You may be surprised. I'll be watching this build.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by BHD
The cab bolts in my CrewCab came out with an impact wrench. You may be surprised. I'll be watching this build.
I'm hoping I have some of that luck. Going to soak them down w some gogo juice hoping loosen them up. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for following
Old 04-28-2017, 05:53 AM

Cab bushings usually spin right out, unless it s a real rust buggy. Your crew looks pretty clean, so I would think you should have some luck..
Old 05-02-2017, 08:28 PM

A little help? I'm going to install a 4" lift and I am curious if I can use stock length U-bolts for a Dana 60 beings I'm using springs and not lift blocks. I pieced my kit together for CTD install and forgot to order u-bolts. Always something. Thanks in advance!
Old 05-03-2017, 06:05 AM
BHD

Azzie, I am pretty sure stock length is ok.
Old 05-03-2017, 08:30 AM

BHD is correct.
Stock length U-bolts will be perfect.
Old 05-03-2017, 08:41 AM

Thanks guys for the info. Found out this morning and finding some threads last night that a truck shop local can make me some ubolts. Going to check it out today. Was hoping to get started if we don't float away. Big MO been getting pounded with rain and I will have to do some decent mudding to get it out of barn and into shop, threw my dads yard lol. Thanks again and when I start ripping it apart I'll take some pics

Quick Reply: I'm new to the game...