CODTR #26 Forum for the Colorado chapter #26

Emission Testing with XZT+ - anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 02:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Emission Testing with XZT+ - anyone?

I know at the emission testing faciliity here in COS, they say to disconnect any boxes prior to bringing the truck in or it will sense it and they cannot test or it will fail.

I have an XZT+ which plugs into two connectors under the hood (forget which ones right now) and am wondering if I can leave it connected without having a problem... OR if the emission testing equipment has to plug into one of those same locations so I HAVE to remove it.

Anyone definitively answer this question? I'd like to see what the #'s are with the module in place, if even just on the "Timing only" setting. And I also don't enjoy going thru the small hassle to remove if I can avoid it.
Old 02-28-2009, 03:17 PM

I live up in Denver and lived in COS a few years back. My truck 05, I did not remove my xzt, i just turned it off and I passed with no issues up here in denver. I do not know how you box is setup regarding if there is a internal switch to adjust hp. Again in my case I did not remove my box only turned the box off. Hope this helps.
Old 03-01-2009, 04:09 PM

Thanks for the info. Mine must be like yours, it has 3 settings including "off". So I assume under the hood, you also plugged it into two locations, right? If so, I may be OK turning it off. I assume if they asked you, you said you did NOT have a box, right?

Thanks again.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:33 PM

I did mention to the service tech that there was a programmer on my truck and also said that it was turned off. He said as long as it was turned off than it would be alright. Are you going to the diesel emissions place off of Nevada? If so those guys are very strict. IMO is they do not ask than and would not say anything. Good luck.
Old 03-07-2009, 10:09 PM

Yes, that place on N Nevada is where I go. They always ask and I have no problem saying "no" if I know they don't need the same port (MAP I believe under the hood) that the XZT is plugged into for their RPM connection or whatever they do. I just don't want the truck to get in there and they need that port so I have to spend twice the $$ to do it again.

Thanks for the response on this... but I'm hoping someone who goes to that shop or knows that shop doesn't need that connection for sure will let us know.
Old 05-30-2009, 09:14 PM

Update to this thread. I tested at Exhaust Readers here in Co Springs this past month and told them about the XZT before bringing it in... stating it had an "off" setting... they said it should be fine. So I left everything as is and brought it in, switched the box to "off" and tested fine.
Old 06-28-2009, 10:47 AM

Emissions exempt???

I'm on the West Slope but bought an in-stock '05 from a dealer in Denver and it had (has) this sticker on it -

I figured the dealer had it put on but I never hear of anyone else living one the Front Range with one .... anybody know what's up with that?
Old 06-29-2009, 10:22 AM

I heard something about 04 and newer trucks only being required to have smog checks every OTHER year, but no personal knowledge as mine is a 2001. Hopefully someone will chime in here with a newer truck.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:34 PM

i have an 04 and test every other year...Live in arapahoe county....
Old 06-25-2010, 08:22 AM

Good to know. I am currently shopping for a chip. So I now know to get something that has an off setting. Thanks!