CADTR #24 Forum for the California chapter #24

California Diesel Smog Checks Alert!!

Old 03-10-2009, 02:50 PM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry California Diesel Smog Checks Alert!!

Well fellow So-Cal'ers,

The California Bureau of Automiotive Repair has posted the draft guidelines for the upcoming Diesel Smog Check requirements going into effect Jan. 1 2010.

http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_BARResources/05_Legislative/RegulatoryActions/DieselWorkInf.html

It appears that us 97 and older rigs will remain exempt (unless I read it wrong)

All 98' and newer will be required to undergoe a visual check of all emissions control equipment (ie CAT, EGR, DPF, ) including any modifications and or removal of such equipmnet which is ""Illegal""

Also an OBD scan.

And a Smoke check (supposedley they will run the motor up to temp with all acc. off and do a snap throttle test (idle to 2-3k rpm) and visualy gauge the smoke produced against their guidelines.

I did not see anything about dyno runs as part of these checks, I have heard rumors of noise and proper OEM spec tire size checks but nothing definative.

They are apperantly giong to begin notices Jan 1 2010, But I have heard of others getting them already.

I hate this and it will be very bad for those of us with newer modifed smoke blowers!! All hale the peoples republic of Komie-fornia!! I doubt we will ever see these things reversed.

If anyone has any more info please post and inform th rest of us!!!!
Old 03-10-2009, 07:47 PM

First page of the bill says 8501 or less gvwr. But then later it seems to include all the way up to 14k...when they get around to it.

So we may catch a break for a couple years until they get all the bugs worked out.

Good thing I saved my Cat!
Old 03-10-2009, 08:04 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
More coming.

Our smog tech at work says he wouldn't put stock tire requirement and stock exhaust decibel levels past them in the future. Boy o boy!
Old 03-10-2009, 11:37 PM

That when I say f--- Calefornia and move. And that on top of doubling our registration fees.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:04 AM

Thumbs up California

Ditto on the move Wood chuck, if only the real estate market would go up , instead of the down turn! I would be out of here!
Old 03-11-2009, 12:24 AM

With DMV registration and sales taxes going up, fleets being required to install DPFs, don't count on RE values going up anytime soon.

We might be seeing a mass exodus in Calefornia again.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by J.Suplanski
Ditto on the move Wood chuck, if only the real estate market would go up , instead of the down turn! I would be out of here!
Sell low, buy low. Now is the time to leave if you own a home, now is also the time to stay and buy if you don't own. By selling and buying while the market is low and interest rates are low, you'll save thousands in taxes and interest.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:08 PM

Do not move to washington, had it here for several years.

After retirement, I'm gone!
Old 03-12-2009, 07:00 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by JJPage
Do not move to washington, had it here for several years.
I believe you guys do not have a state income tax though. Oregon's probably the cheapest overall out here. We have officially been crowned the highest taxed state in the union.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:39 PM

Going up to 8.75% here on 4-1-09
Old 03-16-2009, 12:57 AM

I'll keep my emissions crap on and do a DPF Back exhaust and an air intake. IF they start inspecting tire size just keep a set of stock rims and tires around and change them out for the inspection I suppose. Cali really sucks sometimes. **** Sierra Club enviros
Old 03-16-2009, 09:16 AM

While doing the KDP this weekend i noticed something that just made my day. The emissions plate on my truck says it conforms to 1997 standards....built november 97
Old 03-16-2009, 09:42 AM

Man, that sounds bad. I love to visit out there. My wife's family lives in Paso Robles & other areas. I have thought about moving out there someday, but no way. When I thought about California, a long time ago, having more freedom always came to mind. Now it looks like less freedom. Too bad. Sorry guys, would hate to have that hanging over my head, but who knows, later it could be here in Carolina. Enjoy Cali while you can, then leave them to become like a third world country in places, and just visit when you can't take it anymore.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:53 PM

There was a diesel inspection checkpoint in Norco last week- they had a stop on 6th street and were pulling every diesel and tossing a probe in the tailpipe. They got my father-in-law and ran his 05 Ram, then told him he was ok in every area except NOx -he was 7 times the limit. They also determined that his exhaust doesn't comply with their opacity limit. His is a bone-stock rig, not a single mod- not even aftermarket floormats. They're not doing enforcement right now, just establishing benchmarks according to the AQMD brownshirt manning the station.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:14 PM

is this going to be a statewide thing or just in the countys that have the bi-annual smog on gas cars already? because my county(Humboldt) only requires smog when you change ownership(on gas vehicles) if this goes into affect there will literally be hundreds upon thousands of trucks that will have to under-go serious changes to return to stock, especially if you have to return your stock parts as cores!!! this stinks, looks like a body swap might be in my trucks future.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: California Diesel Smog Checks Alert!!