Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   Competition / Pulls / OffRoad (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/competition-pulls-offroad-108/)
-   -   Pulling tips (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/competition-pulls-offroad-108/pulling-tips-68687/)

fearthedeere 05-20-2005 07:27 PM

Pulling tips

I have a stock 5sp gutbag tanny, would it hurt to pull with it What gear should i pull in?. I wont be pulling til i get new tires. Also will a open diff be ok for pulling?

halerazor 05-21-2005 12:57 AM

pull in 3rd low, clutch will not last 100ft, open diffs suck but it'll work. its all about having fun don't expect to go out there and beat the guys with unlimited amounts of money.

joefarmer 05-21-2005 03:40 AM

Ditto. 3rd gear, low range, slip the clutch off the line to get the sled moving and fully engage by the 75' mark (or sooner if you checkbook doesn't like writing out checks to your clutch supplier). It costs money and lots of broken parts. I retired to drag racing only. ;)

brandon.

wannadiesel 05-21-2005 06:09 AM

With the power you have I think the Getrag will be OK. The stock 1st gen clutch is a lot tougher than the 2nd gen clutches, so if you have a factory clutch it'll do better than you might think. They don't like to hold after they get hot, though, so slip it as little as possible. Hopefully the open diff will help protect driveline parts by making you spin out before anything breaks.

fearthedeere 05-21-2005 06:35 AM

Thanx im gonna pull in our local fair its only on run unless you get a full pull ( which i doubt i will) But i could have easly placed last year the trucks werent very good, a duramax dually was the only one to full pull, and the dodge trucks there were weak :rolleyes: hopefully i dont break nothin (knocks on wood) Im just doin it to say ive done it, and maybe after im rollin in the dough after a couple years ill beable to buy a beater and pull it .

FrdRdnk 05-22-2005 03:31 PM

I'm thinkin of doin the same thing, just want to try and beat two of my friends who are going to also. I was thinking run low 2nd to save the clutch, just run up to the gov. and I hope it won't hurt it too bad. Dave you've been in mine what do you think? Oh yea, one of my friends is the same who pulled me with his PS. It's an 8000 pound "stock class". If my truck only weighs 6300 I figure with 1700 extra pounds, it'll either eat the clutch(i hope not) or spin the tires. I doubt? it will run out of power in low 2.

wannadiesel 05-22-2005 05:13 PM

Once the sled digs in you're gonna stop. That's why they say to pull in 3rd low, that will give you a little more wheel speed to get you further down the track before the sled digs in.

2nd low you won't hurt the clutch, but you won't impress anybody. You won't hurt the engine regardless, you still have the stock gov. spring.

If one of you burns the clutch I'll give you my old one, it's still got a lot of life in it. [laugh]

fearthedeere 05-22-2005 06:30 PM

That would be awesome. In fact id buy it right now, I think i can dig up the funds. Hay seasons startin and Im gonna be hauling a lot of it. :)

TxDiesel007 05-22-2005 08:52 PM

If i had another clutch..

in my toolbox.. id go ahead and do it, there aint that many pulls in south texas, and even if there was IM AFRAID TO DO IT.. i cannot afford half the stuff that i want for my truck yet.. but when the day comes that i can, then ill do it... I would suggest, have a backup clutch incase u burn urs out.. I hope ur pull goes well tho... best of luck...

Tx

Kman9090 05-22-2005 09:28 PM

Im going to be doing 3 pulls this year, all with a stock clutch, the first one im going to pull in 2nd low, the next one im going to put her in 3rd low and give er hell, the last one im going to pull in 2nd low with a new southbend after I burn up my stock clutch :D

John Rodriguez 05-23-2005 03:29 AM

Originally posted by TxDiesel007
If i had another clutch..

in my toolbox.. id go ahead and do it, there aint that many pulls in south texas, and even if there was IM AFRAID TO DO IT.. i cannot afford half the stuff that i want for my truck yet.. but when the day comes that i can, then ill do it... I would suggest, have a backup clutch incase u burn urs out.. I hope ur pull goes well tho... best of luck...

Tx

Sounds like someone justifying to themselves why they're too scared to pull against my "wimpy" 3rd gen, which came in 3rd place in the mudraces, and first(and only) in the tug of war after breaking the other truck :D

TxDiesel007 05-23-2005 09:47 AM

John Rodriguez....

First of all Congrats on ur mud run, and ur tug of war victory...

Secondly, not all of us Have money to burn John.. if pullin other ppl seems to float your boat then thats fine with me, If you wanna hear im scared, then take it that way. My truck is a work truck with some beneficiary qualities and some goodies that you dont know of that i have layin around the house... Now it takes me a whole lot longer to save up for a clutch or whatever i need for my truck cause i have other priorities..College, horses, workin, and tryin to make somethin of myself..... But i see it this way, at least i dont have an 800 dollar a month payment to make on a pickup that has been trashed warranty wise in more ways than one.. Needless to say if you wanna talk victory im afraid i have u beat in that catergory. I wish u the best of luck in ur pulls, boggin, or whatever floats your boat in that aspect.. God hope ur rig dont break on you cause it might be this "wimpy" second gen that might be towin u to ur shop if it does..

I mean no harm or dont want u as an enemy but if you wanna hear you win

YOU WIN!! i said it.. do you feel any better now?? I hope so.. U aint lost my respect yet...but if thats where u wanna go.. ur on the right track.... I respect you and your truck, lets try to keep it that way....

Tx

John Rodriguez 05-23-2005 01:53 PM

Hey Rick,
It was banter man. You know as well as I do my tranny is on it's way out, worse now than ever before, and I'm not even at 50% of the tranny fund yet. You still haven't taken me up on my offer to go run over the laredocp4x4 people.

Lary Ellis (Top) 05-23-2005 02:11 PM

This is the type of stuff that kept us from opening a competition forum for so long. People like to toss mud back and forth, and it doesn't always get seen as "joking"

Chill time ;)

j-fox 05-23-2005 07:38 PM

From what I see at the pulls, you may want to rethink the new tires. The guys who pull well, have very used tires. This allows some slip so you don'y break things. The sled will give you down force for increased traction.

Have fun!!!

And yes, the problem with poking fun is its hard to show your emotions and someone else doesn't know your relationship with your ' friend'.