Cummins Conversions Discuss conversions here. For instance, if you want to put a REAL engine in a FORD, this is where you would talk about it!

Cummins conversion

Old 08-02-2017, 03:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cummins conversion

Just joined the forum hoping for some advice before I begin my conversion of my 1996 Land Rover Defender. Looking to put in a Cummins and auto box. Looking for advice on the best donor truck to buy (year and generation). Would love to go the 6.7 route but fear electronics but equally know little of the electronics in the later 5.9.
Some background... Going to fit it into a non ecu controlled truck. The engine and auto box will need to be self sufficient. Current engine is old direct injection. Constant 4x4 so may fit my transfer box (high/low/difflock) manually operated to rear of auto box unless other thoughts out there. Could use Ram transfer if workable but fear not.
So... Can I take a truck and fit the engine and auto box and get it to run? What's the best donor car for power and reliability. Budget for donor can stretch to $10,000 CAD so some later generations are an option. Would love electronic shift control but appreciate that's an aftermarket addition to head scratch over. Guessing it's gonna need ECU editing as signals will be missing from the donor truck but hoping you lot can advise. Key codes etc for ignition all may be issues I guess depending on the year.
Thoughts on my project...
Old 08-02-2017, 07:33 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Both the size and weight of the cummins 5.9 are going to be a significant obstacle to over come with stuffing that motor into a land rover defender.

You may want to consider a smaller engine with four cylinders instead.

Cummins is now producing a 2.8L four cylinder engine crate engine intended for motor swaps (emissions compliant)
Comes with all the stuff necessary to make the engine run.

https://cumminsengines.com/repower.aspx
Old 08-02-2017, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by westcoaster
Both the size and weight of the cummins 5.9 are going to be a significant obstacle to over come with stuffing that motor into a land rover defender.

You may want to consider a smaller engine with four cylinders instead.

Cummins is now producing a 2.8L four cylinder engine crate engine intended for motor swaps (emissions compliant)
Comes with all the stuff necessary to make the engine run.

https://cumminsengines.com/repower.aspx
The size is not an issue... The 5.9 in its very early form is regularly fitted in the uk. Lots of guys doing it but spending a fortune on converting to 12v, adapter plates and bespoke fly wheels. The only Cummins available is one from a bus! Here we have a better solution.. I hope.
Old 08-03-2017, 04:57 PM
BHD

Received 386 Likes on 256 Posts
In my opinion I would use a Dodge chassis and shorten it to fit your Defender, use the complete Dodge driveline under your sheetmetal.
Old 08-04-2017, 10:28 AM

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,568 Posts
Originally Posted by BHD
In my opinion I would use a Dodge chassis and shorten it to fit your Defender, use the complete Dodge driveline under your sheetmetal.
I like that option...You will end up with a stronger frame, axles ETC.