Competition / Pulls / OffRoad You wanted it, well you got it. The competition and pulling forum. Please have your racing, pulling and other competition posts here. No East Coast vs. West Coast, and no flame wars!

98 12V=1 04.5 Duramax= BROKE

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 12:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 98 12V=1 04.5 Duramax= BROKE

Before I get into this:
I do not recommend doing what happened in the below listed event.
Also, please do not post saying how stupid I was to do this..

Now read on

Well I got a little crazy Thursday night... bunch of guys met up in town. Guy came up from Illinois to go to Marathon county fair to see some singers perform.

Anyways hes got an 04.5 Duramax with 35" tires, 6" lift, and a Juice/Attitude stacked with a Predator. Hes a pretty cool guy he was digging in the back of his truck and I see a huge [EDIT]tow strap in the back.. Its gotta be 12" wide..
So I say, you wanna hook up.. I mean the guy isn't an [EDIT] or anything, I just figured it might be fun.. Didn't think I'd have a chance at all.

So we all take off to a secluded area (had a convoy of about 12 vehicles out there!!)
Basically an older backroad that had some compacted pea-gravel on blacktop.

We hook up, and just try it in 2WD high. I we both started spinning but I started grabbing, and yanked him backwards... I open the door and my cab just FILLS with tire smoke.. So I won

Then, we try 4LO.. He starts giving it throttle, and budges ahead a bit.. then I get on it a bit and all of a sudden SNAP... so I throw it in neutral, release the tension and then go see what broke.
There were pieces under the Dmax.. took a look and it was the CV shaft.. snapped off from the differential.. He got home alright and the next day I helped him disconnect the shaft from the hub so he could drive back on Saturday night..

I was really suprised I did so well... I figured with his lift he would lift the back of my truck off the ground and then easily pull me.. Guess not

He said he will still be ripping on FORDS.. but now he has respect for Dodges
Old 08-09-2005, 01:14 AM
Banned

maxi pads arent for pullin
Go here.
http://bhaner.com/
scroll down to bully dog days and scrol down to the DMX video and click on the vid.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:16 AM

Originally posted by hotmopr
maxi pads arent for pullin
Go here.
http://bhaner.com/
scroll down to bully dog days and scrol down to the DMX video and click on the vid.
LOL I've seen those tie rods first hand.. The guy I pulled back to back with said he was buying some new ones for $250 each!!!
Old 08-09-2005, 01:20 AM

I got a kick out of the DMAX on this page:
Gray Dmax in the PULL OFF
Old 08-09-2005, 11:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bobcat...

im sure that u pulledhim in 2wd cause u sit lower, and ur bringing his front up and more force towards ur hitch as he is taller than you... either ways.. way to go! wish we had video.. ill check out the other vids once i get home..

Tx
Old 08-09-2005, 03:58 PM

Here is a picture of the carnage:
Old 08-09-2005, 04:13 PM

Re: 98 12V=1 04.5 Duramax= BROKE

Originally posted by Bobcat698
Before I get into this:
I do not recommend doing what happened in the below listed event.
Also, please do not post saying how stupid I was to do this..
I think its pretty cool in a twisted sort of way! These guys are always baggin on us on how much faster/quicker they are.
Old 08-09-2005, 04:17 PM

Re: Re: 98 12V=1 04.5 Duramax= BROKE

Originally posted by Buckshotmckee
I think its pretty cool in a twisted sort of way! These guys are always baggin on us on how much faster/quicker they are.
Exactly

He wanted to drag race me once he disconnected the shaft from the hub the next day.. I declined
Old 08-09-2005, 04:42 PM

Re: Re: 98 12V=1 04.5 Duramax= BROKE

Originally posted by Buckshotmckee
Some of them anyways

There are a few DMX owners who are decent. Not suffering from the big man behind the keyboard syndrome.
Old 08-09-2005, 04:45 PM

Re: Re: Re: 98 12V=1 04.5 Duramax= BROKE

Originally posted by Got Juice?
Some of them anyways

There are a few DMX owners who are decent. Not suffering from the big man behind the keyboard syndrome.
I hear ya! This guy was really decent.. Wasn't pi$$ed about it breaking and made no excuses. He took it like a man
Old 08-09-2005, 06:39 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: 98 12V=1 04.5 Duramax= BROKE

Originally posted by Bobcat698
I hear ya! This guy was really decent.. Wasn't pi$$ed about it breaking and made no excuses. He took it like a man
What really irks me about the "HD" IFS is this.

Lower Control arms are forged aluminum... a good start!
Upper control arms.... stamped welded steel... thumbs DOWN!

Tie Rods are flimsy at best. locating and supporting links not much better.

It could have been designed much stronger IMHO. The blown CVJoint.. those happen, whether it be a U joint in a SFA or this.. you have a link somewhere, but honestly there is a lot to like with the DMX, and yet on some of the more crucial areas IMHO it was shortcut time.

I would rather have no blondestar and a stronger IFS or SFA than this. How about a G-80 that isn't made out of glass while we are at it (yes mine is toast)

But then again, I'm picky that way.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:11 AM

Despite problems with the front end, one thing which really helps the DMs is the 5 speed tranny. Those first 2 gears of the Allison out do any 4 speed auto out of the hole.

I've followed the Diesel Page pulloff since they started it. They do what ever they've got to do to make sure a DM wins. Even some GM guys question their results. You'll never see any Dodges or Fords, with a chance to win, competing there.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:53 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What do the GM pullers use up front?? If you snapped that with just some steady torque, I wonder what a good pounding on the front end would do..

Thats just ugly to break parts like that... I guess you pay to play..

The tow strap pull is a good testimate to traction, which has alot to do with weight... Somehow the CTD wins that war..

We need a DTR Hillclimb competition.. Enough of the Dyno Daisies and the Drags.. Lets see some Highway trailer tuggin up a 8-9% grade for a few miles..

Whatcha think?
Old 08-10-2005, 03:54 PM

Originally posted by Bart Timothy
Despite problems with the front end, one thing which really helps the DMs is the 5 speed tranny. Those first 2 gears of the Allison out do any 4 speed auto out of the hole.

I've followed the Diesel Page pulloff since they started it. They do what ever they've got to do to make sure a DM wins. Even some GM guys question their results. You'll never see any Dodges or Fords, with a chance to win, competing there.
There have been some Dodges at the Pull offs. It is a case of run whatcha brung and hope you brung enough.

I know there are hard charging CTD's out there; BUT nobody has showed up with a big enough cummins cannon to beat the DMX on that day.

I'm sure that someone like Jason Burton or Piers or IdahoCTD would be showing a built max nothing but taillights on the test.... but to date none of them have participated. And it is an event open to everyone so there is no excuses for a dodge not taking top spot.

Bottom line, no argument from me, but you can't compete if your Dodge is on the Porch and not playing!
Old 08-10-2005, 11:34 PM

Originally posted by Got Juice?
Bottom line, no argument from me, but you can't compete if your Dodge is on the Porch and not playing!
Hey Jonathon! My '98.4 resembles that remark!

I've actually wanted to run that event, but it's held in some secret, remote location... I think it's a conspiracy!

I see Rob released pics of the lilly twins. When do the lb7 twins finally see the light of day? Have you hit the dyno since april? Got head studs yet?

brandon.

Quick Reply: 98 12V=1 04.5 Duramax= BROKE