Big Rigs Talk about other Cummins powered vehicles here. As a matter of fact, it doesn't even have to be Cummins, but it will be diesel! :)

Shifting a 13 speed eaton roadranger

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 07:06 AM

Location: Dayton, NJ (temporarily while In USCG on Staten Island)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shifting a 13 speed eaton roadranger

morning all. I know I posted this a while back in the reg truck questions, but now DTR has this area I figured I'd reask the question. I posted a Pic of my 1972 Brockway in the just to have one section which includes a pic of the shiftlever I have. When shifting this trans, when is the proper time to slide the splicer button on the side. the truck is a 13 speed. so I assume after the standard 4 then while going to what would be 5 you slide lever before getting to 5 then same for 8th to 9th? I think I have it, I just need to have someone show me a few times to ensure I don't really screw it up.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if it was like my western star you should have a hig gear for 5 thru 8 with the low never being used unless your starting off so it would be 1 thru 4 then 5 5high and then 6 and 6 high and so on empty i could run the high gears and not use the low. would have to see a pic to know for sure. hadnt had time to check on your tags will try mon or tues
Old 05-17-2009, 01:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rich
if it was like my western star you should have a high gear for 5 thru 8 with the low never being used unless your starting off so it would be 1 thru 4 then 5 5high and then 6 and 6 high and so on empty i could run the high gears and not use the low. would have to see a pic to know for sure. hadn't had time to check on your tags will try mon or tues

Sounds about right although anything I remember driving I would always start in low range. Never liked that shifter style myself and been years since I have even seen one.
Old 05-17-2009, 01:51 PM

The Internationals at my work have 13 speeds. Ive always run through the gears normal, low 1-4, high 5-8, then hit the splitter in 8th and it goes to what would be a 13th gear, if that makes sense. They have a L that Ive rarely used. I cant find your pic, but Im assuming we're talking the same thing here...

Look something like this, with high gears in bold:

R 1/5 3/7

L 2/6 4/8
Old 05-17-2009, 03:14 PM

The kenworth I drive at work has a road ranger 13spd in it. Once your up in high range you can use the splitter in all four gears. All you do is accelerate normal through fifth, flip the splitter switch on the side of the shifter before you are ready to shift, once you are ready to split the gear ease off the throttle let the rpm drop about 250 or so instead of the 500 or so it normally drops then reapply the power. You don't move the shifter when you are doing this. When you shift out of 5 over into 6th you put the splitter switch back into it original position. If you wanna have some fun when you're runnin bobtail, you can start out in high range in your low gear ( the gear to the left of second and back when you are in low range), split it out, and then shift to 5th. You'll keep pace with the cars leaving the stop lights and maybe out run some of them.
Old 05-17-2009, 06:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
were all talking about the same tranny then, last one i drove that had more then 9 was a 04 379X exthood with an 18 spd bull wagon had a 3:36 rears with a twin turbo cat @ 600hp. went vacross NM and AZ in triple digits loaded. that was one fine truck
Old 05-18-2009, 07:13 AM

just do not preselect the gear long before ya let off the go pedal , do it right before. I've had the rear housings off em more times than i care to think about because of drivers pulling that trick. the 13 speed you can only split the top the 18 speed you can split the bottom end also.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:20 PM
js

Do not use Low Gear in High range as gear is just a dummy brass gear. It pulls like a demon in this gear but it won't last long. Had a driver do this and rebuilt tranny. Mechanic showed me the gear.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:54 PM

Thanks for the info JS and johnber. That's the stuff that nobody tells a driver until it's too late.
Old 05-22-2009, 08:43 PM

x2 or 3 don't pre-select until your ready to shift. It won't be long before the back box is calling for help. I have 13s in some of my trucks and we just split 12th and 13th because my old mechanical engines are set up pretty hot and have no need to split anything but the top 2 gears. If you get your old engine real hot with ALOT of power and really wanna go fast turn around 9 and 10 in the main box and make it up against the dash double overdrive with 3:55s. Then 10th and 11th will get you where you need to go then 12th and 13th will get ya a fist full of tickets. Hmmm glad the good ole days are gone and still have my cdls lol.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:22 PM

The 07 379's I drive back and forth for sv/pm'ing I always just use the splitter for the last gear also, basically like an overdrive. I never pull anything loaded, though. Does it hurt anything to flip it in gear and let off the pedal till it shifts? Or is it better to pull it out of gear, flip the switch then drop it back in?
Old 05-23-2009, 12:24 AM

you don't move the stick to split.
Old 05-23-2009, 06:26 PM

[/QUOTE]If you wanna have some fun when you're runnin bobtail, you can start out in high range in your low gear ( the gear to the left of second and back when you are in low range), split it out, and then shift to 5th. You'll keep pace with the cars leaving the stop lights and maybe out run some of them.[/QUOTE]

Isnt that called the no-no gear? And yea that is pretty fun. I find if you keep right up to the car at one light they sit and wait for you to leave at the next one. people behind too tend to hang back once they see me rage off like that. Ahh good times on the bosses dime.
Old 05-23-2009, 07:39 PM
js

being one of the bosses can I borrow your pickup for three days. I'll give it back looking just as it is but not tell what I did. you pay down the road
Old 05-24-2009, 10:09 PM

js i hear ya. There is no telling how much money i've spent on a drivers good time on my dime "or thousands of dollars". Don't get me wrong i've outrun cars at the redlights bobtailing in a few trucks "but they belonged to me--not me and a banker or finance company". But when they broke it came outta my pocket and I had no gripe.

Quick Reply: Shifting a 13 speed eaton roadranger