Big Rigs Talk about other Cummins powered vehicles here. As a matter of fact, it doesn't even have to be Cummins, but it will be diesel! :)

2000 FL 70 My starter will not disengage

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 08:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 FL 70 My starter will not disengage

My old truck sit still for about 2 months. I went to start it and it started but the starter was stuck engaged. I was told low batteries could have caused it to draw too many amps and fried the starter or solenoid or something. I also was told that a loose or bad ground could be the culprit. I disconnected the batteries and charged them , and cleaned all the grounds I could find. Tried it again tonight and it wouldn't fire but the starter once again was stuck turning over. I was prepared for this...and immediately pulled the hot cable from the battery. I want to also add as a after thought. When I was connecting the battery cables to the battery tonight I connected the ground first, and noticed a small spark when the cable touched the ground on the battery. I didn't think it should do that at all. Should I just pull the starter and replace it? what do you guys think? This is a 24 valve Cummins 5.9 .
Old 09-17-2018, 10:45 AM

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts
Sounds like the starter solenoid contacts. Outside of a busted knuckle or two taking the starter out the part is less than $10. Though it may be worth doing more rebuilding of the starter since it is out. Try looking here for info and parts
Dodge Starter Parts - Dodge Cummins Diesel LarryB's
At least a place to start no pun intended
The following users liked this post:
Will Willard (09-17-2018)
Old 09-17-2018, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by BarryG
Sounds like the starter solenoid contacts. Outside of a busted knuckle or two taking the starter out the part is less than $10. Though it may be worth doing more rebuilding of the starter since it is out. Try looking here for info and parts
Dodge Starter Parts - Dodge Cummins Diesel LarryB's
At least a place to start no pun intended
Hey thanks man, I appreciate it.
Old 09-17-2018, 10:27 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Need a little more info. Do you mean the starter remained energized after you released the key? Or the starter pinion did not withdraw from the ring gear after the starter quit?
Old 09-17-2018, 11:07 PM

[QUOTE=Rare1;3353192]Need a little more info. Do you mean the starter remained energized after you released the key? Or the starter pinion did not withdraw from the ring gear after the starter quit?[/QUOTE/

The first time it started and the starter kept turning over and the engine died, but the started continued to turn the engine over. Thank goodness the batteries were low. But I fully charged the batteries and tried it again, ( made sure I had the proper tools ready to pull the hot wire off the battery if the starter stuck again) So this second time it began turning over and did not start at all but it was whirling the engine over. I released the key and it was still turning over...so I jumped out and disconnected the hot from battery.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:23 AM

Thank you. I will agree with BarryG. The starter solenoid plunger is not retracting. Either the contacts are welding or the plunger is sticking or the retraction spring is weak. A new solenoid is the solution.
We used to hit a sticking solenoid with a hammer to jar it loose and stop the starter motor. You could try that, but it could stick again. Then we would disassemble the solenoid, clean and lube the plunger. Old Chevys were easy to work on, and we had no money.
The following users liked this post:
Will Willard (09-19-2018)
Old 09-19-2018, 08:19 PM

So what would keep the engine from firing now? The second time I tried to start it, the engine did not even attempt to start...it just whirled over and the starter stuck again. But it didn't even began to start up and run like it did the first time.
Old 09-20-2018, 12:22 PM

I doubt if you have a starting problem. Fix the solenoid first.