Big Rigs Talk about other Cummins powered vehicles here. As a matter of fact, it doesn't even have to be Cummins, but it will be diesel! :)

Why Super Singles?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 11:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by archer39
Our neighboring fire department in our township just purchased a new Tanker and it has the super singles. Last winter after they just got it they slide it off the road while it was raining. They all claim it is very bad in poor weather.
Wouldn't that be a Tender now days???
Old 08-21-2009, 06:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LOLThats the "OTHER" problem... Hydroplaneing...
Old 08-25-2009, 10:45 AM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by Russ Roth
Wouldn't that be a Tender now days???
Yes it would be. But I figure I would use the term that most people that are NOT invloved in the fire service would know
Old 08-25-2009, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by archer39
Yes it would be. But I figure I would use the term that most people that are NOT invloved in the fire service would know
That is probably quite true. I still to this day have a hard time calling them Tenders partly because I will have been away from it for 10 years this Fall.
Old 09-19-2009, 09:55 PM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
I've been watching trucks with the SS tires and so far I have not seen any traction treads on Super Singles. They all look like trailer tires. And I haven't witnessed any on dump trucks yet.
Old 09-20-2009, 02:50 PM

I have a cousin who works for an outfit that focuses on increasing fuel mileage for commercial equipment. He claimed super singles on the tractor are good for about a 4% mileage increase. Add a full set on the trailer also and it increases it to about 8%. He says that's the main reason outfits run them. Don't know, just passing on what he said.
Old 09-20-2009, 04:15 PM
Muted User

Lightweight and fuel mileage is about the only benefits. We've got 2 trucks and 2 trailers with them. They definitely roll easier, you can tell driving and you can also push the truck in the shop by hand which would be really hard with duals. Very expensive though, a Michelin X1 drive tire is just over $900.00.
Old 09-20-2009, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Jfaulkner
Lightweight and fuel mileage is about the only benefits. We've got 2 trucks and 2 trailers with them. They definitely roll easier, you can tell driving and you can also push the truck in the shop by hand which would be really hard with duals. Very expensive though, a Michelin X1 drive tire is just over $900.00.
Good God man.. 900 !
Old 09-21-2009, 07:20 PM

I deal with them pretty often. The worst issue with them is like someone previously stated-with a blowout you are buying a rim as well. They are also a pain in the butt to mount and dismount. I think the irregular wear issues are from underinflation. Psi ratings are for 120. Most other class eight tires are between 100-110. People are just too lazy to keep them inflated or don't know any better.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Riflemanusmc
Good God man.. 900 !
How much are two regular tires that it would replace though
Old 09-22-2009, 12:18 PM

2 regular tires are a little cheaper usually, yet another drawback in my opinion. We sell B'Stone drives (M726EL 34/32's, closed shoulder) for a I think just under 400 if I'm not mistaken (I don't deal with billing, just do the work). On the side of the road, National Accounts pay a bit more for a dismount/mount of a S.S., too, so there's a little extra cost (not that an extra 10 bucks matters when ur already spending 900 on a tire, on top of 100-200 for service call and labor)
Old 09-22-2009, 12:21 PM
Muted User

Originally Posted by PETEDOCTOR
I deal with them pretty often. The worst issue with them is like someone previously stated-with a blowout you are buying a rim as well. They are also a pain in the butt to mount and dismount. I think the irregular wear issues are from underinflation. Psi ratings are for 120. Most other class eight tires are between 100-110. People are just too lazy to keep them inflated or don't know any better.
I actually find them pretty easy to mount other than picking them up. Inflation is the main key, one trailer we have them on has the air though the axles. Definitely worth it with these tires. We've only had one blowout and it never even scratched the rim. Tire completely exploded (I was impressed) I think it all depends on who's driving, a company driver would tend to try and drive farther than someone who actually has to pay for the damage. Dismounting one that's in 2 pieces is a pain.
Originally Posted by Purplezr2
How much are two regular tires that it would replace though
Top of the line Michelin or BF Goodrich drives are about $300- $330 each for duals, trailer tread are less (~$250 and up) and the X1 trailer tread are between $7-800. Basically SS are more expensive no matter how you look at it. You can cap them now so that's a plus, used to not be able to so you had to trash a good casing.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:38 PM

Used on a lot of farm trailers around here. Flotation ( soil compaction) is one reason. The other is mud. Anything with duals must have cleaner bar which are a pain if they jamb & get bent. Also, very often you still have to get out and dig the mud out from the duals. Also why Case IH Quad Tracks are very popular.
"Slippery mud on road" season starts next week.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:19 PM
Muted User

Originally Posted by Fueling around
Used on a lot of farm trailers around here. Flotation ( soil compaction) is one reason. The other is mud. Anything with duals must have cleaner bar which are a pain if they jamb & get bent. Also, very often you still have to get out and dig the mud out from the duals. Also why Case IH Quad Tracks are very popular.
"Slippery mud on road" season starts next week.
Off topic but I love the farmers worried about "soil compaction". Don't want you to drive a pickup in their field but will pull a 1500bu grain cart on 2 tires weighing about 90k lbs and think nothing about it, leaving ruts about 8" deep.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Jfaulkner
I actually find them pretty easy to mount other than picking them up. Inflation is the main key, one trailer we have them on has the air though the axles. Definitely worth it with these tires. We've only had one blowout and it never even scratched the rim. Tire completely exploded (I was impressed) I think it all depends on who's driving, a company driver would tend to try and drive farther than someone who actually has to pay for the damage. Dismounting one that's in 2 pieces is a pain.
Top of the line Michelin or BF Goodrich drives are about $300- $330 each for duals, trailer tread are less (~$250 and up) and the X1 trailer tread are between $7-800. Basically SS are more expensive no matter how you look at it. You can cap them now so that's a plus, used to not be able to so you had to trash a good casing.

Ever tried peeling one w/o dismounting from the truck? I do regular tires all the time w/o even jacking the wheel up. But never tried a s.s. a guy I work with claims that's how he does em...but I've yet to see it. I hate doin the ones where there is no rubber left, just cords, and the rubber is wrapped around the hub/drum/axle. A single tire is bad enough to pry/cut loose, but when there's a gator 2x as big wrapped in there, its awful.

We just got a call from our other store saying they had farmers who are looking for old worn out singles to put on their grain carts...better than scrapping em since the company we carry em for only will cap once.

Quick Reply: Why Super Singles?