Big Rigs Talk about other Cummins powered vehicles here. As a matter of fact, it doesn't even have to be Cummins, but it will be diesel! :)

What is a clutch brake on a 13speed RR

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 08:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having it at the bottom of the clutch travel is not the best of engineering either. I've had to replace 2 or 3 due to drivers running up to a red light and stompin the clutch down on the floor and stopping. It eats the little disc up quick and they can't understand why it grinds when you put it in gear after a few panic stops.
Old 11-27-2009, 01:27 AM

hi this buck, the clutch brake on the little 6 hundred and 66 roadrangers are pistins that push brass pistons on gearside just inside pto plates on riders side of the trannies to stop gear/clutch rotations at stop only and used to help put trans in gear for low/ reverse only when at dead stop,, they are newer than pedal actuated clutch brake, both styles should be used only to get trans in gear,, buck
Old 12-05-2009, 01:58 AM
DTR's Toad Wrangler

Originally Posted by Russ Roth
I know companies that will fire you if they catch you doing that.
Ya I know, but to use the clutch brake to shift is far more damaging.
I have used the Jake to shift only when necessary, like in the low gears in mud trying to bring up the speed.
And yes Jacobs says do not use the jake to shift, but if you are in a spot (like the mud) I am using it to get out of there and get to the home on the couch.
Old 12-05-2009, 04:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Many of the 600 series use a push clutch which can't have a normal clutch brake. Only a pull clutch uses a disk clutch brake. Using either to shift while moving is ignorance.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Haulin_in_Dixie
Many of the 600 series use a push clutch which can't have a normal clutch brake. Only a pull clutch uses a disk clutch brake. Using either to shift while moving is ignorance.
Well, I can't really speak to how bad it is to shift occasionally that way as I don't pull clutches apart on big rigs. I can say that I have done it on occasion for years, and so has my brother and a lot of other good drivers I know. AFAIK there has not been a problem. My brother drives an '01 (I think) Mack that was pulled down recently. They did the trans/clutch/engine @ 858,000 miles. Said it needed nothing and looked like it could have gone that many more miles on everything.

I was taught about using the clutch brake for quicker shifting in tough situations by a couple real old time drivers that were both among the best I have ever known. Plus these rigs did not have jakes on them. In fact, one was a log truck that had originally had water on the brakes. I was cautioned not to do it on a regular basis and don't.

I guess I would disagree with your statement of it being ignorance as I do know that (1) it was not originally made for that and (2) it does wear it faster but in my experience (and others) it has not been a problem.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:11 AM

Jake shifting also works great for shifting the low side when your starting out on a hill, you know drop the rpms fast enuff to get the next one with out losing ground speed!

Originally Posted by Clayten
Ya I know, but to use the clutch brake to shift is far more damaging.
I have used the Jake to shift only when necessary, like in the low gears in mud trying to bring up the speed.
And yes Jacobs says do not use the jake to shift, but if you are in a spot (like the mud) I am using it to get out of there and get to the home on the couch.