Cummins Conversions Discuss conversions here. For instance, if you want to put a REAL engine in a FORD, this is where you would talk about it!

1987 chevy 1ton cummins powered!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 09:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jimlj
Here is a simple wiring diagram of how I did my girds. I used the Dodge wiring harness with the fuseable links so I am not sure the proper fuse size for the grids, and I came off a fused circuit in the Ford wiring for my momentary switch. Your switch and relay wiring can be #16 wire, the grids are at least #6 or bigger. What others might call a solonoid, this electrician calls a relay so we might have a terminology difference. You will have to rotate the pic so you can read it.
hmmm,i can't make heads of tails of this....i have no knowledge of how relays or solonoids work.....i will however show this drawing to the guy who thinks he can wire the grids up for me...he is a electrician....hopefully i will learn a thing or two about it....i did manage to figure out the rest of the wiring myself.... thanks man!
Old 02-16-2010, 12:47 AM

here's some more pics, i realized today i'm a lot further away from being finished then i had thought....but i felt a little better after getting yet another part of the truck finished....the first pic is of the final piece of the frame that needed blasted and painted in primer and the second is it all shiny black!

Old 02-28-2010, 04:45 PM

update.....i'm still chugging right along.....i have the front clip on so i can fit up the radiator and intercooler....i have to intercooler mounts done....and the radiator is half way there....i'll post some pics when i get them both finished up....
Old 02-28-2010, 07:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How did you mount the radiator?
Old 03-02-2010, 09:00 AM

i plan on finishing the other mount today and i can post up some pics....basically i cut holes in the bottom of the core support to let the stock first gen radiator (little rubber bumpers) sit down through....then i made bolt on brackets for the top the sit over the top rubber bumpers on the radiator and bolted onto a couple bolt holes the chevy already had, i also had to flatten the bottom portion of the chevy radiator support because it would not let the radiator drop enough to clear the hood, i used a hammer and dolly....with a rosebud....lol then i welded a 1/8'' piece of steel to the bottom side of the core support to make it strong again
Old 03-03-2010, 12:49 AM

here's some pics of the radiator and intercooler mounted in place....and some pics of the mounts i made up...i think its looking almost like it belongs there....tell me what you think....

Old 03-03-2010, 07:03 AM

sure is comin together!! good job!!
Old 03-03-2010, 05:26 PM

thanks cmac!......got the core support and all the brackets i made tore back off and painted today...i also got all my tubing to make my plumbing for the boost....so soon ill be reinstalling the core support and starting on my boost tubes....
Old 03-03-2010, 08:10 PM

the radiator looks a little close in the pic, how much room is there between the fan?
Old 03-04-2010, 08:16 AM

a bunch man....prob at least and inch or inch 1/2, you can see in the pic that i mounted the radaitor and 1-1/2" away from the front of the core support.....this was so the fan would actually in the shroud some...about a half inch of fan blade sticks out of the back of the shroud but that pic hides it very well.....thanks for the comment!
Old 03-04-2010, 11:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'd use electric fans if I were you.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:16 AM

i bounced the idea around but i have tons of room to spare and i love the reliablity of the mechanical fan....i'v had an electric fan left me stranded
Old 03-09-2010, 08:38 PM

well here's what i got done to the truck on my b-day, i got all the intercooler plumbing fabbed up and installed....i also got the radiator installed and plumbed up....stock 1st. gen radiator hoses worked perfectly!...also the stock 1ton chevy front drive shaft bolts right in!!!! what are the odds of that???? the rear one is going to have to be custom made....here is some pics of the intercooler set up....feel free to comment or ask questions!

p.s. sorry about the crappy pics
Old 03-10-2010, 08:04 AM

this truck is really starting to come together! cant wait to see the final product!!
Old 03-10-2010, 10:24 AM

thanks a lot man, i'm trying hard to get it finished...i'm going to finish installing the front clip so i can figure out what i'm going to do for battery boxes i may make custom boxes so i can run a couple huge batteries in this truck....i run a winch on my 5th wheel trailer, and i power it with the trucks batteries

Quick Reply: 1987 chevy 1ton cummins powered!