Competition / Pulls / OffRoad You wanted it, well you got it. The competition and pulling forum. Please have your racing, pulling and other competition posts here. No East Coast vs. West Coast, and no flame wars!

Any full mod powerstoke or Dmaxs anytime soon

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 08:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The technology with the Duramax or Powerstroke is not there yet to compete with the big boys.
Will it ever be? I dont know, and don't think so.

I guess that depends on how much power the Duramax block can stand.

Inherintly it is a weaker engine than the Cummins (rods, blocks, rockers, etc.)

Many Cummins OEM parts are part of many Mod engine setups and I think that says alot for the sheer beefyness of the Cummins design.

I guess historically speaking you had a bunch of engineers that designed "BIG" semi-engines that were behind the Cummins B series.

So the B series ended up being like a scaled down "N" or "L" series motor basically an Inline 6 with a long stroke.
Which is totally typical of Cummins and makes for a TOTALLY AWESOME ENGINE!!
By the way Cummins was holder of major market share for like 25 years straight with on-road semi engines.
That was lost in the 80's and recently regained.
Another thing, Cummins 5.9L has been around for 20 years + and has stood the test of time and everything else.

The Isuzu engine was designed by a bunch of engineers that were used to building small diesel's for foreign country consumption so you don't get the large beefy engine trickle down effect that you get with the Cummins American Diesel Engine History!

Most tractor pullers, semi-trucks have inline 6 engines.
There are some exceptions with the pullers that use old Cat V8's but once again it goes back to a strong old school beefy diesel platform.

Rant off....
Old 12-23-2005, 08:51 AM

I think that there hasn't been that one person that has the money and the desire to make this kind of power yet. I imagine that the other enginges will come around sometime, but the cummins has been around a long time. Also, you can't make the same amount of power from a V8 as you can with an I6 that are compareable in size. But I think that biggest thing is money. But many of the truck and tractor pullers us there rigs a tax write offs. Sure they like doing it, but it all about the bottom line. Like the tractor "Ryan's Toy" & "Ryan's Toy II" are owned by the same farm and they have like 5 of them. They are just toys to them. Its all about the Benjamins.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:56 AM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 7.3 should begin a slow transformation over the coming months toward higher HP. They have most of the inherent weaknesses worked out now. Good connecting rods, better pistons than stock, and the oil issues are I believe now worked out well enough that we can proceed toward a better injector. I have not inked a deal yet so I might be premature, but negotiations are underway to build some 7.3's to haul the mail.

Dont let anyone kid you, the 7.3 is nearly 450 cubic inches, is a V-8 so you get two additional inputs to the crankshaft for the same crankspeed and we now have the ability to tune the pulse width, the RPM and the timing wherever we want it. Dynamically with changing conditions. That is more cubes and more flex when coupled to a real fuel system than the others.

The first few years were slow to improve for the 7.3. Things can move forward now at a much faster pace.

Don~
Old 12-23-2005, 10:01 AM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The block may be the problem with the 7.3. With the size of the stroke, bore and crank throws, you don't have alot of meat left for main bearings. I think if the cylinder pressures are going to go up, the stress will total the webs.. IMHO.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:36 AM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree! There are still some weakness issues, but they are getting many of them worked out now.
Old 12-31-2005, 07:06 AM
Banned

Brian Bunting has a truck named Black Widow that is a dedicated puller now. The truck is a 2001 Ford PSD dually , they got it together after indy last year, he is doing pretty good and placing pretty good against the competition.He is a member at TDS and has posted many videos and his placings at sheids extrav, and in cali at sheids deal there. I think he dynoed 659 on no 2 only before the truck was completely tuned.I know from reading stuff people have posted he should be better this year. Brians screen name is BBunting if you want to search it and take a look. I am not really a huge fan of the PSD anymore but this guy and his sponsors have broken new ground and done some amazing things with that little black truck.

Steve
Old 12-31-2005, 08:13 AM

Thats a street class truck.
Old 12-31-2005, 09:13 PM

ya but 659 on #2 with a 2.8" inducer (so he can be in street class) is pretty impressive also i think tq was in the 1400's.

luke
Old 12-31-2005, 09:44 PM
Banned

Sorry i didn't notice what class you guys were talking about.

Steve
Old 01-01-2006, 07:01 AM

No doubt that an impressive truck...
But the Dodges in the DHRA street put it on him at every pull.

The psd guys need some more time I guess.
Old 01-01-2006, 01:17 PM

i dont know much about the mod class, but in the street stock classes, im pretty sure a couple of duramaxes where in the top 10 now dont quote me on that. I think its only a matter of time and money before they start givein cummins heavier compentition in the mod class. thats my 2 cents anyways
Old 01-01-2006, 02:43 PM

we just seen another rod threw a cummins block on nos over the summer, so i would beg to differ poUrin diesel
Old 01-01-2006, 04:15 PM

Fred,
Beg to differ with what?
Any engine if you dump enough chemicals and so forth like NOS into it will eventually detonate and throw something.

NOS JUNKIE!!
Old 01-01-2006, 08:14 PM

so how many duramax rods have you heard about going bad with number 2 then, i bet not a one

Originally Posted by PourinDiesel
Fred,
Beg to differ with what?
Any engine if you dump enough chemicals and so forth like NOS into it will eventually detonate and throw something.

NOS JUNKIE!!
Old 01-01-2006, 08:27 PM

How many modded Duramaxes actually run just #2???

Quick Reply: Any full mod powerstoke or Dmaxs anytime soon