CADTR #24 Forum for the California chapter #24

California Diesel Smog Checks Alert!!

Old 07-21-2009, 03:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JJPage
Do not move to washington, had it here for several years.

After retirement, I'm gone!
What kind of testing to they do up there? I was born & raised up in that airea & dont remember any type of emishions testing. & was wanting to move back, please fill me in.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:06 PM

Should be interesting.. I may have to put a muffler on my truck then SCREW California, I hate it it here, but sadly, I can't leave.
Scott
Old 08-19-2009, 11:33 PM

I got my CA DMV renewal and no smog inspection required this time.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:10 PM

I just renewed my truck, its now good until June of 2010. I guess we'll see what happens. I guess I just can't comprehend how they could smog diesels... Why start now?
Old 08-20-2009, 09:00 PM

I have been doing these smoke tests on our medium and heavy duty trucks now for about two years. Really easy to get by on the old stuff ( just turn the pump down) These newer rigs are going to be intersting. What is really hurting my company right now is the off road equiment tier standards. We have had to dispose of quite a few good running older machines becouse of it.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:38 PM

UHOH!

I hadn't looked at any of this until recently. I just moved out here to Rosamond a little over a year ago. My truck is a Y2K. Bought it in Virginia while stationed out there. I did all the mods I have while out there as well. I am not worried about the Edge EZ that's a snap to remove. What I am worried about is the "cat" issue. I don't seem to remember there being a "cat" on mine, but there was a resonator..... I think. Also I still have my stocker injectors, but should running the currently installed DD2s be okay? Will the FASS and elimination of the lift pump be an issue? In addition will the flexalite dual fans cause a failed visual? This whole deal is just not fair.

Perhaps the 8800lb sticker in the door will help
Old 01-07-2010, 12:01 AM

As far as I know, 98.5 to 2002 did not have cats.. only the res. My 01 CA model had no cat. I have heard that fuel pumps will be ok but this is all talk. As for the injectors, I do no know. Does it smoke with them and no EZ? Will you throw boost codes without the EZ doing the boost fooling w/ the injectors?
Old 01-07-2010, 10:02 PM

I have never driven it without a programmer/puck and the injectors. It only lightly dusts right now on the mid setting. I may unplug the EZ this weekend and see what happens. As far as the smoke test goes it looks like something that is easily done in the driveway as a starting point at least. We'll see what happens I guess as we all start going through the smog conga line.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:22 PM

right now the only Fuel Pump's that will 100% not cause a failure are the Airdog and Raptor (about 98% sure it was the raptor) they are the only makes that have been issued a C.A.R.B EO number...according to very informed people that I have spoken with "only after market parts that have an EO number will be 100% safe"

of course, BANKS has PAID big money to ensure their products are CARB approved....

most of the smaller manufactureres that specialize in the stuff we REALLY like dont have the budget or the means to prove through MAJOR testing to the state that their products meet these NEW BOGUS rules...

You can view parts that have EO numbers at the Ca. air resourse board website....

link: http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/aftermkt.htm

read the link...go to #2 which is Legal Add-On or Modified Parts (Executive Order Parts) and click the link to the right of that in blue...then search the part...

What you will find is there is VERY VERY VERY VERY little for us diesel people because previous to this there was NO smog...so manufacturers didnt bother submiting there products to the state for EO numbers...

I have a strong feeling UNMOLESTED 2nd gen 24v's will have a strong resurgence in CA..do to the fact that they come built from cummins with vertually NO SMOG EQUIPMENT....(that is for us that want some form of a quad cab)

NCA

PS..we now live in CUBA!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-14-2010, 12:22 AM

sure like to see the actual law, there seems to be a lot of confusion. i just read in a diesel mag that if the GVWR was over 14k it was exempt. that elliminates a lot of 3500 dullies and certainly the 4500 and 5500. if so i'm exempt. can someone actually puplish the correct info?
Old 01-17-2010, 04:11 PM
Chapter President

Exclamation The Storms Coming, One if by land! ....foreign and DOMESTIC...!!!!!

Well even though its on TDR , its good info. What I got is that they will start issuing renewals for Apr/May 2010 with bi-annual smog requirment for 14000 gvw or under. So all you, late year renewals wont see it till fall. I should be getting one for the wifes VW TDI here in a bit I will keep you posted.

Link is chock full of info:

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/f...ml#post2103957

PS: if you havent seen TDR before, were better so dont run out and PAY their fee!!!