Cummins Conversions Discuss conversions here. For instance, if you want to put a REAL engine in a FORD, this is where you would talk about it!

1999 F250> 12v Easy Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 08:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 F250> 12v Easy Questions

I've been reading posts on conversions on this forum for well over a year now, and the help is been incredible...Thanks! Anyway, I tore the 5.4 and auto trans out, and have the 12v and manual trans set in, and in the process of hooking everything up. I was wondering what you guys do for throttle cable? I have the one from my gasser, but its really long. Also, I wasnt thinking and I sold the wiring harness from my 5.4, and I'm trying to tie into the factory harness. I was wondering if anyone had and advice for me.
Attached Thumbnails 1999 F250> 12v Easy Questions-dscf0769.jpg   1999 F250> 12v Easy Questions-photo0126.jpg   1999 F250> 12v Easy Questions-photo0209.jpg   1999 F250> 12v Easy Questions-photo0212.jpg  
Old 05-23-2010, 03:22 AM

Hey guys, sorry to be a pest about this...but still wondering if someone could help me with the throttle cable issue? I've looked around and I still cant find any information on it. Thanks again.
Old 05-23-2010, 07:33 AM

I used the Ford cable. I took the end plastic piece off the cable, cut the cable sheathing off to length and put the plastic piece back on. I shoe horned the Ford plastic end to fit the bracket on the Cummins. Then I looped and crimped the cable around the the ball where the Dodge cable was attached . I did what came to my mind at the time often thinking that its probably temporary, but if it aint broke...
Old 05-23-2010, 08:06 AM

A throttle cable out of a 1st gen or second may work, I don't know what type of distance you are working with. As far as wiring , I would get a diagram from a second gen. and adapt....
Old 05-23-2010, 09:16 PM

get a throttle cable from a 2nd gen dodge diesel truck. bolts right in! perfect length too

Give MoSmoke a pm. he knows all about the wiring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks Tim
Old 05-24-2010, 03:05 AM

Thanks guys!...Im gonna call the junkyards around me tomorrow and try to find a Dodge throttle cable, if not, ill have to do some more thinkin on how to shorten my Ford cable.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:20 AM

Re-Clocking the turbo

Also guys-I put a common rail exhaust manifold on my 12v to help clear the turbo from the heater/ac box...now i need to re-clock my turbo to get the oil lines aligned correctly. Ive messed around trying to break it free for a few days now, using Deep Creep, heat (torch), and candle wax and still cant get it to budge-- Im STUMPED! Anyone else dealt with this issue?
Old 05-24-2010, 07:54 PM

by a NEW throttle cable, $15 from Dodge. not sure what you mean by the oil line. If I recall, the oil lijhe goes into the center section of the turbo and that wont change if you clock the turbo. have a feed line made $40-5o from a hydraulic shop

the drain line will have to be made as well. Cummins offers a accordion stylke drain pipe but pricey

where are you Tim?

Last edited by lews930; 05-24-2010 at 07:55 PM. Reason: more info
Old 05-25-2010, 10:20 PM

Location: Lingleville TX but active duty Air Force all over the world currently
Im going to do the same conversion shortly. I have a 99 F250 with auto 4X4 and im going to 12 V P-pump NV4500. Have you been keeping a parts list I could take a look at?

Thanks for any heads up advice....

Zack
Old 05-25-2010, 11:44 PM

just a mental one!...but i got a pretty good idea of what i have bought so far. the conversion isnt done as you can see, so im sure there will be more to add to it. I also had a complete dodge truck to pull parts out of (which i am SURE glad i had!)
Old 05-26-2010, 07:29 PM

octane, where are you located? did you get ahold of Mo Smoke?
you'll have fun with the water hoses and i/c pipes!
do your turbo draain hose FIRST!!!!!
Old 05-27-2010, 12:08 AM

Im in NW Wisconsin, and no I havent gotten ahold of MoSmoke yet, but I do plan to. I have the stock intercooler tubes and fittings, and it looks like they will line up pretty close to the Ford i/c... if not, my buddys shop has a mandrel pipe bender and I have a tig welder if i need to patch something in. As far as rad hoses, I got a top rad hose from an 01 cummins, and just chopped some off and it lined right up. And for the lower, Im just going to patch my ford and dodge ones together and go with it from there. heater core lines were a piece of cake too. I still havent gotten my turbo to move yet to rotate it, but it looks like the top oil line will still work, and my lower one will just need a lil massaging to work, but i think the length is good.

On a good note, I finished up my dual battery tray last night and got it mounted up in the truck, as well as my new alternator bracket (didnt like my quick one i had before)
Old 05-27-2010, 05:40 PM

With regard to your throttle cable question, it sounds like you've got that one sorted out, but when I was swapping a cummins in the chevy I used an old hotrod method of cutting a length of aluminum tubing and greasing the heck out of it then threaded the length of steel cable that I needed through to the throttle pedal and crimped it off there and then ran the other end to the arm of the fuel pump, fabbed up a bracket and attached an old spring to the arm for pedal "feel" and ran her like that, still going good for me, not the prettiest looking setup but pretty isn't what we're after now is it?
Old 06-02-2010, 10:59 PM

Well guys, I figured out the turbo clocking issue (finally!) and I got it rotated to where it needs to be. But now with the common rail manifold putting the turbo closer to the block, im having a problem with the wastegate vacuum canister thingie hitting the block...Im sure there is a way to cut/bend/reweld this to fix the issue, just wondering if you guys ever come across this and had a picture of your solution?
Old 06-03-2010, 08:04 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
what are you doing for the power sterring and fuel line hookup?

Quick Reply: 1999 F250> 12v Easy Questions