Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   Big Rigs (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/big-rigs-169/)
-   -   DT466E ECM Problems (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/big-rigs-169/dt466e-ecm-problems-269344/)

Stamey 05-04-2010 08:37 PM

DT466E ECM Problems

My dad has a 1997 IH 4900 with a DT466E in it. He just rebuilt it due to a blow-by issue, I believe. Once it was reassembled he had a miss in it. A tech checked the computer and found it had a bad injector. After replacing the injector the computer still insisted that the injector was the problem. He sent it out to Auto Computer Exchange and they screwed it up so bad the truck will not run at all now. It has been back to them twice now, and they insist the computer is fine. The tech thinks they may have flashed it for a T444 engine.

What I am now trying to figure out is, is there another company that can reflash this ECM and make it right? Does anyone have any experience with another company that they would recommend?

Thanks,
Chris

Mike D 05-05-2010 12:44 AM

Have you tried to call Pittsburgh Power?

Hvytrkmech 05-05-2010 06:20 AM

You may be trapped going to International. Once these ecm's are corrupt most will need a complete rewrite. All you need is the engine# or last 8 of the vin and they can do it for you. You should also know that this is 'not" done in house. They have to send it out for this, dependent on the engine he can have it written for up to 15 more hp. As stated above Pittsburgh power may be able to help also, worth a phone call.

Good luck.

Just to clarify, They do not send out your actual ecm. They have a factory rewrite done and emailed to them then the dealer will flash the ecm.

Stamey 05-05-2010 07:21 AM

I have surfed the Pittsburgh Power web site and find no mention of IH engines anywhere. Looks like they don't like them as much as us here at DTR. :)

Chris

bigscout2b 05-19-2010 07:40 PM

Best thing you can do is tow truck to a International delership and have the ECM reflashed they souldn't charge but about 50$ it takes less than 15 minutes once the truck is in the shop. Also if they are saying it had a bad injector because of a fault code it is most likey the under valve cover injector harness, it should have been replaced as a standard part of a overhaul.

RobMR3 05-19-2010 07:46 PM

I am an International Tech. Take it to the local dealer. If the aftermarket company screwed it up, the dealer should be able to tell you. However, they'll want the ECM installed onto the unit. If it is messed up, expect it to be down for a minimum of two days. Getting current ECM data for Legend VIN's can take International Technician Services up to 24 hours.

Stamey 05-19-2010 08:21 PM

At this point the aftermarket has sent another ECM and it still doesn't work. Dad has been told by the dealer that it will be 100.00 for them to swap in a known good ECM to see if that's the problem. Apparently they keep the ECMs on the shelf there for testing. That and a 150.00 tow bill, one way, is another bunch of money he's gonna have in this thing, and then he may have to have it towed back.....
Of course, if it were me, I would have done this a long time ago, since the truck can't make any money like it is.
Rob, are you saying that the dealer can just reflash the ECM themselves? Dad talked like they would want to put a new ECM in there, for a huge amount of money.

Thanks,
Chris

nevrenufhp 05-20-2010 08:50 PM

You can also surf for a used ECM. Quite a few truck wrecking yards have an online inventory. A used ECM does go for several hundred.
There's only a couple places in the country that will burn a new program(higher hp and to run modded injectors) into your ECM, but they need it to be working correctly in the first place.

RobMR3 05-20-2010 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Stamey (Post 2769520)
At this point the aftermarket has sent another ECM and it still doesn't work. Dad has been told by the dealer that it will be 100.00 for them to swap in a known good ECM to see if that's the problem. Apparently they keep the ECMs on the shelf there for testing. That and a 150.00 tow bill, one way, is another bunch of money he's gonna have in this thing, and then he may have to have it towed back.....
Of course, if it were me, I would have done this a long time ago, since the truck can't make any money like it is.
Rob, are you saying that the dealer can just reflash the ECM themselves? Dad talked like they would want to put a new ECM in there, for a huge amount of money.

Thanks,
Chris

Most dealer have known good ECM's for the last 15-20 years of engines. That being said, Navistar stopped producing/stocking ECM's for the Legend Chassis. If it is a failed ECM, they may have to send yours out, get it "rebuilt" and reinstall it. If your dad's truck is a 3-Box or even has a "Body Controller" and the ECM you have or have installed doesn't have the correct VIN, it might not work. If it's not programmed for the right HP, it won't run right. If it's programmed for the wrong engine, it won't run. However, they might be able to double check all parameters against the Chassis VIN. It all depends on the skill level of the Diagnostic/Electrical Technician and their familiarity with Navistar Support for the Legend Vehicles.

Stamey 05-21-2010 05:14 AM

nevrenufhp, I have looked online for a used ECM, matching the numbers, but I have not found much. Dad called the local truck parts place and was told that they didn't pull the computers, and they knew no one who did. They all just crushed the trucks with the computers in them. His ECM number is: 1807313c2

RobMR3, I am not sure how many boxes this truck has. I think Dad told me once, but I have forgotten. He has been sending the box and supplying the numbers to the aftermarket people, Auto Computer Exchange, and they have not sent anything back that works.
I think the truck is at IH now, being diagnosed.

Thanks,
Chris

nevrenufhp 05-22-2010 09:57 AM

How about a core engine for $1500, and pull the ECM and injectors to have a matching set? Then sell off the engine parts you dont use. Just an idea.
A different hp rated ECM may not work with the injectors your engine already has.

Stamey 06-18-2010 02:06 PM

OK, last update I received is: Truck was towed to dealer. Dealer says the ECM that's in it is the wrong ECM, per the VIN. Dealer is going to get new ECM "built" and shipped in. It is unclear why the dealer cannot just program the ECM in hand with the proper software. Dealer cannot explain why the ECM that was in the truck ran the truck even though it was the wrong ECM for the VIN.
I get the impression that the ECM was numbered wrong, per the VIN, and the aftermarket programmer company programmed it per the number on the ECM which made it not work with the injectors and whatever else is dependent on it, in Dad's truck.

Thanks,
Chris