Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   Competition / Pulls / OffRoad (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/competition-pulls-offroad-108/)
-   -   4.0 Ranger vs CTD (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/competition-pulls-offroad-108/4-0-ranger-vs-ctd-163935/)

DevilDogge 08-09-2007 01:28 PM

4.0 Ranger vs CTD

So there's a guy at my work who claims that his buddy's 96 Ranger 4.0 V6 NA sitting on 38's will pull my 04.5 CTD. He says that the Ranger has very very low gears and it can only go upto 50 mph. I have 3.73's in my truck, but that won't even come into play when I put it in 4 low will it? My mods are listed below. Is there any chance at all that this Ranger will pull my CTD?

bnold 08-09-2007 01:30 PM

If it is lifted and his tow point is higher than yours then ya its possible... All about traction and tow points. level tow points then you will probably have him beacuse of you weight...

TexasCTD 08-09-2007 01:31 PM

Ranger? [laugh][laugh] What Ranger?

Your truck will pull that little piece of tin anywhere you want to go. You outweigh it almost twice over.

I doubt you would ever need low 4 either.

But I would definately use the 4 wheel drive.

rustyshakelford 08-09-2007 01:46 PM

add some weight to really put a nail in the coffin. with any luck hell tear up the little bugger and it will make it all the funnier [laugh]

brett

Mike D 08-09-2007 01:58 PM

That's about the funniest thing I've heard. Make sure you get a bunch on his buddies to stand around with video cameras. He won't live it down for a long time. Make sure you have the pull in a big field, so you have plenty of room to drag him around while hanging your head out the window looking back at his truck laughing.

dodgezilla04 08-09-2007 02:30 PM

first, hold your brakes and let him spin away, then rev her up and sidestep the brake(auto) or dump the clutch and tear his hitch off that little tiny thing. be sure to tape it all for us.

Truckman0097 08-09-2007 02:37 PM

Anything is possible, but not probable..... I once pulled and 2002 F350 Powerjoke with my 97 Dakota in my sig... oh but he was in 2wd on slightly wet pavement and I was in 4x4.... hehe

Both of you in 4x4 and you shouldnt have trouble, just dont break traction with him on the brake...

patdaly 08-09-2007 05:50 PM

Man, thats the best " My Furd is bulletproof " line I've heard yet.

I am sure he could pull you if his hitch point is 5 feet higher than yours, other than that, I would love to see his diffs explode........

Just for giggles, where is Scottsburg at? I could probably be persuaded to come and let him have a go at a stock "crappy old Dodge" if your mods scare him...........[coffee][coffee]

DevilDogge 08-09-2007 05:50 PM

So now I find out this guy has Army 2.5 ton truck axles. That should give him quite a bit more weight than a regular Ranger, but it still shouldn't be a problem, right?

CTD03 08-09-2007 05:58 PM

ther is no way the ranger will win even if the hitch point is 5 feet tall

the truck is so darn light

i've done a few tug

one against a 1ton ford 460 i pulled him intill people told me to stop he hasnt ran his mouth since

and i pulled an 02 half ton dodge quad cab

07 half ton silverado

all win

yes little half ton guys wanted to play

and i didnt brag about my hooks just hooked up and let the clutch out easy

the best part is when they think they have you by letting your truck roll back words and then dump the clutch at 2 grand

i must say its a heck of a ride

or better yet put i in low 1 and just put put and they really hate that you arent doing a thing just let the truck work for you

traction is the key

let some air out of your tires

wrangler04 08-09-2007 06:14 PM

Hes got at least 6.13 gear ratio in those rockwells. He aint running a stock t-case, he could be running a atlas 4 speed for all you know. He could have a rediculous crawl ratio in first. Dont go talking a bunch of trash if you cant back it up, but do it to see what his truck has.

Redleg 08-09-2007 06:25 PM

Lucky his wrist pins aren't flappin in the wind just turning those 38's.

DevilDogge 08-09-2007 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by wrangler04 (Post 1640258)
Hes got at least 6.13 gear ratio in those rockwells. He aint running a stock t-case, he could be running a atlas 4 speed for all you know. He could have a rediculous crawl ratio in first. Dont go talking a bunch of trash if you cant back it up, but do it to see what his truck has.

Even if he has a "rediculous crawl ratio in first", his truck is still half the weight of mine, and he's also only putting as much power as that 4.0 V6 can make through it. Would it really matter? Also, does an Atlas 4 speed even bolt up to that engine? I'd guess he's running the stock tranny and being underpowered turning those big axles and big tires.

LOGAN 08-09-2007 09:34 PM

ive got a 4.0 ranger and will soon have 8.5 inches of lift under it with 38's, and its got 180,XXX miles on it, still runs like a champ and will bark 2nd with the 31's, ive beat that thing like a red headed step child, but i wouldnt put it against my CTD, guy sounds like the typical "whitetrash" around here. they got 10 times the horsepower there truck puts out on a good day, their stock 2wd's can go anywhere a built 4x4 on 40's can go..................

Floridacracker 08-09-2007 10:01 PM

I HAVE A BRONCO W/ 2.5 TONS AND 54"S TIRES AND IT STILL ONLY WEIGHTS ABOUT 5,500 TO 6,000LBS WITH MUD ON IT

THE ROCKWELLS ALL HAVE 6.72 GEARS

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/a...cooutatCNR.jpg