Competition / Pulls / OffRoad You wanted it, well you got it. The competition and pulling forum. Please have your racing, pulling and other competition posts here. No East Coast vs. West Coast, and no flame wars!

whats the best clutch

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 09:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kman9090
daily Drive my haisley everyday, I have 15 hooks on it this year. Spent 2 years in a 2.8 truck pushing big horsepower. Never been rebuilt, So in all about 25 hooks and I know Shaun slipped the crap out of it and I have a few times. Dane also has 25 hooks on his Haisley just this year and it's still holding good. Maybe something is wrong with my buddies truck but I am gald I don't have to daily drive it everyday. Customer Service over there is awesome but Haisley has never gave Matt, Dane or anybody else any problems when we have talked to them about these clutches. Just seen to many South Bends burn up in just a few hooks and the 3600 wouldn't be good in my truck i don't think they defiantly haven't lasted in others trucks.

Corey you had a different clutch in your truck at the beginning of the year didn't you? how many hooks did it last before you had to get a different one? Ben's lasted 6 hooks or so and Anthony's was about the same?
Yep your right, it was going bad! I blew the freeze plug in the back of the block and socked the pads, called Peter, and he said he didnt think it was alot to worry about, but it was. Well I took it out Peter looked it over and sent me a new on, no charge, the thing about peter is you cant give him false info, he knows his Edit.
Didnt you also have some problems with you clutch or tranny or somethin grindin gears.............?
Old 07-20-2008, 01:29 PM

Yeah it was one of the bearings inside there got re alighned and wouldn't let the imput shaft engage the clutch all the way. I can't think of what it was off hand but yeah i did have problems the same night both me and my buddies truck both lost all of our gears in one night. I was running a haisley and he was running a South Bend and we were stuck on the side of the road. I'm just trying to give other peoples options on clutches beisdes the one poitn of view everyone is getting. Kenny's Machine also builds some real nice clutches. My Brother runs thier Triple Disc but I would not want to drive that thing on the street. The dual disc's though are very similar to the Haisley clutch.
Old 07-20-2008, 01:41 PM

Ok I know I need a dd. sb or haisley both sound like solid clutches. So who wants to sponser me so I can get one and start kicking so butt here in ny.
Old 07-20-2008, 03:34 PM

I've run the following clutches: (for the record I've sold my Cummins and bought a Duramax so I have no dog in the fight)

1. Centerforce: JUNK lasted less than a month
2. Haisley Street Twin (orgainic disks): The smoothest clutch I've driven but not made to pull the sled.
3. Mitchell Twin Disk: OK clutch, weak centerplate but replaced under warranty. Very heavy pedal with jerky engagement overall.
4. Haisley Street Puller: Very nice clutch, I bought it used with 40+ hooks on it. I pulled with it for over a year and was just rebuilt this year. It's a diaphram style clutch, there are no fingers to adjust. Engagement on mine was very smooth overall. Pedal pressure was very light, not much more than stock. The disks are sintered iron, not ceramic or feramic.
5. Kenny's Machine Triple Disk: Pedal pressure is pretty light for such a serious clutch. It's a weighted clutch, definetely not for everyone on the street. The disks are sintered iron, with VERY smooth engagement (not kidding).

I've not run a Southbend, so I have no review of them. There are plenty of reviews on here for SB, though. I would ask how many hooks each took before rebuild. Good luck with your choice,
andy
Old 07-20-2008, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Kman9090
Yeah it was one of the bearings inside there got re alighned and wouldn't let the imput shaft engage the clutch all the way. I can't think of what it was off hand but yeah i did have problems the same night both me and my buddies truck both lost all of our gears in one night. I was running a haisley and he was running a South Bend and we were stuck on the side of the road. I'm just trying to give other peoples options on clutches beisdes the one poitn of view everyone is getting. Kenny's Machine also builds some real nice clutches. My Brother runs thier Triple Disc but I would not want to drive that thing on the street. The dual disc's though are very similar to the Haisley clutch.
I hear ya, i wasnt trying to put your clutch down, I have never had on. Im just saying that as many of the SB out there that has to tell someone somethin, you know.
This is prob, ment for another thread, but Have you still not got your pump? I know John has been in the hospital, for like a wk.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:49 PM

Oh no I haven't got it I have been calling and calling but I see why he is not answering he said he was done with it but can't get ahold of him to even pay him for it. Maybe there is some way I can work something out so I can send him a check so i can get it back. I would like to have it before owensville but who knows need to get alot of other little things done.

Also Corey you should get in my truck and drive it to see how smooth the haisley's are my buddies 3850 I don't like maybe the 3600's are better. I kinda want to see how the street manners are in my brother's truck with the triple disc
Old 07-21-2008, 10:03 PM

Owensville, huh maybe i should tell ya i have done some more work an i plan on goin, I put 54' on Jason an his Mega Cab friday night
Old 07-26-2008, 12:25 AM

SB DD I put in a 3800 upgraded hydo and input shaft. Just a little more pressure then stock shifts awsome and hooks up even better.. Worth every penny..
Old 07-29-2008, 02:03 PM

How are the DDs(Haisley, or SB) for street driving and maybe a few runs at the drag strip? And for pulling trailers on a regular basis-10k plus lbs? I wanna hit about 600 hp or so and am trying to figure out the best clutch to go with. I don't mind spending the money to do it right the first time. I wouldn't mind being able to hook up to a sled on rare occasion either, but I'll prolly be at the strip more than the pulls. Main thing is I don't want it to be a pain to drive everyday pullin trailers and such, but I want it to hold the power that I want to throw at it. Is this possible, or does it have to be one extreme or the other, no compromises? Sorry, not trying to hijack or anything, just kinda have the same question
Old 07-30-2008, 11:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mcolectd
How are the DDs(Haisley, or SB) for street driving and maybe a few runs at the drag strip? And for pulling trailers on a regular basis-10k plus lbs? I wanna hit about 600 hp or so and am trying to figure out the best clutch to go with. I don't mind spending the money to do it right the first time. I wouldn't mind being able to hook up to a sled on rare occasion either, but I'll prolly be at the strip more than the pulls. Main thing is I don't want it to be a pain to drive everyday pullin trailers and such, but I want it to hold the power that I want to throw at it. Is this possible, or does it have to be one extreme or the other, no compromises? Sorry, not trying to hijack or anything, just kinda have the same question
you should look at the Haisley street drag DD...that what I have..it shift super fast, smooth and it can handle a few pulls...but for what you want the haisley sounds like a great option.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:00 PM

Ok I'll have to check that out. Thanks alot. I talked to woody at SBC this morning and hes recommending their 3250 DD. Sounds about like the Haisley Street drag DD. Do you ever pull with that clutch. Thats my main concern is still bein able to pull, but havn fun with it too
Old 07-30-2008, 12:15 PM

I have the 3250, if I had the extra money Id be running the Haisley, my only complaint w/ the SBC is it shifts slower than I thought it would
Old 07-30-2008, 12:17 PM

Ok thanks a lot. I've pretty much got it narrowed down between the two. I'm kinda leaning toward the haisley, I've just got to come up with the extra coin for it. It sounds like a better clutch for what I need to do
Old 07-30-2008, 12:24 PM

How is Haisley's customer service and such compared to SBCs? Sorry for all the questions, just don't wanna make a mistake and get the wrong clutch
Old 07-31-2008, 11:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mcolectd
How is Haisley's customer service and such compared to SBCs? Sorry for all the questions, just don't wanna make a mistake and get the wrong clutch
from what I have seen they will take care of you...I had a customer force his tranny in at an angle.. he bent up the disk on his new clutch and the clutch would not disengage...they fixed it for free and it as not their fault.
haisley makes a great clutch and they will take care of you if you have problems....

Quick Reply: whats the best clutch