Competition / Pulls / OffRoad You wanted it, well you got it. The competition and pulling forum. Please have your racing, pulling and other competition posts here. No East Coast vs. West Coast, and no flame wars!

will low rail pressure cause heat??

Old 02-04-2006, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
will low rail pressure cause heat??

the reason i ask is because when i turn my tst(twins) up to anything over 4/4 my temps are super hot. thats with no ez on. if i run the same 4/4 with the ez on 4 my temps stay a little lower. the truck has don m's flux injectors in it. ive heard from some people that with the injectors the twins program on the tst is way to much for the rail and cp3. im considering going back to the standard tst but dont want to be dissapointed with it. could i be draining my rail with this setup i have? if so would that cause higher egts ,smoke and loss of hp? thanks
Old 02-04-2006, 02:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes. Low rail pressure will cause a lot of extra heat, but the TST twins version will run hot anyway.

What turbo(s) are you running?

The TST Twins program on "torque" level 4 is probably what is killing you. The TST box will run cooler with the EZ, but the key is moderation. I would turn the "torque" number on the TST down to about level 2. With the Twins version, anything higher than torque level 2 just smokes more and will bring the fuel on too fast for even twins to keep cool. If heat is your problem, I would start there first. Also, I would turn your EZ box down to about level 2 also. Any higher than that just aids in draining the rail. With Don's flux injectors, I think you will find the TST twins program on about 5/2 or 6/2 with the EZ on level 2 should produce the most HP for you and run the most efficiently (cool)…….if you have a good turbo(s).
Old 02-04-2006, 03:27 PM

akram,
ive never tried the tst on lower settins for torque. however my best runs are made with the tst on 5/7 5/8 with the ez on 4. at those settings the temps are hot though. i called tst and the guy there said that with the injectors the twins is too aggresive and drains the rail. he told me to send it in and they can flash it for a different twins program designed for the injectors.. either that or the standard program. i like the twins program it and would like to stay with it but i think its just over fueling with the injectors. i dont know. my turbos are a hx40/35 hybrib with a 12 housing over an ht3b with a 24 housing. i also have a bddl id like to use with or instead of the ez. you have some good runs with your truck and its almost the same setup as mine. is your tst the standard program? if so do you have trouble spooling the turbos or alot of lag with it?
Old 02-04-2006, 05:24 PM

perhaps it's time to try a modified CP3 pump...
Old 02-04-2006, 05:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm using the standard program and I usually run the BDDL on the Performance program. No pressure box. The BDDL has enough low end power that spool is not an issue for me. My top turbo is a little S300 and spools pretty quick anyway.

I have a friend with an 03 HO who did a dyno run with the TST twins version on 5/2, BDDL Tow program loaded, and about 30hp worth of pressure (EZ on level 1?), Don's flux injectors, Piers 40/3B twins, and put down 640hp/1230tq. In that exact configuration at that power level, his EGTs stay in the 1200*F range. He didn't have the time to try higher settings, but was just interested in seeing what the settings that he uses for daily driving give him. That is a lot of power and cooooooooool EGTs.
Old 02-04-2006, 07:29 PM

holy smokes you aint kiddin man. well i guess ill try that combo before i do anything to the boxes.
Old 02-04-2006, 08:35 PM

relentless diesel has a good write up in the forums about why low rail pressure causes heat. very imformative. they also have the fastest 3rg gen to date on diesel only.with a stock rail and cp3.