Cummins Conversions Discuss conversions here. For instance, if you want to put a REAL engine in a FORD, this is where you would talk about it!

1997 chevy 1 ton 4WD

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 05:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 chevy 1 ton 4WD

I have a 2nd generation 2002 Cummins. I am planning on putting it in a 1997 Chevy 4 WD 1 ton ,it has a 6.5 diesel w/a 5 speed nv4500 standard .has any one got info on the change out .I do have availability to the donor truck, it is a auto trans 4wd.this eng runs a VP44 fuel system on it. Do I need all the computers to run everything or can I run an option on this. I did put a 1995 Cummins in a 1984 one ton Chevy 2 WD.I run this on solenoids to run the fuel solenoid and an exterior regulator for the alt system. Not to hard. Just a lot of work. This one was very much worth it.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:13 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
First, I would probably P-Pump the 24Valve, that would eliminate everything other than an external voltage regulator. Then I would change the input shaft and bearing retainer on the Chevy NV4500 to Dodge, and get the flywheel,clutch and bellhousing from a Cummins ( use the existing engine adapter ) I am pretty sure Destroked is making mounts for the Chevy swap now.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:48 PM

I got on line and checked out Destocked, there site sent me to Auto World. I called and talked with Dawna she told me how to wire up the computer and harness. I did find that they sell the motor mts and also the alt and a/c brackets for the Chevy parts to fit on the Cummins. The tuck has a factory tac and other things and she said if I have any questions just drop her a line. I do thank you very much for sending me in the right direction. The salvage yard is gathering up the Trans parts you said to get.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:40 PM
Administrator

Cool, I didn't know Autoworld was still running. Good folks and they have done a ton of conversions. Glad they told you what you needed for the wiring, I don't deal well with space shuttle injection systems, give me something that can be run with baling wire and duct tape......

Anyway, it might be just as cheap to buy the trans parts other than the bellhousing from a place like South Bend or Valair, they sell everything including flywheels and clutches. My personal preference is SB, but some like Valair. The nice thing is in 1996 Chevy started using the same trans to bellhousing pattern as Dodge, so it makes for a really sweet swap.
Old 06-23-2012, 05:11 PM

Well the dirty deed is completed that POS 6.5 is out and the 5.9 Cummins is going to go in. I have a lot of prep work to make the swap drop in. I am still wating on verairs parts. Will be in between Mon – Thru. I am taking pics will put in later.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:20 PM

I have a question . I swapped out the front input shaft and bearing retainer. the problem is the input shaft is very tight now. I saw that the chevy shaft was machened on the end were the needal bearing is and the shaft I got was not or did not appair to be. in this change over do I remove the needel bearing from trans.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:37 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by austinkopp
I have a question . I swapped out the front input shaft and bearing retainer. the problem is the input shaft is very tight now. I saw that the chevy shaft was machened on the end were the needal bearing is and the shaft I got was not or did not appair to be. in this change over do I remove the needel bearing from trans.
Nope, the needle bearing is definitely required. Better find out what happened, I have attached the sequence from the manual to hopefully help you.

1997 chevy 1 ton 4WD-input-1.jpg
1997 chevy 1 ton 4WD-input-2.jpg
Old 06-27-2012, 05:09 AM

I think after seeing the direction .I did not get the bearing race set all the in it is just flush not inset a bit past the retaining lip.
thank you for your help.I will take out tonight after work.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:30 AM

I got the clutch and pressure plate,they came with the fly wheel ,I inspected not happy with so I will get new ones,question. this truck I am putting the in is a 1ton dully chevy that pulls a 36ft travil trailer wight is 8000lbs is a stock clutch system ok. I am plaining on putting in a power chip, I have a 4inch staight pipes already.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:47 PM
Administrator

I'm not a space shuttle guy, so perhaps a 24 valve guy will chime in, but I do know it is incredibly easy to make power that will kill a stock clutch with very little else done.

I would probably go with a ConOFE at the minimum. If you call Peter at South Bend he won't steer you wrong.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:49 AM

well I have the cummins in place. the trans went well. I am having problems on it starting as I crank it over it does not start and I hear a sucking noise from the intake inlet.I was cranking a bit before this sucking noise started.it never did start,I have a feeling I am pulling air down stream of the fuel pump will ck today as it was dark when I shut down last night.
Old 07-21-2012, 05:38 AM

well i found the problem on the no starting.don't for get to hook up the ground cable on the computer. I have run the eng and it sounds so sweet.So far every thing is coming along nicely gages all work and I have the foot fuel feed working.today is get rid of unwanted wiring under the hood.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:48 PM

Sounds like you're getting it all figured out there, a member on another forum diesel place named extremesounds13 has some helpful insight on getting rid of some of those un-needed underhood wires you can find his post here. http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=340215

Perhaps a wise admin can inform me if it's against the rules to post links to other forums or not?

Keep up the good work and if you've got photos we would love to see what you have going on there.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:12 PM

Talking pics on 1997 chevy 1/2 breed

I am going to put some pics and a small video on what I have done so far. I have not figured out how to post pics and video clips yet.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:21 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by austinkopp
I am going to put some pics and a small video on what I have done so far. I have not figured out how to post pics and video clips yet.
Videos are most easily put on YouTube, Pics go below the posting box and click on manage attachments, it will bring up a box, upload your pics ( try and keep them as small as practical with a compression program such as Xsqueezeme, ) then once they are uploded, the little paperclip at teh top of the posting box will let you insert them.

Quick Reply: 1997 chevy 1 ton 4WD